Is this common among other Empaths?

To post a reply, login or signup

LoconnorO
@loconnoro
last year
151 posts

Hello everyone I hope you all are well. I've found recently that people seem to look to me and talk to me easier in situations where we are just meeting, or if someone is a little uncomfortable because there is no one in a room they know to talk to, they'll talk to me. Is this common for other Empaths as well? I've also been called things like "too nice". People always treat me well too and tend to feel horrible if they find out they offended me... I guess what I'm trying to ask is if this is a common response to people who are Empaths... Any and all feedback is appreciated and if you're treated or responded to differently please share haha. Thanks and God Bless!

updated by @loconnoro: 01/09/17 12:55:22AM
Keltybug
@keltybug
last year
21 posts

Always, as long as I can remember. Even as a child. My parents, as dysfunctional as all that was, my mom always talked to me as if I were another adult.

I have had people be standing in line in the grocery store and tell me their life story. It is an honor, a blessing and curse when we are tired, Have our own stuff going on and we have no more room.

But I will always look at it as a blessing first. That is good that you send out that you have a safe space around you.

LoconnorO
@loconnoro
last year
151 posts

the same thing happens and happened with my mother. To this day I'm the first person she comes to for all of her problems and I don't understand why most of the time.

Keltybug
@keltybug
last year
21 posts

In some ways I know now, that it wasn't healthy for me... I was not able to have the words or life experiance to help her. So it left me feeling inadequate. Guess we just send out something that lets people know we are safe to talk to.

Rene''
@rene
last year
1,194 posts
Yes, in my adult life, I have people to apologize for using bad language in my presence. I thought at first it was because I was a woman but then notice in a crowd , with other ladies present , they would say , I'm sorry you had to hear that Rene'. I finally ask a guy why does he feel like he needs to apologize to me for cussin' around me, he said Idk, cause your Rene' and it makes me feel bad to think your going to think less of me. I told him I'm not an angel but I do appreciate it. I have been treated like I have a halo glowing around my head. (Except by narcissist, which I can point out in a crowd) But I don't. I get mad and use to have a bad temper but I try to replace anger with love. In my opinion, you know how we can feel people's energy, I think they feel ours also. Especially when our vibration is high. But I do get "soul tired" from all the people needing help. I have to cut cords almost everyday just to feel peace in my head. I think that's my I love being by myself. But my child hood wasn't a joyful life
Gem
@gem
last year
220 posts
Yes people I've just met often tell me their life story or current problems with lightening speed! On the other hand though...I wouldn't say I've had many people (other than very close family or friends) go out of their way for me..quite the opposite actually. Its like they pick up on my unease..of THEIR unease ..like they know they can have me bend over backwards to help them but its not reciprocal. This was my own fault for trying to avoid feeling their displeasure/frustration or anger if I didn't go out of my way for them.Its only since harnessing this gift and developing others ..I've let go of those 'people pleasing' behaviours that ultimately negatively impacted me. I still find it hard and uncomfortable to say 'no' but it's absolutely necessary and it's cut my 'friends' down to just the genuine ones lol! X
LoconnorO
@loconnoro
last year
151 posts

This happens to me too, and I can definitely relate with the childhood part too. I think a lot of us here have that in common in one way or another and all to different extremes. It's so annoying that people feel like they have to act different;y around me, I can tell when they're not being their true selves and that's all that I want from people is for them to be who they are and not worry what I or others think. Thank you so much for the reply!

Keltybug
@keltybug
last year
21 posts

This for me too !! I have learned to say no ! And along with that, can weed out the 'users and abusers'. Those I stay away from as a general rule anyway.

Kit Kat
@kit-kat
last year
230 posts

Oh my goodness YES!!! I knew I had to reply when I read what you wrote about being called "too nice" haha (Multiple people have called me 'too nice' as well! In those words exactly, too)

Also I can relate to feeling TERRIBLE if someone finds out they offended me in any way. I -strongly dislike- that feeling :)

I've noticed that the people who are most drawn to me are those with disabilities, those who are suffering, and those who are shy/fearful of being emotionally hurt. No one can cater to others' needs as well as we can, so I think that's why we're seen as "safe" people to talk to. Sometimes people offend me and I make sure they don't find out that they have...

Kit Kat
@kit-kat
last year
230 posts

Me, too lol Lots of people seem to pick up on my unease of THEIR unease! That's a great way to describe it.... Sometimes I'm uneasy even just because I feel like I understand people better than they would like me to :)

Kit Kat
@kit-kat
last year
230 posts

Wow, this is so interesting that we've had such similar experiences.. Sometimes I'm treated like an angel, too! It's like people don't quite know how to respond to our lifestyle choices and who we are.

"Soul tired"... that's so true. So many people to help, but not enough time/resources/energy. I think being an empath is like having tons and tons of spiritual energy, but not enough physical energy to capture it all.

I always feel like I have lots of vibrational energy trapped within me, but that my soul is drooping at the same time. And I feel tired almost all the time.

Kit Kat
@kit-kat
last year
230 posts

I've always been able to relate to adults more than people my age.. Maybe what you said is part of why! Thanks for your insights :)

DemiPanda
@demipanda
last year
69 posts
Everyone but my family does infact treat me this way. I'm so glad my generation is chock full of new thoughts bc otherwise I believe no one could keep up with me. I'm a very out-going character and people, more specifically my family and older people can sometimes not keep up with me bc I'm generally a very happy character especially since I'm lucky enough to be around so much nature, negativity only impacts me for so long! I have noticed when I smile other's smile and everyone says I have a beautiful smile and can brighten the darkest of moods. People can somehow notice when I'm down and everyone else becomes angry around me. People don't go out of their way to cheer me up infact most ignore me when i'm down or feel awkward so I just don't let anyone see for very long if i can't help it. And my family but I'm sure most of us have those problems. ^-^ There are some people though that are different and they seem to get so very mad at me when I'm happy and even angrier when I'm sad. Alot of my family is like this. When I'm sad they start berating me and when I'm happy they berate me too. I often have no idea what to do in these situations. They have been a major trigger of multiple panic attacks. Does anyone have similar experience? Do you know how to handle it? It would be helpful if anyone has tips to offer! ^-^
4peace
@4peace
last year
187 posts

Personally I think it's pretty common for empaths. People tell me things then say "I don't know why I told you that." Like it shocks them. I seem to draw people who are mentally ill or disabled. Mostly mentally ill. Most of my friends have some type of mental illness like bipolar disorder or PTSD. I think people pick up that we are "safe." I don't really get treated special, maybe because I'm fat -but that also makes me "safe" for a lot of people.

LoconnorO
@loconnoro
last year
151 posts

I feel like I attract people who are suffering or feel less about themselves and I'm very concerned about that for some of the people I become friends with because I'll want to be closer to them because I can tell something is wrong, as in i get this really uneasy and almost helpless feeling every time I'm around them, but then they stop talking to me which is extremely unsettling haha. And I TOTALLY do the same thing, i hate the feeling of how awkward and almost self hate someone gets when they offend me lol.

LoconnorO
@loconnoro
last year
151 posts

I try to stay positive most of the time too, even when I'm in a less than friendly mood people find me enjoyable to be around because I tend to be a lot more sarcastic and funny lol.It's the same for me as well! My family doesn't treat me at all like other people do and often times do their best to tell me and make me feel like I'm a horrible person, I'm so sad it's the same for you because I know, too, how hard it can be first hand :( . What I usually do is limit how often I'm around my family because they treat me horribly and after a while they started asking questions why I avoided them more and would stay in my room more often and I let the know the way they treated me made me start avoiding them. It caused major depression and self hate problems and I didn't get over it until my senior year of high School because I made new friends and talked to people and by the end of the year many people were telling me how much they would miss me and it was a real moral booster. I hope things get better for you! best of luck!

WindWolf
@windwolf
last year
117 posts
Very common occurrence for empaths I've heard, for me it definitely is. Just last Saturday I was at a community festival, sitting on a bench looking at a pond, and a man walks up and asks if he could sit down. I said yes and he introduced himself then started telling me about what brought him back to the city, where he'd been, everything. Midway through our conversation another man walks up, acknowledges each of us are wearing "talismans" of different faiths and proceeds to offer us a blessing. Unfortunately I had to leave for work and the man seemed genuinely saddened that our conversation had to end. It happens a lot, people feel at ease enough with us to talk and even reveal things they wouldn't talk about normally. And as for the too nice part, I get that a lot until someone hits that final nerve like they're training for a boxing match.
PatrickDC
@patrickdc
last year
5 posts
Same for me. Here in San Francisco our streets are filled with thousands of homeless brothers and sisters, many with mental health issues. When I walk down the street, many reach out to me. I don't initiate contact, they just sense me. I don't make eye contact because it troubles me to see their plight. It happens on the bus too where it can be distressing as it's not easy to get away if I feel unsafe. A crowded bus and the mentally ill brother will only come up to me. Reminds me of the scene in "Ghost" when the deranged spirit approaches Patrick Swayze on the subway.
PatrickDC
@patrickdc
last year
5 posts
Ha! My friend would love this thread because he's always amazed how much I learn about strangers in a short amount of time. For example he'll be waiting for me while I'm in line for a bit buying tickets or items. Afterward, I'll tell him about the person I met who was also waiting. I find out she is visiting from Alabama and is buying tickets to take her grandkids to the movies, but not before they're going to Cheesecake Factory to celebrate her grandson's seventh birthday and then take him to the Apple Store to buy some new electronic device he's been asking about.
Nikki3
@nikler
last year
116 posts
It's annoying sometimes. I'm a very private person and introverted so I'm always amazed at what people will tell me. Complete strangers walk up and start talking about their lives and lead into very personal things. I hear I don't know why I told you that, you're very easy to talk to, thanks for listening, I've never told anyone but, etc. All the time! I get hugs a lot, sometimes people hang on longer than I think is necessary... I don't really like to be touched unless it's someone I'm close to. I think they feel my calm nature and want a few extra seconds of it. It's exhausting really and I spent a lot of time alone and I say no to many social events unless I have a close friend with me. I think it's very common.
LoconnorO
@loconnoro
last year
151 posts

I'm the same way about being touched except by people I'm close to. I'm not even close with my family, I guess it's because I've seen how they really are and know it's not in my best interests to talk to them. The only people I don't mind touching me are the people that I like being around and have a good feeling and people that I see myself opening up to and talking with. I have to spend a lot of alone time too, but unfortunately most of the people in my life don't understand that because I'm usually extremely happy and outgoing and sociable when I'm near people... But if I don't get alone time I go crazy and become beyond antisocial haha

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book