Empaths and Anti-depressants?

indigovirgo
@indigovirgo
2 years ago
24 posts

I have been on lexapro for a long time. Somewhere around 7-8 years. I have recently wondered if other empaths are on anti-depressants or other medication to help manage things like depression and anxiety.

I started lexapro for panic attacks and generalized anxiety. I did have some depression mixed in as well; but mostly anxiety. I am at a point where I am slowly attempting to taper off this drug if I can handle it. Just wondered what others experiences were as empaths who might take or have taken these drugs.

updated by @indigovirgo: 09/01/18 01:46:28PM
Nyla
Nyla
@nyla
2 years ago
22 posts

I was on anti-depressants years ago. They all eventually stopped working. I am not on anything now but I am very careful not to let myself fall into a depression. I try to de-stress, exercise, and get enough sleep. Something I learned recently that might be of help, is that I have learned to tell the difference between MY depression or anxiety and someone else's. For example, I would wake up in the middle of the night with the feeling of a broken heart...the kind you get after a break up. I couldn't figure it out. Nothing was going on my life to make me feel that way. Now when I am picking up someone else's "stuff" I know it. I do all the things described in this forum; shielding, etc. And as empaths we are given the gift of "knowing." I use that one to my advantage. I tune into MY feelings and now am able to discern which feelings are mine and which feelings are coming from someone else.

Cat Whisperer
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
2 years ago
769 posts
I have been on Elavil for about 20+ years. I was able to wean myself off of it last year after discovering that I have been an empath all my life and realized that a lot of the stuff I was picking up was not mine. I do regular meditation to stay balanced. However, after being on it for so many years my body has acquired what seems to be a need for it. I cannot seem to go to sleep or stay asleep unless I take some of this drug (I bite my 25mg tablets in half) to be able to sleep. If I go without it I am up till abt 1 or 2 am and find myself waking up at 6am or waking up every hour or so all night.....not very healthy if you do this for weeks at a time.....but niether is taking a drug all the time to sleep :/ Now I don't take it for depression as much as I just take it to sleep. About 1/2 a tablet every few days when I feel that I need to catch up on sleep.
wiseriverowl
@wiseriverowl
2 years ago
32 posts

Indigovirgo, I passed your post but something has called to me to read it. I was hospitalized for an anxiety attack. It took them 5 days to figure out what was wrong with me. I lost 10lbs in the process of it, I was asked if I wanted to be put on anti-depressants but I opted out of it. something told me it was a bad Idea, so I wanted to know why. I researched it and as I found that if I took them it would dull my senses to keep my mood happier and help me stay calm. I found this information to be of good use and instead of "getting worked up" I started to use a simple trick and I still use it. it has helped me so much that I never felt the need for meds. Now I'm not saying what you did was wrong. You may be more sensitive to emotion then I am. But when I feel that I am getting that way I do 3 things. I find 4 things that I can see, 3 things I can smell, and 2 things I can touch I say them outloud. this for somereason clamsme and Irepeat it usingdifferentobjects until I feel likeI'mclam. I hope this helps you.

Best wishes WiseRiverOwl

Visitor
Visitor
@visitor
2 years ago
303 posts

I've been on generic Prozac and Clonipin (anti-anxiety) for many years. I can't wean off because the symptoms come charging back. I also take several vitamins, minerals, and food supplements to ward off the anxiety and depression. I believe it's partly due to empathy and partly genetics.

Visitor
Visitor
@visitor
2 years ago
303 posts

I've heard a lot of opinions that echo yours. I also notice you were diagnosed with mild depression due to a life event. I don't believe antidepressants are the best treatment for people in your situation. If I don't take them, I can't think straight, I can't sleep, or I sleep too much, my emotions are dark and paranoid, and I can't enjoy life at all. It's true that emotions in themselves are not dysfunctions, but I AM dysfunctional without medication. I realize it may have long-lasting side effects. That's OK with me. I feel normal now, and that's what I want. I don't think you realize what it's like to be born with crippling major depression. And yes, of course I've tried alternative methods and still do, but everything works together. I have to use all of them.

Visitor
Visitor
@visitor
2 years ago
303 posts

Karma, I can see you have a rough history. That's not the same as being born with biological depression. I was, and you'll just have to take my word for it. I don't trust doctors' opinions, have done lots of research, and yes, have gone off meds several times and had awful withdrawal symptoms. I've been doing this for about 30+ years. I'm going to stick with the meds because I have come to the conclusion that they work for me - right now. Maybe I'll find something better, but so far I haven't, and I've been looking, believe me.

Visitor
Visitor
@visitor
2 years ago
303 posts

I don't want to argue. I believe that there's something called genetic depression. It runs through my family. So does alcoholism. Fortunately I didn't get the second one. That's the way I see it. Please don't try to convince me otherwise.

Want to reply? Login here

From Our Sponsors

• empath book