Trevor Lewis
Trevor Lewis
@trevor-lewis
2 years ago
274 posts

Hi Tony,

Not unusual! Our abilities come from our bloodline more often than not. The only question becomes one of whether we can recognize that in our family. When we and our relatives are well-balanced it is easier to see. Sometimes, the empath trait shows up as emotional imbalance, aka mental health problems.

Secondly, as empaths we attract (and are attracted to) people who are in energetic need of our abilities. There are articles on the Web about empaths and narcissists (although that is a clinical term that I prefer to avoid - let's just say "toxic people"). Given that we attract "fixer-uppers", it's easy to see that our parents often reflect the same patter - one a strong empath, one tending towards toxic.

And, yes, true for my own parents!

Blessings,

Trevor

Goodenergyhealing
Goodenergyhealing
@goodenergyhealing
2 years ago
392 posts

it will be hard to come up with a more conclusive answer to your question with a post like this. You'd have to question hundreds of us :)

My mom is more emotional than my dad, and my dad can be more selfish, but then my mum can be emotionally manipulative (she just hides her selfish side more with a victim play...)

What I definitely would add to the equation though - I have always been quite sensible and sensitive (and a bit of a wise ass in my youth), but I only really became empathic through loads of spiritual work - meditation etc. So I mostly blame my abilities on that. I.e. likely we all have them, just with some people they are more blocked.... My father never was a great A-hole, just perhaps a bit cold and rational, but he has softened up with age. He is much kinder now, almost more than my mum. If that is me sending distant healing for the last 20 years, or a man's testosterone levels reducing as they age - who knows? Maybe both? He's been quite a strong atheist too, we had some big arguments about that in the past (him calling me crazy for believing that there is anything beyond matter and death, and the like),but last month, when I visited, he actually took up an offer of receiving some Reiki there and then....(miracles do happen?)

My sisters are both quite sensitive, but only the younger one perhaps more of an empath. Here too though, both seem to have developed their sensitivities somewhat over the years. Again, if that is natural, or due to a spiritual healer in the family - who knows?

Love and Light!

Rene''
Rene''
@rene
2 years ago
1,195 posts
Neither of my parents were empaths. Well, I never seen that part of them. They leaned toward narcissist side Very controlling without a loving touch or words. I was raised on direct and indirect innuendos of intimidation and manipulation. I know that sounds harsh but it is the truth. I still havent been able to completely shake that feeling.
Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
2 years ago
1,330 posts

My mother was an empath but never knew that she was, and was thought of as a "saint" and "hypersensitive". My father was not a full blown narcissist, but had narcissistic tendencies like being selfish, spoiled and loud, and basically a lazy A-hole who thought he was smarter than he was. Both were alcoholics, and I was an unwanted only child so I was pretty much left to raise myself. The poverty was great with a lot of insecurity and crying over how to pay rent, no food in the cupboard, etc. so.....

I'm not sure if I got my abilities totally from my mom, or partly from feeling unsafe and insecure as a child, so I became hyper vigilant all the time. My mom and I were/are both physical empaths, becoming physically ill from what we absorb from others, and like me, she became a hermit as she aged and got sicker and sicker.

My husband's family is a lot like heartbroken's above. His dad was a full blown Narc and showered attention on his total loser of a Narc brother, while giving my husband nothing but endless self esteem destroying criticism. This often happens with Narcs, as they can't tolerate those they think rank higher than them in any way, so they try to destroy them. Their favorite is often the loser or the screw up, etc. since that child can be made permanently dependent on the Narc, which is what they want. My husband is not an empath but definitely an HSP. Nobody else in his family has a clue how to read even obvious cues about people that the average person could pick up, so I don't think he inherited it.

Family gatherings! I got to where I could not sell my soul anymore and I finally refused to go at all. I "divorced" them.

Cheshire Cat

Cat Whisperer
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
2 years ago
767 posts
Sounds like my ex...he was not a mirror looker either
Cat Whisperer
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
2 years ago
767 posts
Mom was the empath in my family. My older brother shows signs too, however, we have never talked about it. I would like to but not sure how to bring it up. My uncle probably had the gift as well but when he came back from the war he was messed up mentally. (Paranoid schizophrenia). Perhaps due to being sensitive and witnessing such atrocities.
Ruby Fox
Ruby Fox
@ruby-stone
2 years ago
70 posts

I just like to bitch about my extended family members. Particularly the Taurus $hit-talkers who apparently have gold nuggets come out during rest room time. My cousin Laura, for example: I know she hacks my laptop, and private emails (she works for the gov. and makes $$$ Much much $hit monies.) Hides behind her money with her family even though they stink the most, point the finger at everyone else, and need the longest shower in history-because there is a hideous stench coming from behind the money they hide behind. My other Taurus relative, I'll leave her name hidden for now) stole pictures off my sisters phone of both of us b/c the jealous bitch saw dollar signs-and sent them to someone. I don't have total proof(but when you feel something strange going on, it is usually true) at least with me it is. My 6th sense was always strong. Be careful, with all the stinky gold nuggets, lets hope the golden throne of your home doesn't explode from the backup

Ruby Fox
Ruby Fox
@ruby-stone
2 years ago
70 posts

Most of the Rich: They see their own worth -Me: Where? where is their worth? Let me whip out my magnifying glass

TigerLily
TigerLily
@tigerlily
2 years ago
428 posts
My father totallt is. He doesn't talk about it, until I asked him one day lol. He is really gifted when it comes to people, and not falling for people who need help. It's like he knows to only help when that person genuinely needs it. He's even pushed away family, and then bent over backwards for others. I know those family members and see why he did that.He has always said things here and there "I just don't like them" "they feel abnormal" "he is going through alot of pain" "I like this one as he is happy" And he never even said one word to them lol.He told me if I didn't want to be taken advantage of by people, to be mentally strong. From as a kid, and his book collection now, it's all about self help and strengthening yourself.
Ruby Fox
Ruby Fox
@ruby-stone
2 years ago
70 posts

Anyone ever talk about their nosy extended family members? Like when they come to visit after not visiting or talking much for almost ten years? Both of my uncles are full of $hit. Dollar sign b/c that is the only language they understand. I am glad his daughter is a stuffed up plain introvert (meant for public school) not very interesting, not that smart-just worked hard for her stuck up status. I admire status and all, but they are in a category entirely by themselves. So uncle dickie, kiss my A$$$$ and enjoy watching my success while you share in nothing that involves me

Aiden
Aiden
@aiden
2 years ago
34 posts

Hey all. Just joined EC and am super excited to be able to communicate with other like minded individuals. My mother has always been an empath like myself and I am very close to her. Growing up, she would tell me about strangers who would approach her daily to vent and how she would feel drained or even ill after certain encounters. She is an amazing mother and I wasn't super aware of how connected I am towards her until i moved out when i was 24 (I'm 28 now). She is very emotional and moody at times but so loving and generous as well. My dad is the opposite. He rarely emotes and was always very secretive. Not much of a deep thinker or conversationalist. He's not a bad a guy but he can seem cold like most of his siblings as well. We were never super close but as I got older, I always felt like there is a lot about my dad that I still don't know till this day. I also have an older sister but she doesn't seem to be an empath. We are complete opposites. She is more argumentative and harsh when it comes to certain things.

Tundra2
Tundra2
@tundra2
2 years ago
63 posts

Hi Tony, Very interesting questions and a lot of very interesting replies. I have a narcissist mother and just an A-Hole father. I found out only a few years ago my father had an uncle that no one spoke about. The only answer I got was that "he did not fit in with them". I wonder if he was an empath? No one in my family that I can think of that I would call an empath.

Live & Appreciate

Want to reply? Login here

From Our Sponsors

• empath book