Performing.............

To post a reply, login or signup

Kit Kat
@kit-kat
2 years ago
230 posts

So tomorrow I will be singing in front of a lot of people. I'm not sure how many people on here will read this by tomorrow, but if any of you have some advice for controlling anxiety long enough to not mess up a performance, I would love to hear :)

I'm probably not the only one, but in front of a group I always feel like I am unable to perform as well as I could when I'm alone. Like I practically turn into a different person or something! It's pretty frustrating.

(oh and even after tomorrow, I'd still love to hear your suggestions. This is one of the topics that really interests me)

Thanks!

updated by @kit-kat: 03/03/17 04:31:07AM
Ecila
@ecila
2 years ago
898 posts

Deep breathing will help. Breath in 4 counts, hold it 4 counts, then release 8 counts. Breath deep down through your lower abdomen. Here's a nice video that might help...I'm sure you will be fine:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i50ZAs7v9es&list=RDsGbEzlMXtX0&index=3

The Lioness ~*Q*~
@the-lioness-q
2 years ago
126 posts
Good Luck and You can do it!!
Kit Kat
@kit-kat
2 years ago
230 posts

Yes, breathing is definitely super important. That's a great video; the nature scenes are lovely, and I feel more calm already! I bet this will help me breathe better when I sing, too :) Thanks so much!

Kit Kat
@kit-kat
2 years ago
230 posts

Thank you! Encouragement always helps :)

Kit Kat
@kit-kat
2 years ago
230 posts

I just wanted to say that the performance actually went a lot better than I though it would! Everything else about the day was somewhat stressful, funnily enough, but singing went a lot like I practiced, so I'm really grateful for that.

Here are the things that helped:

Believing that I could do it

Breathing well

And telling myself that the nerves are just me being excited to perform. My sister gave me this tip from her public speaking class, and I highly recommend it! Apparently nerves and excitement have really similar reactions in the body, so it's not hard for me to convince myself that I'm excited, even if I were scared out of my mind. But, as we all know, excitement is much more enjoyable :) and trust me, nerves can turn into excitement if you let them!

I bet this tip could also work for social settings, too - I'll have to try that...

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book