The Meaning of Names

To post a reply, login or signup

Kit Kat
@kit-kat
last year
230 posts

So.. I don't normally post any discussions on here :) But I've been thinking about names a lot lately, and wanted to see what you guys think about how our names effect who we are.

There's this site (that I'm semi-obsessed with):http://www.first-names-meanings.com

I am amazed at how accurate this site is with regard to numerology and name interpretation... What I really wonder, though, is: would I be a different person if my parents had named me something else? It really seems like it.. especially since even the name descriptions for some of my nicknames seem to be accurate in describing me.

One of the first things that the description for my name says is "hypersensitive and emotional." Maybe this is why I am an empath?

I've always felt like I could be whoever I wanted to be, but that I couldn't change my sensitivity levels/empathic nature.

Anyway, I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on this!

updated by @kit-kat: 01/09/17 12:55:15AM
Rene''
@rene
last year
1,194 posts
Wow, that is close. I had to use Rene'e though because Rene' is a masculine spelling I just found out. There were about three different ways to spell my name and all slightly different. Thanks for sharing
Kit Kat
@kit-kat
last year
230 posts

glad you liked it! :)

WindWolf
@windwolf
last year
117 posts
Ok that scared me a little bit. When I was born my mom gave me a name, but she was still feeling the effects of the meds they gave her at the hospital, so so my dad changed it and the name my mom gave me became one of my middle names. I looked up both names that I was given at birth, they both describe me perfectly. Which brings up the thought, maybe you only have certain options for your name. Perhaps when our spirits and bodies connect, only certain names stick out to our parents or whoever names us because of the character of the soul.
Kit Kat
@kit-kat
last year
230 posts

That's really interesting.. You may be right! I actually haven't checked the description of my middle name to see if it describes me - I'll have to do that.

It does seem to me like words and names have intrinsic meaning. I think they're powerful somehow beyond the generally accepted understanding of "words having power."

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
last year
1,185 posts

The most surprising thing to me was that out of the many thousands of first names listed they did not have mine! Boo hoo. I did not think my first name was that unusual either, though I've only met 3 other people in my whole life who have it. :-)

C. Cat

Kit Kat
@kit-kat
last year
230 posts

huh.. That's too bad! Well you could try your middle name? I did end up looking at the description for my middle name, and some of the attributes definitely fit with me. :) My first name's kind of unusual, too.

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
last year
1,185 posts

Hi Kit Kat,

I thought about looking at my middle name but the only person who ever used it was my mom, and only when she was mad at me, lol. Also, it is an extremely common name, the opposite of my first name.

I did look at my husband's name and it did not fit at all.....the exact opposite of how he is. It is a very common name and I wonder if that makes it less targeted or not. I looked at his middle name too, which is also pretty common, and once again to my surprise, they did not have it.

I do think names leave an impression on people though, so the site is interesting to look at. There are subconscious associations to certain names in our society and what sort of people are likely to have such names, whether right or wrong.

C. Cat

Nyla
@nyla
last year
22 posts

I had so much fun on this name- site. Thanks for posting the link. The accuracy was downright scary. I think when we come into this world we have already chosen/been told what our name will be. So for example a baby that is adopted gets a name by his biological mother only to have it changed when he/she is adopted. The adopted name is what the child lives with so that is probably his "real" name. I wonder though about people who change their names. Celebrities for example. Does their personality change when they change their name? Or is their new name their "real" name?

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
last year
1,185 posts

Hi Nyla,

FWIW, I have never been called by the name on my birth certificate. Nobody thought it fit me. People came up with all sorts of nicknames instead. At age 17, a new boyfriend told me what I'd heard so many times, that my name did not fit me and he wasn't going to call me that. He gave me a nickname that fit and stuck so everyone called me that, and I finally changed it legally a few years later. I am now 65, so I've gone by that name for most of my life. As noted above in my first post, the name I go by was not in their database, despite my having met 3 others with it in my life, but the name on my birth certificate was there when I looked it up. It fit me about 30% , so it was not very accurate.

C. Cat

Kit Kat
@kit-kat
last year
230 posts

Hi C. Cat!

haha That makes sense then why you wouldn't want to go by your middle name! That's crazy that your husband's name didn't fit him at all.. Maybe he didn't like those attributes when he was young, so he chose to be the opposite of them?

I know - I've emailed the creators of the site, but they haven't gotten back to me. I have about 10 questions for them :) lol One being, "is there a way to submit names that aren't in the database"? I've thought of a handful that aren't in there. 'Phineas" for example isn't there, and I thought that one was pretty common.

Kit Kat
@kit-kat
last year
230 posts

You're welcome :) I'm glad others have found it interesting, too! I know it can be addictive, though so watch out! lol Especially the "name compatibility" aspect of it.

I've tried my name with so many different guys names... & what's really funny is that it was completely accurate about what kind of relationship I would have with a "Jake". It described the relationship as "torrid," which has been the case with two "Jake"s that I have known in my life. It has been like there was practically electricity between us, & being an empath is kind of like that already, so you can imagine how overwhelmed I was being around them. Like getting an electric shock of emotional energy!

I really like your ideas about names! That's interesting because like I said, w/ my name it says "hypersensitive," but I feel less hypersensitive when I'm called by any of my many nicknames (I have like, 20 nicknames haha). So I think you're right that the names we're called by make the biggest difference in who we are.

The difference between a "Jacob" and a "Jake" (as an example) is profound, and I would go a lot better with a Jacob rather than a Jake, so that kind of goes along with what you were saying!

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
last year
1,185 posts

Kit Kat,

You are SO right about variations of a name making a huge difference. When younger, I had relationships with two men who turned out to be sociopaths. Both were named Jay. One of them had Jacob as his middle name too! I also know someone with a son named Jay who is a sociopath. I am not saying all men named Jay are sociopaths, just that in my life, they have been, and I dated a lot of frogs before finding one I thought was a prince.

Phineas is not nearly as common as my husband's middle name which was not there.....Phillip. My first name is probably more common than Phineas also. At first glance it seems there are so many names on there, but then we have to take into account other countries and languages, so there really aren't that many.

C. Cat

Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
last year
726 posts
Checked it out...funny, my birth name didn't describe me at all, but a variant of my birth name that I go by in my social life described me exactly. I never felt like my birth name fit me. Maybe I should officially change my name (pondered this quite often...but it's a pain to do). Thanks for sharing :)
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
last year
1,185 posts

Cat Whisperer,

Just an FYI. You may know this already, but many people don't.....

My first husband was a lawyer, which is why I found this out and went ahead and changed my name to my nickname, after he told me I did NOT have to go to court like most people think. All you have to do is just change it.

Write to social security, or call them or go online and tell them you are changing your name and need a new card. Order new checks from the bank, get anew driver's license, charge cards, etc. Yes, this takes time and is a hassle, but it doesn't cost anything or involve waiting for a court date, like legal proceedings to change your name do. It's no more than you'd go through if you got married and took a husband's name.

I did this a long time ago, so if you check this out and find out the law has changed, please let me know!

I would go for it if you really feel like the nickname is the real you. I got SO tired of explaining that my name is _____ but please don't call me that, call me _____, especially in job interviews. I thought it sounded a bit flaky. ;-)

C. Cat

Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
last year
726 posts
CC, when I looked into it, it required notifying all of my creditors of such change, SSA wanted my birth certificate or marriage license before they would change it....same with passport. Tried to change at license office....had to have legal document showing name change (I.e. Marriage license, birth certificate, legal notification from court). Wish it were easier but I guess with all of the stuff going on in the world today it makes it harder to do. Thanks
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
last year
1,185 posts

Hi Cat Whisperer,

I am sorry it is such a hassle now. I wondered about the increasing reach of govt. into everything and how it might affect this. That's too bad. :-(

C. Cat

Visitor
@visitor
last year
303 posts

I hated the name I was given so I changed it legally to something very similar. It still has the same meaning (it's a version of the original name) but it sounds prettier. I always felt like I was wearing the wrong clothes when I had the old name. Needless to say, I'm very sensitive to names. I get offended by celebrities who name their kids strange names, and people who name their pets joke names. Maybe I'm a little uptight about it, but I like Sweden's strict law about naming children - they have to be normal Swedish names and they have to be spelled uniformly.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book