sensitivities(touch, hearing, smell, etc)

To post a reply, login or signup

Tonyvancity
@tonyvancity
last year
29 posts

Hello!....my question to Empaths today is: are you very sensitive in specific areas? for example i have very sensitive hearing(i can hear Everything), my tastebuds and sense of smell is very strong, i am pretty sensitive to touch by others or can easily feel a tiny bug on my skin or in hair, i get highly offended by bad odours/cigg smoke/chemical smells....but love fragrances of flowers, colognes/perfumes/good home cooking/pastries. Reallllly love music (altho im just too lazy to learn, but i love all sorts of musical instruments...for now i just love music on my radio..). My last sensitivity are from my eyes: all my photos of me i am either squinting from day light or wearing sunglasses outdoors. I was born with a badly unfocused right eye and in general i am fairly sensitive to bright lights , altho i crave the Sunlight and i am always outside. I might of missed a few other senses , but that is the gist of it.

updated by @tonyvancity: 09/18/17 01:16:36PM
Kit Kat
@kit-kat
last year
230 posts

I am sensitive in almost every aspect... Sensitive to color, sight, sound, touch, smell (I can't handle colognes and perfumes.. I prefer the smell of nothing lol), taste... you name it, I'm probably sensitive to it. It sounds like you're a very visual person - so am I! :)

Lately my hearing has been so sensitive that I've wanted to wear earplugs at night and throughout the day :/

On top of it all, it's kind of funny that I have a mostly-high pain tolerance :)

p.s. I can relate SO MUCH to what you wrote about pictures.. It makes me angry when people make me squint into the sun for a picture, and now I have a better idea as to why - I think I'm more sensitive to light that others are, like you were saying! I feel like the sun is burning holes in my retinas haha

Oh yeah - does anyone else have a complex about photos in general?

I feel like I look like a completely different person in pictures than in real life, so I've always tried to avoid being in front of a camera. It makes me so uncomfortable...

DemiPanda
@demipanda
last year
69 posts
I'm sensitive in smell and hearing. Sharp and loud sounds offend me but I can close my nose to smells. I don't smell anything unless I try to. And I can conjure up certain smells to cover a smell so foul I can't block it out. I am also sensitive to touch, but most sensitive when it comes to people I don't want touching me...kinda like a defense mechanism. I also am good at not feeling pain. I can ignore pain to the point my body doesn't pick up on it. I guess that's high pain tolerance? I also hate bright lights. I cannot stand unnatural lighting now a days, I prefer shaded areas that are naturally lit, specifically. XD Nothing else floats my boat and everything else gives me a headache.
Keltybug
@keltybug
last year
21 posts

Yes to all the above. If I have a loose hair on my body, I will go nuts until I can get it off of me. And yet, real pain, I have chronic pain now, can not shut it out like I used to. Might be part of the reason it's so bad now.. I ignored it for too long and wasn't being proactive in changing some things that could have helped me now.

Noise is my major one! A barking dog will end up making me feel I am going into a rage response. I have to have a fan or aC, or heater going at all times, depending on the weather, to muffle outside noise. I love music, but will start to feel like my brain is 'dry'. That's the only way I can describe it. Some women's voices send me up the wall !!! I don't hear a word they are saying as I am too busy trying to tune out the noise.

I can not stand for my dog to brush by my legs. After about the third time, again, I am feeling the rage response... I really have to work on this one.. it's not like I can explain to her why she needs to stop.

There are certain people who I do not want to touch me. Yet I am a huger. If I get an uncomfortable feeling around someone and am already fighting off the negativity and noise, touching me is the last thing I need.

Have been spending way to much time alone. Sometimes I need exposure to put it behind me... And I have two times a year I am more sensitive that other. Summer and Winter. I just get weary from the whole thing sometimes..

Scott
@scott
last year
7 posts
I pick up on people's intention. I am aware of people's connection to me.
Nyla
@nyla
last year
22 posts

Its interesting that others have the same sensitivities. I have all that you mention. I am sensitive to sound, smells, touch, tastes, and I have to wear sunglasses all year long, even in the winter or my eyes will tear up to the point it hurts. I hate getting my picture taken. I never really thought about this being related to being an empath, though. Hopefully someone here will be able to explain it to us. Or maybe its as simple as the fact that we are not only sensitive to emotion and energy but absolutely everything we encounter.

Kate
@kate
last year
131 posts

Really interesting, love this subject ^^

Ever since very young I've had a very good hearing to the point i had to always ask my parents to lower the volume on TV, Radio or when talking and I was simply not a fan of high pitched voices or verbal fights which unfortunately i got a lot of (my parents had a lot of disagreements). I also had issues in clubs, at the metro or with certain high pitched kitchen blenders, and i still do. On the other hand, I can perceive distant sounds and whispers to a certain extent and in certain situations my hearing can get really acute (a few moments before falling asleep). It is no secret and my family knows closed doors won t help when they want to talk IF by any chance I happen to be curious. I believe that this trait is merely my ability to concentrate on a certain sound/frequency and isolate it. I do have a very good concentration.

My least good sense is the eyesight as well, due to the hours I've worked/spent/lost time in front of the computer and some genetic sensibility.

My sense of smell is off put by unnatural fregnances even though i wouldn t characterise it as the most sensible. Not sure how you call the ability to sense the environment around you and what moves. I know i've always been catching small fish under rocks bare handed and lizards, or following stuff through high grass using this "sense" ^^ :)) especially when i was small. Martial arts and those movies or clips about shaolins absolutely fascinate me. It unfortunately used to go a bit wrong as soon as night came, and i know i was afraid of the dark due to the fact that i could sense stuff of which origin i was unsure of.

I am sensible to a whole other range of external stimuli around me however among which the thoughts and intention of the other one, due to which i can now appear intrusive, as I try to no longer let them affect me negatively or affect my decisions to such an extent.

The traits made me a big lover of nature and animals and a partial hater of human gatherings, where non-verbal talk was being lost big time and I went through a lot of misunderstandings or ended up feeling really drained and had no idea how to stop it without stopping being myself. It's safe to say my sensibility made me insensible in a way, if you get how that works xD High defenses from an external point of view but essentially i was still internalizing everything.

All these taken together were more of a handicap for me in the society i've grown up with.. with a few exceptions, teachers and adults that saw in the "quiet kid that liked to read and look at people" potential. I had to read a lot about psychology and human behavior to be honest... to come to understand myself better as well.

Maybe they are just a sum of good hearing/perception/etc... other elements, who knows.

Christina3
@christina3
last year
7 posts
ive senses in all forms seems to be common with most of the people I have met that share similar traits. Myself included. I just had my hear tested and my left ear is hearing at around 20kHz while my right is slightly lower. The down side its improving but if say a dog whistle is nearby my eyes become shifty and my equilibrium goes haywire. What I do think about it all the added sensitivity being heightened while pain tolerance is also high. A theory which has been formulating more and more with each reply is this: although hypersensitivity is our gift in all areas including emotional, physical pain when felt(whether why or how)we have the ability to channel the same energy we use to pick up on the world around and naturally use to to shield. If I understand that my intuition, emotional, physical and mental abilities are more present than others, then I should he able to use that to shut out pain. Let me know what others think
RyuukoGo
@ryuukogo
last year
110 posts

Like most of you I am sensitive to just about anything...but my 2 extreme sensitivities are:

My eyes are sensitive to infra red...I had an eye test years ago and remarked the devise when used made my eyes warm...she told me it uses infra red lights.

I can't be physically held/touched by anything living for more than 1-30 minutes...my nerves get over loaded and my skin feels like it is on fire....which means my SO can't sleep cuddling or holding on my while I sleep....the time seems to be in proportion to the surface area touched....I can hold hands for 30 minutes...and can cuddle for just a few...or less.

Christina3
@christina3
last year
7 posts
Ryuukogo-I read your reply and I realized that, not to such an extent, I took have naturally avoided touch with people and most visible once my sensitivity exploded a few years back. However I have a question. Is it only with living or like in my case, children and animals are much less affected. I use animals and the earth to feel the void a little because it replenishes that human desire for touch. Whereas when it comes to my god children and many friends children, I use in reverse to heal or comfort.
PatrickDC
@patrickdc
last year
5 posts
Like others, I'm sensitive to sound, mainly unexpected sounds. I now live on the top floor of an apartment building, but in the past always had neighbors above me. And even the slightest sound above would resonate loudly inside me. How joyful now to be able to sleep through the night and not be disturbed. Funny thing though, I live near San Francisco International Airport and large jets sometimes fly over. The engines don't bother me much for some reason, I think because there are so many wonderful things about this apartment, and also that I moved here from a very unpleasant living situation. This a quiet apartment complex but I do sleep with an air purifier running all night providing a little bit of "white noise."
RyuukoGo
@ryuukogo
last year
110 posts

Christina...an inanimate object such as a blanket,pillow can be against me with no problem...years ago I inherited a dog and the first night he tried to sleep on me,across my chest,I kept on having to push him off due the burning sensation...I have read there is an illness that the nerves get over stimulated and can be treated with a medication...but with my condition it is only a problem if it is something livingthat is in contact with me..as I told my friends that know I am an Empath ...it does has it drawbacks being so sensitive.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book