How Do You Deal With Pain That Isn't Your Own?

To post a reply, login or signup

Rocky Wolfe
@rocky-wolfe
last year
12 posts

I had such a rough day...I was hanging out with a friend and we hit the mall. I was supposed to drive him to his bf's house after, because he was close by. However, his bf kept missing the calls and when he did answer, he was saying how tired he is. My friend was frustrated and is close to the breaking point with him.

They've been dating a few years, and I consider both of them wonderful and close friends. I almost know for certain that the bf is depressed (the signs are heavy- withdrawing from things he loves, pushing away those closest, diving into work as a distraction, and having the light return to his eyes doing something he's pushed away. Also, carrying emotional baggage from years ago that he keeps bottled mostly...plus, just being around him I can sense the pain.) and my friend is frustrated that he refuses to open up about anything. His bf decided to meet us at the mall, and we hung out for a couple of hours. The whole time, I was so close to tears, felt nauseous, and felt guilty and angry at myself for having a strong, stable relationship where we make sure to talk things out!

At the same time, I was upset at the fact that I was feeling the emotional issues ofsomeone else's relationship. I inwardly berated myself the whole time for it, but it just kept getting worse.

How do I do this? How do I not have my heart break when it's not my place to have my heart broken???

updated by @rocky-wolfe: 01/09/17 04:44:10AM
Nocturne's Angel
@nocturnes-angel
last year
867 posts

I'd recommend starting of reading & implementing these techniques :http://empathcommunity.eliselebeau.com/page/empath-training

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book