Have you told anyone about your ability?

To post a reply, login or signup

hana
@hana
last year
46 posts

If so, how did they react?

Should this be something you share with your loved ones? How do you gauge the right time?

Luckily my mom is an empath as well as a clairvoyant so I can talk to her about this stuff, but what about people who aren't so sure?

updated by @hana: 05/06/17 11:51:53AM
Layla223
@layla223
last year
5 posts
Nope! In all fairness I'm still discovering my ability and how to utilise it positively. I feel as though a lot of people wouldn't be interested to understand it though, since everyone is so preoccupied with many other things, more 'in the norm' things. If I'm making sense lol.
hana
@hana
last year
46 posts

Yeah that makes sense! Better to fully understand it yourself so you are able to explain it better to others

Or you can just keep it to yourself

Ive personally found being in a relationship, if you have limitations with social situations, it helps to let them know you're not just antisocial lol

Rene''
@rene
last year
1,194 posts
My husband, at first said "your crazy". That hurt my feelings. And now when I try to explain the unexplainable he Saids "your crazy" and and now I just roll my eyes. Lol. Both of my sons are Empaths both have my abalities to sence the departed but refuses to embrace it. I have a couple of friends that know and believes but since my family does not accept my abalities I fell that the my world is not ready for it either. Sad though. It would be nice if I had people that's not ashamed to admit there is more , much, much more than that meets the eye.
Layla223
@layla223
last year
5 posts
Yeah, it's very strange. I've struggled with social anxiety for so many years so I have a lot of social limitations. But, it's so common within empaths to have anxiety! It's like I'm slowly finding myself through Empath/HSP research. It's such a liberating feeling!
Trevor Lewis
@trevor-lewis
last year
273 posts

Hi:

My family understands! I wrote something up last year to explain to the mainstream world a little of my experiences as an empath. See

http://empathcommunity.eliselebeau.com/profiles/blogs/we-are-all-connected-how-i-came-to-recognize-myself-as-an-empath

Blessings, Trevor

hana
@hana
last year
46 posts

It really is.. :)

hana
@hana
last year
46 posts

Thanks Trevor!!

hana
@hana
last year
46 posts

Oh m

LoconnorO
@loconnoro
last year
151 posts

I told a friend about what I was experiencing as an empath, like being able to feel other people's energy (at the time I just called it "feeling" them because I didn't know what to call it) and I would explain to them times when I would be around someone feeling a strong emotion and it affecting me just sitting next to them. She thought I was crazy lol and that's when I found out it's not "normal" to "feel" other people by just standing/sitting/being next to someone. But yeah I really don't talk to people about this. I really wish there was someone in my life who I could just talk to about how I see the world and everyone in it sometimes. Or at least someone who I can tell who won't want to test me on emotions...

LoconnorO
@loconnoro
last year
151 posts

I completely agree. I think it's such a blessing to be able to feel the world differently though, I wouldn't want to give it up for anything to be honest.

TigerLily
@tigerlily
last year
309 posts
I've told my friends and they think I'm crazy. My father is the same way, but he knows good boundaries. I used to never understand how he knew how I felt even when I lied about it lol. But now I understand. I'm still no expert at this, but everyday is a learning experience. Sometimes I can tell through text messages or their pics how they are feeling, and when I comment on it they lie amd say they don't feel that way. But truth comes out later, and in the end I was right about their feelings. My one friend now believes she's an empath and to me it was "I told you so"
Denise Manning
@denise-manning
last year
4 posts
I have found out more people in my family have the " gift." My mom is psychic, but not an Emapth. She saw the connection between me and my brother who is 8 years younger than I. He is also an Empath. On my dads side, my grandma was psychic as well as my aunt. My aunt and I have a deepUnderstanding of each other. I was luck enough growing up to not be shunned. All the family let me express myself.I learned I was an Empath last year and told my close friends. Many of whom I discovered are Empaths too. I am very fortunate to have these people in my life. Especially when I am down and depressed. My brother healed me last August from my depression.Be cautious about others and what you share. If you get any uneasy or anxious feelings, don't go there. I've shared some of my experiences with coworkers, they're teachers, but backed off sharing much later. I feel I was judged too much.
RyuukoGo
@ryuukogo
last year
110 posts

My friends know and they think it is a gift but then I tell some of the the drawbacks.

My parents knew I was one and what I did was "normal"

I have in my dating profile that I am an Empath,HSP and INFJ personality...I may add more....so that the women I date sort of knows what they are getting into....with that in mind I have met several and still keep in contact with other Empaths.

Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
last year
726 posts
The only one I have told is my husband, but no one else. I feel that if I did I would be judged or it would be used against me somehow. To me, Some things are better left unsaid.
LoconnorO
@loconnoro
last year
151 posts

Geez no one in my family is an Empath too.. I really have no one who I can really talk to about this to be honest :/.. I guess that's why I love this website so much hahaha I'm on it more than other social media websites xD...

Myyonna
@myyonna
last year
1 posts

I have somewhat explained this to my husband. He has always told me strangers talk to me and dump their problems on me is because I am so approachable. Many of my Friends have always asked me how did you know? And I just said I could feel it.

I am so glad I found this group. It explains why I have some social anxiety. And yet love to be at some parties. I really need to learn how to shield myself from the negative. It seems to pull me down with them. Any suggestions?

hana
@hana
last year
46 posts

Hello Myyonna
I personally just remember that the only negative energy that affects you is the energy you create to match theirs, and by not matching that energy and keeping yourself in a genuinely happy state and a level of higher vibration in which you do not believe it affects you, it really doesn't affect you. :)

Easier said than done but it is the only thing that has helped me in my experience. Other methods don't seem to last as long.

Message me if you want me to elaborate haha

Blessings

hana
@hana
last year
46 posts

This is true indeed

hana
@hana
last year
46 posts

That's pretty nice to stay in contact!
I don't say anything to most people because they're so convinced any kind of a psychic is a fake.

It's just not worth it to tell anyone that isn't already important to me lol

hana
@hana
last year
46 posts

Yeah I have similar experiences haha

Ragnar
@ragnar
last year
16 posts
For most of my life I thought I was just weird. I'd realized most people weren't like me, and the people I'd tried to tell about my abilities, when I was young, didn't understand. Then, this woman I'd met, who was a nurse. Mentioned that maybe I was an Empath. So I looked the term up, and found that I wasn't alone in what I felt and saw in others. This woman isn' an Empath and isn't really into spiritual or paranormal topics. It rely surprised me that she knew about empaths and couldn't say where she'd heard about them when I asked. But she's easy to talk to and is open to talking about the abilities and experiences. Lots of people are so skeptical, so turned off to anything that isn't what they see as normal. So people open to it, and sites like this are good.
hana
@hana
last year
46 posts

Wow that's a different experience entirely..

It's funny to think that there are non-empaths out there that know about us that apear to be tolerant. Kind of makes me wonder why haha

Also makes me uneasy a bit

hana
@hana
last year
46 posts

Yeah me too actually Haha

Josh3
@josh3
last year
2 posts
Yes.....my fiance, best friend, and family are aware. Through discussions, I found out that my mom is an empath and medium too. You can't change who you are.Continue to research and discover who you are. The people in this community helped me when I first discovered that I was an empath.
water_lily
@water-lily
last year
90 posts

For the most part, I don't tell people about it unless they need to know. The first time that someone different was going on, I was really young. My mother noticed that I tended to get sick every time anyone in my family got sick even if it wasn't contagious (knots my back when she had them, a tendency to get a fever only when someone in my family had one that ended almost immediately after theirs ended, etc). She worked in a hospital and, although she didn't quite believe in this stuff, she acknowledge that some people may be more sensitive to that sort of thing than others since she had seen it in the loved ones of some of her patients as well (e.g. sympathy pains husbands get while their wife is giving birth). For the most part, this was acknowledged in a way that made it clear to me that this was not something I should talk about and was only mentioned in terms of possibility of careers choices ("You should be a doctor since you seem to be good at healing," with that last part said in an embarrassed whisper). As for the emotional aspect, I do not think she wants to know; I do not think anyone really wants to know that anyone wants to know that their child remember being a toddler and remembers feeling the pain and heartbreak that comes from one parent cheating on the other and violence in the house and all of that but in the nuanced way adults involved feel it, not in the more simple emotions of a small child or remembers the feeling of completely loosing control due to rage even when never having lost that kind of control herself. The rest of my family would just think I was crazy and probably recommend I go on anti-psychotics.

To get back to your original question, if I am around people often enough to start having physical symptoms when they are sick, I eventually have to talk to them about that particular thing (but not about the rest of it) because I have it enough under control that I can generally avoid the symptoms if they avoid certain things. For the most part, if they are good friends, they eventually think I am eccentric but they love me anyway, and, if not, they think I am insane and distance themselves. I haven't had any problems with someone threatening to tell others, which would actually be a problem in my career field, but I am careful of who I tell.

There hasn't been as big of a problem with claircognizance because a lot of people who believe in a higher power can accept wording like, "It just really feels like I need to do this thing" as the voice of God leading you in the direction He wants you to go in (I grew up around Christianity so I am most familiar with the protestant Christian wording of this phenomenon).

There are some people that I have told, but I usually only tell people from cultures who are more accepting of this sort of thing. They generally think I am lucky and are happy to learn about it.

However, I find that not telling people leaves a huge gulf and if the person becomes important enough that it is better to risk a bad reaction than to continue to have that gulf between you, then it is probably time to risk it :)

Sammie
@sammie
last year
106 posts

It depends, sometimes if i meet someone I feel like I have to explain how I just know things. My husband knows. A few friends. Other's just gather that I have some sort of intuition over time. The only time I really feel pressed to tell someone right out is if spirit comes forward from a loved one -which has only happened a few times, or if I have a certain type of dream about them.

Susanna
@susanna
last year
1 posts
I don't have anyone to tell. My sister accepts it, but my mother changes the subject. And my husband said "you're fucking crazy".

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book