What is this???

To post a reply, login or signup

DemiPanda
@demipanda
last year
69 posts
http://www.theatlantic.com/video/index/474588/why-empathy-is-a-bad-thing/In this video a person argues against the existence of empathy! Saying it is a bad thing! But he does not hold a true understanding of it. Using more worry for a baby than global warming as an example! As a universal empath I share flora and geomantic. I care very deeply for our Earth. All empaths care for different and same aspects of life and death. Empathy goes deeper than caring. And empathy on a normal level is neccessary. Without it I am sure humans would've massacred themselves into oblivion a long time ago. What is your opinion on this? It worries me that people may stumble upon this and gravely misunderstand.
updated by @demipanda: 01/16/17 02:09:08PM
Xerzel
@xerzel
last year
13 posts

this has to be the dumbest thing ive ever seen in so long...

DemiPanda
@demipanda
last year
69 posts
I know! I agree! I do not even understand how someone could come to this conclusion.
Goodenergyhealing
@goodenergyhealing
last year
373 posts

I think he has a point to a degree.... Please be aware though that he argues about empathy, not 'empaths'. And perhaps he should have added - short-sighted empathy? I agree though that it is not rare that humans look for short term relief of suffering - their own, or that of others. They will do the minimum to find some relief,and then keep ignoring the actual root causes of that suffering (unless it bites them in the bum so hard, it cannot be ignored further). And some people just get so enveloped in drama, their emotions block any rational and more long term strategic thinking.... I guess it is rarely ill-intended though. Many people might neither have the time, energy, resources, or education to do more....There might be some intellectual arrogance in his talk? He is basically ranting, possibly with a cause, but without giving the people better tools to help (themselves or others). Without giving people better understanding and tools though, any rant is pretty much moot....

I guess as empath most of us will deal/ have dealt with so many negative emotions, we know how they can get in the way of good decision making, and effective healing processes? I might be projecting? I am definitely not without compassion, but I have been called a heartless monster more than once, when calling people's 'drama games', and not playing along - lol. As such many of us will be more long term thinkers. Also many of us feel suffering to it's root cause, so we do not just apply band aids. when helping heal...

Love and Light!

DemiPanda
@demipanda
last year
69 posts
I guess since empaths have a wider view and care for the whole instead of parts this doesn't truly apply to us. I was more so indicating that empathy is a necessity in the otherwise unpredictable human mindset. As we most probably all know, humans are creatures of building but they are creatures of destruction just as much. Many people search for wealth and power. Empathy I believe is in large an important part in morals. If humans lacked empathy (which is laced almost directly with compassion). That's one less thing stopping them from reeking chaos to achieve their goals. With no doubt about their actions, they could do as they please. If humans were apathetic, that would go against the way nature wanted things to be. Apathetic + basic human traits of anger, apprehension, hunger for power, call for wealth, ect. would be destructive. Empathy is used to balance destructive tendencies, such as ego, self-obseession, self-care. Apathy is what would result as apathy is lack of empathy. Apathy is not tied with the balanced malevolence and benevolence. It's unpredictable.
Lavender&rose
@lavenderrose
last year
82 posts

Empathy is a big thing in academic circles currently - but mostly they are not discussing being an empath or anything much regarding what an empath experiences, just normal human empathy or the lack of it, where it is located, as such, in the brain, why some people seem to have none, the role in the rise in clinical narcissism and sociopathy, in psychopathy, in mass murderous movements, genocide, etc etc.

A lot of empaths are quite low in empathy. You do get burnt out. :)

I shouldn't worry about what he is saying, it's just a point of view and part of the general global interest in empathy as a trait.

seanw4202
@seanw4202
last year
54 posts

There will always be opposition, respect that you would have no understanding if they weren't so misguided, yin and yang, i have noticed several posts from you, these things seem to bother you at a very intense level, please calm your mind and think what can you do that will ACTUALLY help, for example, his misguided ways may open a doorway of thinking for someone else, helping them understand why people like him are needed, we wouldn't have a purpose otherwise... there is ALWAYS good in any situation you need to remove yourself from the thought process.... It makes me happy to know you feel so passionately yet upsets me you have no peace with it, please try it will improve your quality of life tenfold

DemiPanda
@demipanda
last year
69 posts
Wait. I am not angered at all. Especially not because of his opinion! Everyone's entitled to their own opinion it was a gift given to each individual. The gift of individuality between all creatures! I'm sorry if it seems that I was. I am aware that opposition is needed. It's a part of life and death's balance. I do not know why everyone keeps reading negative vibes from me. I mean, no, I do know but there's no way I can stop it until he gets back. I sort of have a hard time keeping control of my flow when I think of him. My mate. He's been on my mind alot of late because I do not have good distractions and we're quite tightly tied. It seems to be pooring from me. I am so sorry if my energy is affecting people. I will try to get it under control before coming back. Forgive me, I'm a mess. Everyone emotion of mine seems to be increased ten-fold. It's a problem I must really deal with. Maybe I should meditate more when I'm bundled like this. In fact, I'll take all of Friday to make peace with myself. Hopefully I can regain balance. Again forgive me. I didn't notice the level my energies were at. I really wasn't all that upset I was merely questioning it.
Rene''
@rene
last year
1,194 posts
Demipanda, you are fine. You are a deep thinker wanting answers and understanding. That's why we all are here.
DemiPanda
@demipanda
last year
69 posts
Thank you Rene' :D
last year
159 posts

I watched then had to express myself there and here lol

Truly an awful promotion video so I am guessing the book will be worse

He has mistaken the Empath for the sympath (considering him a `Yale Professor and Psychologist` it beggars belief truly)

He is a psychologist from the science era and obtains info from behaviourism there is no indication of having studied empathy just an opinionated belief of `being nice` and `caring/giving` too much lol - It is yet another load of nonsense to come from the `expert` who knows absolutely nothing :)

LoconnorO
@loconnoro
last year
151 posts

I agree too, he is looking at Empathy through a very fixed and pessimistic angle and it kind of makes me cringe lol. I think that Empathy is what makes the world better, he's looking at it from the big corporation and Government side of things, but where it matters most is on the personal side of things. Empathy is what helps feed the homeless. Empathy is what helps people care about others and treat others with the respect they deserve as another human. Emapthy is what makes some people care about Global Warming and destruction of environments on earth. Empathy is what makes the world a better and less hostile place and we need more of it. I feel like he really didn't have an understanding of what he was saying and personally I think he thinks his education makes his opinion more valuable and more worth while to listen to which, again, really upsets me.

tnorm
@tnorm
last year
10 posts
I didn't read this post as negative or angry at all, but more incredulous, like unable to fathom others' insensitivities, if that makes sense. Could just be that's how I feel, though... I can share someone's feelings, but I can't understand why they have them. Lol :)
DemiPanda
@demipanda
last year
69 posts
That's exactly how I felt XD
DemiPanda
@demipanda
last year
69 posts
indeed

Share This

From Our Sponsors