How many of you Empaths are ticklish? Just wondering?

To post a reply, login or signup

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

I'm just wondering if the *ticklish* gene might be an indicator of high sensitivity. It would also explain why some of the kids I baby sat for who were not very ticklish grew into *not so sensitive adults*.

ponder ponder. So are you ticklish?

You can respond with a simple yes or no. I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Roxanne

updated by @roxanne: 07/23/17 09:03:31PM
Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

Ah...all I had to do was point a finger towards my children and they would curl up in screeches of *tickle laughter*. Just like their mama.

And they are very sensitive adults.

Thanks, Lisa C and SleepyhedP.

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

Me too. My Dad was a tickling tyrant, LOL. We all loved it. But I did learn that's it's more fun if the child is given a *breathing break*. LOL.

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

Very interesting, mush room. I know kids who can turn the tickle off too. And I feel like they walk between the worlds of High Sensitivity and Detachment.

Food for thought, thanks.

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

LOL. Better keep that secret, Frank. Don't want to show your weakness. haha

too funny.

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

Oh, you don't know the half of it, Sleepy. After the under arm tickling session, my father would rub his beard in our necks and that tickled THE WORST.

He is the reason I invented *the breathing break*, LOL.

but I truly feel there is a connection as I ponder on this freezing cold ugly afternoon. LOL.

The Importance of Being Jonny
@the-importance-of-being-jonny
6 years ago
794 posts
I am so ticklish. My feet and underarms. My mom always used to tickle under my arms and to this day when she does it in fun, I erupt into giggle fits.
Amaya
@amaya
6 years ago
301 posts
Put me on the "super ticklish" list too!
Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts
Everywhere but your FEET?!! That's very interesting. Hey, maybe that's because you've been using your feet in your shielding techniques with those r *earth grounding* meditations you've talked about here a few times.????? ya never know. Your feet are *super grounded now*, LOL.
Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

Thanks to you all for your responses.

I'm thinking there's a connection. I'm just not sure what it is. LOL.

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts
Behind left knee and lower back, LOL!!!
Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

Hmmm,interesting. Still, not ruling out some kind of relationship between ticklish and sensitivity....perhaps not the cause but in some ways an indicator. -- And I do believe sensitivity has roots in different causes.

but hey thanks.

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

Do you consider yourself a highly sensitive person, Ema? -- I find this response very interesting, but I still haven't figured out why. Like I feel there is a clue in here.

I'm just gonna let my feelings run as I'm contemplating this. -- It reminds me of my mother a HIGHLY sensitive person. She suffered serious trauma in her early life and turned her emotions off. Sometimes she's ticklish and sometimes she's not.

When it comes to boys I wonder if perhaps they are born sensitive but then taught by society to toughen up..

hmmmmm, I call my husband the anti-empath, but he is also very ticklish. ponder ponder ponder.

Either way...a good tickle fest can be fun. hahahaha

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

Ah, interesting, Elle, so your sensitivity to touch goes directly to your state of self confidence or appreciation for the area of the body being touched. Again I see this in a way going to being in a state of hyper vigilance. -- Veeeery interesting. And ya know what?..... I def know what you mean about that!! hahahah. When I hate my feet DO NOT TOUCH THEM. When they are all beach sexy they are all yours.

Same thing with my legs. Shaved and smooth, momma mia. Unshaved and wild..............stand back.

I will continue my pondering.......as a new batch of snow and ice fall knee deep upon us.

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

Oh, Mary!! That's me and my daughters. Like panic bells go off. With my daughters I'll just point my index finger at them and say "where will it land... where will it land" Actually they get so hysterical I have to be careful not to get kicked, LOL.

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

Aren't those great memories, Elle. You took me there. -- So important to remember the completely ridiculous gleeful moments, just rolling on the floor laughing till your sides hurt.

:-)

Thanks for sharing, Luv.

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

Oh, Krista, now I feel I must say this....project....

X marks the spot with a dash and a dot

and a

BIIIIIIIIG

question mark...

(Please tell me you've played that game before). hahahahahahahah it goes directly to the back nerves. hahaha

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

well, since I believe in the *created* empath (having to do with an environment of hypervigilance)

and the *born empath*, recessed gene or adaptation if you will.

So two equations and any number of unknown variables. When you're being tickled (I'm talking serious tickling sessions) you watch your tickler's face you commit every muscle flinch to memory..you begin to know when they are about to ATTACK!

hence the *created empath* gets a crash course in optic brain communication.

And that doesn't mean a person can't be both. So I'm guessing the *super empath* would be of combination of both.

Still, easy to create the equation...it's the unknown variables that throw it all out there for me to ponder away.

thanks again

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

I think Tickle Me Tuesday should be a Federally mandated requirement. hahahaha Love it.

And your nieces and daughter are lucky to have you. -- I know the Romany gypsies use to put their children into states of hypervigilance as a training technique. Maybe tickling is a way of doing that too. Only in bite size pieces, LOL.

Anyway, I do love your Tickle Me Tuesday idea. I really do.

Blessed Be, SleepyHed.

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

That under arm area will just paralyze me. But I do go into a kind of psychotic attack mode, LOL.

Ya know....they should have tickle wars instead of Big guns and bomb wars. Like Beyond Thunderdome...only tickle sessions. hahahaha. Oh if only I were Queen of the world.

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts
On the other hand, the not ticklish just may be extremely well trained at shielding. My friends daughter can turn it on and off like I've never seen. She's also the only kid I couldn't make laugh within 3 minutes. The egg timer test. Nobody else made it past one minute. But she's sensitive...and she's mindful. She's just a unique individual. But the only one...and I've cared for a zillion of them.
Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts
well, alright, karina. Great minds think alike. Ever crack up while your doctor tries to examine you. That's the absolute worst!! hahaha
Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

I love to hear you laugh, Lynn

tickle

tickle

tickle

(feather brush under your toes)

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

The trouble with that, Kate...is they don't know when to stop. Because you make them laugh..and laughter is a drug.

we all all need a good long hit now and then.

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

I'll bet you have a loud laugh, Amaya....the freeing kind. Clears out all the internal gunk all in one loud guffaw!! hahaha.

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts
Sillay Starr...I feel you would be a good candidate for my tickle without contact technique. See this finger.... *where will it land* ..where oh where will it land...
Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

Well, I ain't gonna be Mel Gibson...that's all I know. Soooo..I'll be Tina Turner. I'm closer to her age, anyway.

Who shall Grace Jones battle in this historic Empathic tickle fest?

Lavinia
@lavinia
6 years ago
212 posts
Very ticklish
Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

Thanks for all of your responses. I have found through life, and from observing my daughters that I am *more ticklish* at some times than others.

During these times I believe my sensitivities are heightened. -- Why? I have no idea. But it's I will continue to pay attention, and again, thank you for all of your responses.

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

Interesting, danielle b. I just had a conversation about this in PM. the empath who can turn it off. Just curious, are you able to turn off your emotions or shield your empathy as well?

curious and curiouser...

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

That is incredibly TRUE! ...which brings me once again to the hypervigilance factor. You can't be in a state of hypervigilance and tickle yourself.

I have no idea what this all means. LOL. But I do believe there is a connection to our empathiness.

Thanks, pretty lady.

(Oh wow, just noticed you posted 5 mins ago. and I just logged on. Hahahah Luv our Int'l connection.

Talk soon. Running.

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

When we are younger we are wide open.

I wonder if so many people seem to lose their ticklishness as they grow older and begin to shield themselves from the sadder nature of life.

I never figured out how to shield myself. From tickles or emotions. In fact, I felt the need to feel every emotion. My mother tried to tell me to "tune it out", but I remember saying, "when I can't feel anymore I'll stop being human."

I feel somehow this is all connected..as I ponder away.

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts
For the record: when I say "not so sensitive adults" I don't mean that as an insult. Just that they seem to have more of a Vulcan like detachment and slant towards logic than emotion. One little girl I watched grow up was exceptional at this. But as she's growing older I see her becoming more emotional. She is an adult now. It would be interesting to learn if she has become ticklish as well. -- I think I'll ask her. LOL
Bing
@bing
6 years ago
547 posts

Hi

I am extremely ticklish. I just start giggling right off the bat even if someone is just threatening to tickle me.I may be 60 years old, but I become 6 again when threatened with a good tickling. LOL

Throw some love into the wind

Bing

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

Wow! that's something to think about, Michelle.

There have been times over the years when I didn't like my husband much and I'd get this *annoying ticklish* feeling if he touched me.

There's good tickling...and there's annoying tickling.

I'll have to pay attention to see if such episodes match my mood towards the person.

Thanks.

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts
I can so see you as ticklish, Bing. Like a kid neck extended, eyes wild, laughing like it was Christmas and Halloween all wrapped into one. I kinda feel like it opens doors. Still pondering away.
Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

Ooooh, that reminds me of an obgyn story. But I too shan't tell.

Anyway very interesting thoughts. Physical manifestation of emotional awareness.

I'll try to check out that book, but lately I haven't been able to finish anything. Hoping now that I moved I'll have time to kick back and finish something.

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

Hey, that sounds like a great book, thanks, Michelle. And yes, the place feels delightfully homey. I am one happy Mountain Mama these days.

:-)

Thanks for taking the time to talk about those books. I actually have more of a hard time finishing *fiction* books these days. Broken focus, I guess. But that's all about to change.

I'm looking forward to many restful afternoons with a good book.

Take care, sweetie.

Love,

Rox

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

So, there I was still pondering about how being ticklish relates to empathy, and I googled up "the ticklish empath".

The first hit of course was this thread -- a WONDERFUL read (lol) but I then found this other truly wonderful link that I don't have time to read right now, but I read enough to know I want to share it with any of you who may be interested.

It is titled the Age of Empathy Lessons for a Kinder Society by Frans de Waal.

What I did have time to read is how the first time a primate or human makes the smile expression (as in a smile and not just passing gas) is when they are first tickled by mommy. Laughter becomes a path to synchrony the mapping of your own body over anothers. A social connecting to the people (or primates) around you.

So in this respect, being ticklish is related to empathy. -- So if laughter opens the door to synchrony (spell check on that -- NOT synchronicity) who knows how far it can go....especially if it's true that empaths have higher mirror neuron activity. (ever notice the tickler can laugh just as hard as the ticklee.--Mirror bouncing.)

Anyway, good stuff in this article. Just thought I'd share.

http://books.google.com/books?id=IynmOp5-I-0C&pg=PT60&lpg=P...

the first link will take you to the page on tickling and synchrony and this second link will take you to the first page.

I just realized I may actually own this book..in my pile of Must Read books that take up my sisters livingroom.

http://books.google.com/books?id=IynmOp5-I-0C&pg=PT60&lpg=P...

(or you can just scroll up to the top of the page)

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts
clicked on it twice and went to a blank page, shroom meister!
Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts

I keep hearing things like this. veeeeeeery interesting.

Roxanne
@roxanne
6 years ago
1,562 posts
Heightened mirror neuron activity. -- IMHO
onetrubeliever
@onetrubeliever
6 years ago
136 posts
Yes, very ticklish! On the other side of it, I don't like people I don't know to touch me - like shaking hands or a pat on the back kind of thing. To me, that is as tortuous as a a"tickle fight".
Visitor
@visitor
last year
303 posts

I'm a ticklish empath. My brother is a ticklish non-empath. I don't think there's a connection, really.

strange life
@strange-life
last year
20 posts

yep extremely =)

GreenDream
@greendream
last year
8 posts

I am SO TICKLISH, I can even tickle myself! I'm also sensitive to a lot of things in my environment. I have allergies and easily become motion sick. I think there is a correlation between these!

Guided Eagle
@guided-eagle
last year
10 posts

Well when I was young I was very ticklish. Mostly, though I learned how to block it. Crazy thing is my girlfriend can tickle me anywhere. I cant fight it or block it she's got me!!! ugh!!!!

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book