Empaths and Anti-depressants?

To post a reply, login or signup

indigovirgo
@indigovirgo
last year
23 posts

I have been on lexapro for a long time. Somewhere around 7-8 years. I have recently wondered if other empaths are on anti-depressants or other medication to help manage things like depression and anxiety.

I started lexapro for panic attacks and generalized anxiety. I did have some depression mixed in as well; but mostly anxiety. I am at a point where I am slowly attempting to taper off this drug if I can handle it. Just wondered what others experiences were as empaths who might take or have taken these drugs.

updated by @indigovirgo: 01/31/17 07:51:22PM
Nyla
@nyla
last year
22 posts

I was on anti-depressants years ago. They all eventually stopped working. I am not on anything now but I am very careful not to let myself fall into a depression. I try to de-stress, exercise, and get enough sleep. Something I learned recently that might be of help, is that I have learned to tell the difference between MY depression or anxiety and someone else's. For example, I would wake up in the middle of the night with the feeling of a broken heart...the kind you get after a break up. I couldn't figure it out. Nothing was going on my life to make me feel that way. Now when I am picking up someone else's "stuff" I know it. I do all the things described in this forum; shielding, etc. And as empaths we are given the gift of "knowing." I use that one to my advantage. I tune into MY feelings and now am able to discern which feelings are mine and which feelings are coming from someone else.

Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
last year
726 posts
I have been on Elavil for about 20+ years. I was able to wean myself off of it last year after discovering that I have been an empath all my life and realized that a lot of the stuff I was picking up was not mine. I do regular meditation to stay balanced. However, after being on it for so many years my body has acquired what seems to be a need for it. I cannot seem to go to sleep or stay asleep unless I take some of this drug (I bite my 25mg tablets in half) to be able to sleep. If I go without it I am up till abt 1 or 2 am and find myself waking up at 6am or waking up every hour or so all night.....not very healthy if you do this for weeks at a time.....but niether is taking a drug all the time to sleep :/ Now I don't take it for depression as much as I just take it to sleep. About 1/2 a tablet every few days when I feel that I need to catch up on sleep.
wiseriverowl
@wiseriverowl
last year
32 posts

Indigovirgo, I passed your post but something has called to me to read it. I was hospitalized for an anxiety attack. It took them 5 days to figure out what was wrong with me. I lost 10lbs in the process of it, I was asked if I wanted to be put on anti-depressants but I opted out of it. something told me it was a bad Idea, so I wanted to know why. I researched it and as I found that if I took them it would dull my senses to keep my mood happier and help me stay calm. I found this information to be of good use and instead of "getting worked up" I started to use a simple trick and I still use it. it has helped me so much that I never felt the need for meds. Now I'm not saying what you did was wrong. You may be more sensitive to emotion then I am. But when I feel that I am getting that way I do 3 things. I find 4 things that I can see, 3 things I can smell, and 2 things I can touch I say them outloud. this for somereason clamsme and Irepeat it usingdifferentobjects until I feel likeI'mclam. I hope this helps you.

Best wishes WiseRiverOwl

last year
159 posts

Hi Indigovirgo

This may be a long post from me :) (Nothing New!! f it comes across as ranty - forgive me it truly is a passion

Many people here will already know what I have to say in concerns to synthetic influx of toxins into the brain. My absolute detest for medicinal science etc, etc.

Basically, diagnosed (with mild depression) in 2001 (My ex was truly getting me down - so in truth I was a victim of circumstance - remove the problem the happy would have returned)

I was medicated Venlafaxine/Effexor 75mg daily.... within two years dose upped to 150mg... within another year or so switched to Fluoxotine/Prozac then back to Venlafxine - I was then stuck on Venlafaxine at an extremely high dose until 2009 then finally began to wean off which took till 2012 to do so. (not without severe symptomatic hell)

During the time I was on Venlafaxine I had several mental breakdowns, suggested as Bipolar, Unipolar, Manic Depressive sent for psychiatric evaluation (brutal ugly profession).... Became dispondent, unable to absorb information, had psychotic breakdowns, crying excessively, Hypersomatic - The physical ailments, onset of arthritis, blood thickening, skin becoming transparent, brain pains, bone clicks, sinus problems, eye problems and hell..... every symptom to be had I pretty much had it. But, to the medical profession this had nothing to do with the drug.... I was a problem patient because I was just too physically and mentally ill to deal with.

On the switches and attempts to wean off, my idiotic and narcissistic doctor dropped me 75mg and at worst a full 300mg in which the withdrawal hit like a ton of bricks and more, my mental state became very, very frightening... I could go on forever

My research into these drugs became an obsession for a long time and I am well educated in the brutality of falsified science that cannot even prove itself for all the manipulative marketing in which rakes in billions (study case files, medical journals, patient and doctor testimonials)

The chemical imbalance theory is a theory regardless of the scale in which it is told as fact. Clinical trials last six weeks in opposition to the drugs being administered on a several year (if not life time) basis - I was told I would be on Venafaxine for life - I was also told when my depression became so severe, the drug was helping bring out the underlying causes of my initial `mild depression` - So.... I was just mental, and to further the devastating insult was told my lack of understanding I was mental is why I could not be helped `properly` (basically my refusal to attend psychiatric evaluations because of being bullied by the scumbags)

Chemicals - Norepinephrine, serotonin, dopamine, melatonin..... (not the natural nor synthetic) can be balanced, there is no evidence that they can be measured, weighed, seen, touched, bottled and not at all balanced etc - nothing is more than mere suggestion... in fact what is evident is disruption and erratic behaviour of chemicals, nothing more!

These drugs can indeed produce euphoric effect and even provide people with a calming periods - this being due to a blocking here and there and an influx here and there it does rely heavily on dosage, time medicated, family/medical support, stress free surroundings and a hell of a lot of detailed situational circumstances.

The withdrawal is very problematic because many patients are told as soon as they start to taper, all symptoms are actually the return of the diagnosed disease/dysfunction - Withdrawal is withdrawal and toxic brain chemical withdrawal is brutal beyond words - I (after complaints, begs etc ) managed to get a dr to help me reduce and went via a liquid dose - it took 2.5 years of dropping 2 mls per 4-6 wees - at the end harder and harder with 1ml - Coming off was was not so simple that I instantly felt fine, a year or so of coming and going symptoms - the arthritic onset stopped (still have abnormal protruding bone lumps.... but the growing stopped at least) ..... to go through all symptoms would be pages :)

But, since having recovered, I am without any mental or physical health issues (basically in the same health as I was prior to ever being medicated) although I have poor coordination and memory problems.

I had anxiety last year - again a very long story - This was as some will have already read, an empathic reaction to a lad I was working with - a new dr (of course) told me to try anti anxiety medication - I refused and after leaving the job, meditation, cutting metaphysical ties etc - I am again without any emotional problems.

Depression, anxiety, stress, sadness etc are not diseases nor dysfunctions they are reactions to life and circumstances - that is not to render the debilitating emotions obsolete, the emotions are there and to be learned and advanced from - It is the diagnosis that is obsolete - Pharma and the medical profession is one of the biggest and most powerful businesses in the word and business needs custom to survive - there is no known cures only ever treatments that are riddled with side effects, misdiagnosed and further treated also.

Your, love, anger, stress, sadness...... is you evolving spiritually - science tells you its the brain dysfunctioning - since when did emotion become a dysfunction? - who would you be without your emotional self? The brain is physical flesh and it merely computes and relies on intellect - The mind is not physical, imagination, thought, feeling.... all are non physical have no intellect

I wish you all the best in weaning/tapering - if find too difficult because 7-8 years is a long time.... ask/demand a liquid equivalent because the dose reduction will be less severe symptomatically - you can choose how long between drops also

My apologies if as I say `Ranty` :)

Lele
@lele
last year
2 posts

I love this!

Visitor
@visitor
last year
303 posts

I've been on generic Prozac and Clonipin (anti-anxiety) for many years. I can't wean off because the symptoms come charging back. I also take several vitamins, minerals, and food supplements to ward off the anxiety and depression. I believe it's partly due to empathy and partly genetics.

Visitor
@visitor
last year
303 posts

I've heard a lot of opinions that echo yours. I also notice you were diagnosed with mild depression due to a life event. I don't believe antidepressants are the best treatment for people in your situation. If I don't take them, I can't think straight, I can't sleep, or I sleep too much, my emotions are dark and paranoid, and I can't enjoy life at all. It's true that emotions in themselves are not dysfunctions, but I AM dysfunctional without medication. I realize it may have long-lasting side effects. That's OK with me. I feel normal now, and that's what I want. I don't think you realize what it's like to be born with crippling major depression. And yes, of course I've tried alternative methods and still do, but everything works together. I have to use all of them.

last year
159 posts

Hi Visitor Please accept what I say as being from the heart

I will articulate what you are saying yourself - If you do not take them you cant think straight, sleep, or sleep to much - Withdrawal is brutal and forever the intent for you to be on for life - Please read the list of withdrawal symptoms on your meds it is vital to distinguish a cause to why you experience the symptoms - not because you are dysfunctional by nature but because the withdrawal hits within hours.. One minute your brain is flooded with synthetic chemicals the next it is deprived and like a need for a hit for any drug will explode into a manic desperation til it gets it. stopping is brutal (and actually very dangerous)

I, will elaborate on me somewhat- I do indeed know what it is like to be born into emotional hell - taken away by social services at 8 months, in a kids home with siblings till 5, taken away from them all to a life of hell till 14, bounced around care homes till 16 then expected to live as an adult - fell pregnant at 17 and bullied - I was indeed a very unhappy child and not a very happy adult but, I never once looked at my life and blamed my hell on it. The sadness came because I could no longer run away from it all - I had responsibility and feared I would be useless and the bullying was too much to bear - I needed help to be as strong as I always had been and that help came in form of a brain damaging drug.

`Depression` is merely a term meaning `suppression` of emotion that is widely and falsely used to determine dysfunction - it is not a dysfunction to be emotional regardless of the conditioning that has you believing so. It means life is not in balance for you and something has to change :)

No one is born depressed - you are born without expectation - life determines emotional response though - hell is hell - suppressing it further will never assist you. As an Empath you have to identify picking up on others not everything in your mind is yours but, it will be once having learned to clear

please start researching the drugs and the withdrawal - NEVER quit taking only a very slow tapering will ever have you cope with the symptomatic influx

Visitor
@visitor
last year
303 posts

Karma, I can see you have a rough history. That's not the same as being born with biological depression. I was, and you'll just have to take my word for it. I don't trust doctors' opinions, have done lots of research, and yes, have gone off meds several times and had awful withdrawal symptoms. I've been doing this for about 30+ years. I'm going to stick with the meds because I have come to the conclusion that they work for me - right now. Maybe I'll find something better, but so far I haven't, and I've been looking, believe me.

last year
159 posts

Hon I was 300mg I was suffering severe withdrawals, cold turkey and more - There is no such thing as genetic depression - an unhappy family is unhappy family - to say it has run the line of generations is another form of manipulation to have you take the drug that pharma profits billions from

there is no evidence of a chemical imbalance nor genetics causing mental problems other than the same family members taking the medications.

You (without realising) are constantly saying stopping the meds cause symptoms and you are so ready to believe they are you yet the drug information leaflet will tell you itself it is withdrawal

When I was weaning myself (liquid doses) I was religiously devoted to the medical professionals who actually knew what I as a patient was going through.

http://davidhealy.org/psychiatry-gone-astray/ (Please read the third paragraph because you are truly dependent on both the drug and whomever has drummed into you, you are in need of them)

You will probably even assume my posting to you is an attack on you and your `illness`? Hon on the contrary I attack the drug and medical profession - Taking several vitamins, food supplements and minerals is dangerous (have you checked all interactions?) Taking too many pills and such you are seriously in jeopardy of harming yourself physically from the inside I worry alot about people and hon seriously I am worried you will take all I say as an attack..... please read as I have written to be read.... you truly are able to come off and find yourself again :)

Visitor
@visitor
last year
303 posts

I don't want to argue. I believe that there's something called genetic depression. It runs through my family. So does alcoholism. Fortunately I didn't get the second one. That's the way I see it. Please don't try to convince me otherwise.

last year
159 posts

I do not argue hon, I do what I can to help - You can only do what is right for you

I wish you all the best

Nikki3
@nikler
last year
116 posts
I have been offered anti depressants many many times. I always turn them away as I'm not depressed but because there is no description of my issues in a medical journal doctors hands are tied. There's a time and place for the medical dr, the natropath, and the spiritual and mental guides. It's about being whole and treating with the appropriate 'medicine'. I talk about the power of the mind all the time to people who are struggling. In every aspect of our life we look for the easy way out, a quick fix, a pill or advice that will take it all away. Weight loss, depression, grief, sadness, jealousy, poverty, etc. The reason we do this is because the path is hard, we don't know how, we don't have support or we feel somehow it's wrong to go through it. Each of us has the power within our mind and our will to take control of our lives and our actions. We can make decisions. Our minds are weak and it takes time and effort and failures to strengthen our ability. Just like a weightlifter starts with 2lbs weights and works his way up... we have to be satisfied with small decisions and baby steps and not see a fall as complete failure. It's a journey. Always focus on the end goal, make plans, map your steps, note the decisions you are capable of making and note the ones you want to be so you can recognize the steps in between. do what is right not what you feel. You have the power. Surround yourself with people who will encourage and support, get rid of negativity. Make a series of good choices. I found this article really interesting.http://upliftconnect.com/shamanic-view-of-mental-health/You are on the right track, one day at a time, one decision at a time, strengthen your mind and your will one bit at a time. You will look back and see how far you've come.
Nikki3
@nikler
last year
116 posts
Speaking of anxiety I never experienced it until my son was born, his father left, my life was upside down. I started getting panic attacks too. It was horrible. I would go visit my family 8 hours away, wake up at 6 am pack up my son and drive home because I needed to be home... now.I'm better, I still get them, but it's a battle with my mind. Asking myself if there's really an emergency, why do I feel this? Is it rational? I talk to myself internally, find a quiet place to meditate, tell myself there's nothing wrong and everything will be fine. I tell my body to shut it down, lower my heart rate, soften the sharp edges of the feeling and focus on what's important. My family, live in the moment enjoy their company. That's what I came for and there's no rational reason for throwing everything in my truck and burning home. There just isn't. I don't always win but it's so much easier than it was 10 years ago.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book