The smell of death, disease, and cancer.

To post a reply, login or signup

Fly~Robin~Fly
@flyrobinfly
2 years ago
731 posts

Hi everyone,

I'll just blurt this one straight out.

Do any of you think that you might be able to smell disease, death and/or cancer?

I think science is just scratching the surface regarding this issue. Dogs (maybe cats also) that can apparently sniff out cancer, and Doctors and Scientists trying to replicate the dogs senses? Possibly some early work being done with breath samples and ovarian cancer detection?

I have heard people on here say that they can sense death, but are there 'physical' reasons why they can do this?

I've had a couple of experiences recently that make me think that some of us may be able to 'smell'illnesses, and after doing some googling, this appears to possibly be the case?

I personally think that I know someone with the smell of death, and I believe another person I know may have undiagnosed cancer? A subtle odour(bitter/toxic?) that seems to come from the pores of the skin? I'm not talking about BO.

Some older diseases (like rheumatic fever) had their own odour. Diabetes and a few others do too.

I'm more interested in the ones that aren't discussed. Does this ring a bell with any of you? I'd love to hear of your experiences.

updated by @flyrobinfly: 05/21/17 12:15:42AM
Pat-Starbridge
@pat-starbridge
2 years ago
437 posts

I was born with a very highly developed sense of smell. I always think that I'm part blood-hound, this maybe why dogs love me. This is one of those gifts which I wish I didn't have. Anyway, I grew up in a household where a number of family members died of cancer. As I didn't know any difference, I didn't realize what I was smelling till years later when I would meet people with cancer. I noticed the same smell. Sadly, I can also smell it on people who haven't been diagnosed.

I was a caregiver to a family member, who passed but not from cancer. At one point, she had a violent seizure and ended up in the hospital. Her sense of smell wasn't as good as mine, but even she noticed that she smelled like death. She asked me to take her clothes home and wash them. During the seizure she had passed some urine and bowel, but that wasn't the smell. The minute I got near the clothes, I realized what she was talking about, it did smell like death.

I don't know if I had smelled death as a child, or perhaps we all have some sort of sense memory in which we house a memory of that scent; but it's a smell like nothing else. It has a sickly sweet smell that once you come in contact with it, you never forget it. I took the clothes home and ran them through the wash; even after three washings, I couldn't get the smell out. I ended up throwing the clothes out.

In the last several years of her life, her body started producing a very odd odor - nor cancer, not death. It was just odd and it clung to her, especially in her hair. Even on freshly washed hair, I could still smell it. After her death, I had to throw out all the bedding and the clothes she wore in the last years. Everything had that smell and it couldn't come out in the wash.

I don't know what the smell was. First I thought it was due to her medication for high blood pressure, but by the end of her life she was on very little meds. She did suffer from occasional seizures that were never diagnosed. When we speak about dying, we usually focus on what's called the "active" part of dying, but the process can start much earlier. I believe that as her body was transitioning, her body chemistry was altering.

I should also point out regarding your comment about dogs, that in addition to dogs being able to smell cancer, they are able to detect when an epileptic is going into a seizure, apparently the body chemistry alters during the seizure.

Paige
@paige
2 years ago
1 posts
Yes!!! My dogie awhile back died of a brain aneurysm the whole time I kept smelling a strange sickness smell around her. Like the smell I only smelled in the children's cancer ward I helped out in..which is also sad. But yes. If you pay attention especially if your a non smoker everything has its own scent. it makes perfect sense the body puts off a scent when sick
Rene''
@rene
2 years ago
1,194 posts
I can smell and fell death of animals. It's not pleasant. It makes me angry.
Rene''
@rene
2 years ago
1,194 posts
I have only smelled cancer when my mom was dying. But that smell was real.
Fly~Robin~Fly
@flyrobinfly
2 years ago
731 posts

Rene' thank you for bringing my attention back to this discussion. Humble apologies to Paige and Pat-Starbridge for not responding. I thought I had. Must have dreamt it.

It's reassuring to know that others have noticed this smell. It's quite a hard scent to describe. Recently I've walked past two strangers and thought to myself "there's that smell."

Unlike you Pat, I don't recall having this experience in childhood. I've only consciously noticed it in recent years. It's just not talked about in regular conversationis it?

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book