can you relate to this?....

To post a reply, login or signup

Tonyvancity
@tonyvancity
last year
29 posts

Hello again! I was over at my neighbor's house and the 4 of us were just chatting and discussing various topics. I mentioned i have this book that if anybody interested to read i could loan it out. The book is about a North Korean torture-prison camp escapee and his life before escaping. We then on to discuss the atrocities the nazis committed during WW2 , specifically to all the Jews and more. That made me recall as a young boy something that used to greatly upset me. My second eldest brother would watch late night repeats of The World at War (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_at_War) which was a British tv documentary series that showed old black and white footage of ww2 including the death camps , the prisoners, nazi soldiers , etc. Now i was only age 8 and not into war movies or war tv shows, but each night my 18 year old brother would tune into this documentary tv show and i would pass by the tv on my way to bed and practically freeze in my tracks as i caught a glimpse of Jewish prisoner of war corpses being bulldozed into large open pits in the earth, of nazi soldiers shooting them in the head point blank and every horror they had on film from that time. I was 8 but not a scared little boy....i was disgusted and full of rage and revenge at what i was watching. I dIdnt understand How people could do such things to each other. I wanted to Avenge ALL their deaths....i wanted to wipe germany off the map. Keep in mind i am not Jewish or lived thru any war personally..i am italian/canadian born in 1968.....far far removed from anything to do with what i was witnessing on my tv in 1976. Even now typing this out i can feel myself getting upset at what happened during ww2. I get upset and disgusted (greatly) when i read or watch the news and they show footage of syrian refugees fleeing, of north koreans suffering , of earthquake victims , when hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans....anything to do with mass atrocities and suffering, of dictators and tyrants and so on. I dont know how to explain this....my heart feels wounded, deeply saddened, deeply disgusted and offended that The World, it's people are fighting and killing each other and i cannot intervene and fix it all. Do all Empaths react like this?? Do you often watch a news cast and when you see others suffering from famine-poverty-war get so very offended and take it personally that you feel that you need to avenge or intervene on their behalf ? That as your watching the news or documentary, you can envision and feel the pain suffering, the misery , that you feel like you must apologize for not being there to save them, to help them, to protect them? For me, 40 years later and i am still that same boy who wants to save and protect the peoples of this world from themselves.

updated by @tonyvancity: 11/11/17 12:00:53AM
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
last year
728 posts
Yes, I feel the same way. I am to the point that I cannot stand to watch the news in all of it's negativity. And all of the (excuse the graphic) blood and guts movies that are out there....it is really disgusting to think that people actually go and pay to see this stuff. Also, the video games that kids play now is disturbing as well. It seems that the human ego feeds on this....and the media is all too eager to oblige, which I believe leads to all of the atrocities in this world today. It is definitely a sad state of affairs. You struck a chord there...sorry for the venting.Shine on....
Tundra2
@tundra2
last year
57 posts

Yes, I have stopped watching the news and a few shows that have a lot of violence and negativity. I feel much better. I noticed that when I did I would have negative dreams related to them.

Tonyvancity
@tonyvancity
last year
29 posts

i too stopped watching the news on a regular basis. Also many violent tv shows/movies...was never a big fan of horror movies. I was a big fan of The Walking Dead, but only because of the way it shows the survivors bonding together to survive, the triumph of the human spirit. Never cared for the zombie violence and i am glad they only show 30-60 seconds of that per show. I love comedies, tv documentaries , shows that teach how to cook or renovate/fix something...to learn a useful skill or shows on psychology .The way i see it...already way too much real life ugliness and tragedies in everyday life....i do not want to see it 24 hours a day on my tv.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book