Any empaths have digestive problems?

To post a reply, login or signup

indigovirgo
@indigovirgo
last year
23 posts

I am experiencing quite a good bit of anxiety lately and it is manifesting in my "gut" or digestive system distress. So much so that it actually is quite distracting/painful and even loud at times.

I have thought that this may be an actual intuitive "gut" intuition working overtime. But it could just be physiological and a result as extreme anxiety. Was just curious if any other empaths experienced these type of physical symptoms when overwhelmed and not centered.

updated by @indigovirgo: 01/12/17 12:26:40PM
TigerLily
@tigerlily
last year
309 posts
Yes, I do. Been to a GI doctor and nothing is wrong with me. Told me it was anxiety. When I went to visit my friend for a week, who was going through an awful divorce. I was in so much pain from bloat, gas, and acid reflux. When I got home it was gone the next day. Yesterday at work I was training a new guy and he just started dumping out all his marital problems, I didn't ask about it btw, and I got so bloated I had to loosen my belt. I think it's just bad energy.
last year
159 posts

Check out info on balancing your Solar Plexus Chakra - This goes hand in had with digestive issues and anxiety

https://www.anxiety.org/balance-your-chakras-let-your-anxiety-melt-away

I tend to look at emotional issues these days and focus on the charkra associated :)

indigovirgo
@indigovirgo
last year
23 posts

Thanks TigerLily and Karma. I will definitely look into balancing the Solar Plexus chakra.

Sarah
@sarah
last year
386 posts

Weird, I went home early from work today with a funny tummy. I know I'm not ill and I know it wasn't food poisoning, but something was definitely not feeling good.

My solar Plexus chakra has been opening lately. Maybe I am releasing some toxins or feeling some growing pains. I've also heard some people on a light workers Facebook post talk about an energetic shift that is happening and is making their bodies feel off. I don't know about that shift thing, though. If anyone else knows, I'd like to hear more.

Lavender&rose
@lavenderrose
last year
82 posts

Any Virgos who don't have digestive problems?!

When I was younger, from childhood strongly and into my thirties, my empath expressed itself through my digestive system, very painful. The more I've got to understand it and listen to it and learn to look after myself, the less problems I have in this area, thank god.

I have noticed if I sit next to someone with say wind problems, I will instantly pick up wild wind! People with eating disorders really set my gut off, also. But it's clearly not mine and leaves with a bit of awareness and healing attention from me before I get home, usually. Learning to recognize this stuff - not mine - and clear it, is a wonderful thing.

If I'm distressed or anxious, I experience my own set of symptoms in this area - but it has all got a lot better with age, and learning self-care, I guess.

In answer to your questions - I think it can be a combo of all three, and it all works in an interactive way - the gut brain, the empath antennae (largely centred in the gut areas, in my view), the nervous system - all interplaying and relating messages to one another. The sooner you can get your physical gut soothed, and this needs emotional and psychological soothing to occur, the sooner you'll feel better on all levels, and also start making room in your gut over time for greater clarity.

For me it took many years to get any clarity, so I worked on the physical and emotional aspects of my painful digestive tract issues(a lot of anxiety)- but really it was a godsend for me as it all got so bad and sent me such strong messages about who was okay for me to be around and who wasn't in my personal and social life, I made some good life changes as a result of it.

Good luck with your situation.

indigovirgo
@indigovirgo
last year
23 posts

Yes. Lavender and Rose- we virgos do love to chew up our guts when we are stressed.

Its gotten much worse for me as I have gotten older- but from what I am learning both my sacral and solar plexus chakras are well out of balance. In addition, there is a inherited tendency toward anxiety.

Thanks for your insightful response.

Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
last year
728 posts
Ah yes, gut problems all of my life. Even as a small child I had trouble, funny, the doctors couldn't find a cause. One came to the conclusion that I must have had worms, so the doc had my mom give me worm medicine! Didn't help! I had a counselor tell me that I eat my problems. Took me 50 years to realize that it was the constant influx of outside "garbage". Since becoming aware of my empathness it has gotten better. I take better care of my spiritual self...that has helped a lot. I still have anxiety that settles in my gut, but I am realizing that it is not my stuff coming in. That realization helps calm the anxiety. Now I just accept the feeling, that acceptance, without resistance helps. I found that meditation was the best treatment for such. Also eating yogurt helps get all the good bacteria in check as well. Good luck!
Rene''
@rene
last year
1,194 posts
I also started out at a young age with stomach problems. At age 5 or 6 everytime I was placed in a stressful situation, which was regularly , I would throw up and terrible stomach pain. I stayed so nervous. I was very shy and didn't won't to attend scho fear of people looking at me. The doctors called it a nervous stomach. By age 10 the were calling it stomach spasms still hated socializing with people I clung to my animals. I kept my hair long and in my face so I could hide. My teenage years I came out of some of it but was hospitalized several time for dehydration due to uncontrollable throwing up. Then...in my early 20's , while listening to my controlling parents telling me what I needed to be doing with my life "I talked back to them" and the world did not stop turning and lighting did not strike me down. Yes, I was raised by narcissist parents and that kept me in a black hole my entire childhood and was the cause for my inferiority complex and most of my stomach problems. I choose a career that included speaking in front of groups of people and decision making and I did very well. But I still occasionally have spells with my stomach when circumstances are out of my control. But it's hard to forget being a small child, throwing up uncontrollably and no adult would come to help me because "I was just wanting attention", so they would say. Narcissism is pure evil.
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
last year
728 posts
Oh Rene'...that's terrible! I feel for you. It sounds like you have grown in spite of your narciss upbringing. Bless your heart :)
Sarah
@sarah
last year
386 posts

I was raised by narcissist parents, too, and had to be on prescription stomach meds for years because of it. Stomach stuff is still how my anxiety and panic attacks manifest, too. I think Narcissism is the darkest of the dark. I'm very sorry you had to go through that. :( No child deserves that ever.

indigovirgo
@indigovirgo
last year
23 posts

Im not even sure if I had narcissistic parents or not. What would be some tell tale signs? I know what narcissists are like as friends or lovers- but not sure how that looks in parenting.

Sarah
@sarah
last year
386 posts

Here is a page I found helpful when I was starting to learn about that dynamic. I very much hope it is not relevant to your childhood.

http://www.bandbacktogether.com/adult-children-of-Narcissistic-parents-resources/

Sev91
@sev91
last year
8 posts

YES yes and YES.

I have ulcerative colitis, and severe acid reflux. Messy, right?

I am struggling with my abilities, so it could be a result of not being centered.

Hope you feel better soon :]

indigovirgo
@indigovirgo
last year
23 posts

I relate to much of this. Thanks for sharing.

Sarah
@sarah
last year
386 posts

You're welcome and I'm sorry you can relate. :(

Lavender&rose
@lavenderrose
last year
82 posts

There was a woman who used to post on the old Empath Tribes site who I found helpful in a lot of ways - and she used to say that we needed to resize our Solar Plexus chakras, that they should be no more than five inches across,I think it was.

Mine was blasted wide open until recently which was nice for everyone else, but no so nice for me. I have made some effort since then to resize mine by gently drawing a small clockwise (digestive system direction) on my solar plexus and encouraging it to close down a bit, just gently tracing the circle when I am out in an emotionally charged situation, etc etc, or when I feel alarm, if I think of it, and telling it to be smaller now.

I think mine got that way through trauma. Good for survival - but no way to live a life.

I also rub my abdomen in that clockwise (if I was wearing a clockface, clockwise facing out ie) direction and use heat packs to soothe it if need be. Hands on stuff for an empath can be very healing as we (or I do!) tend to have healing hands.

Rene''
@rene
last year
1,194 posts
Yes and I'm sorry for your experiences also Sarah but know we are here for a reason and it is to reflect the love within us , not for the pain that we was subjected to. I'm not a perfect person but I'm know I'm not like them. We are light the way for others to follow and to show them their is life after being raised by narcissist.
Rene''
@rene
last year
1,194 posts
Me tooo.
Sarah
@sarah
last year
386 posts

That's a good way to look at it.

Rainbowgirl777
@rainbowgirl777
last year
1 posts

I FEEL your pain;/ I deal with tummy issues on a daily basis...it can be overwhelming! coping, dealing and minimizing stress makes a world of difference for me!:):)

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
last year
1,185 posts

I agree with all that's been said. I just want to add that this can lead to serious, even life threatening physical problems, so I urge those of you with this to be checked out.

I also threw up a lot as a child and was constantly told I was high strung. I was about 7 when I realized I was fundamentally different from others in some way, but over age 50 before I ever heard the word empath.

I now have these annoying physical conditions: Irritable bowel syndrome, dumping syndrome alternating with gastroparesis, repeating bouts of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.

I also have these dangerous illnesses from this: bile reflux, Barrett's esophagus, chronic gastritis, intestinal metaplasia, malabsorption syndrome. Three of those can take your life and one will shorten it by an average of 20% if not treated, and the med for it is super expensive.

Recently, I let someone who initially seemed like the perfect friend draw me down to where I was a puddle on the floor and I had a relapse of gastritis that included stomach bleeding, resulting in expensive, uncomfortable tests and a permanent liquid and baby foods only diet. I am really getting sick of smoothies!

I keep the phone ringers turned off in our house now and never answer the phone. If it is one of my old pals whom I trust, I call them back. Even our business clients just have to leave a message on the machine. I can't watch most TV now as it is too noisy and violent. My nerves are so raw now, I wear headphones to block out traffic and other noise during the day and use a white noise machine at night to sleep.

It took repeated lessons, often with narcissists, to make me finally get the lesson from this last situation that I MUST put myself first, hold everyone at arm's length until I am sure they are not using me or mentally unstable, and not be so open or invest myself emotionally until then. I thank this person for finally providing me with this much needed truth that I was too much of a martyr to learn until now.

I used to think first and always of how bad I might make the other person feel by insisting on boundaries or ending a relationship I'd started once I realized it was not right for me, but now I see two things: 1) not defending my needs is enabling the user, and 2) what about how bad the other person is already making ME feel by treating me with such disrespect??? I know some of you can relate to me when I say that I never even thought of that!

I have been a daily meditator for decades, but until we put ourselves first in our own lives without guilt, I do not believe that is enough. I hope my post will keep just one person from ending up as sick as I am.

Namaste to all,

Cheshire Cat

Bigg Hoss
@bigg-hoss
last year
36 posts

I can say that for myself and my mother who is very sensitive as well that anxiety can eat your digestive system alive so to speak. For us it is almost constant sometimes if tensions or sadness or anxiety or emotional turmoil is in the house hold or very near by. For example if say my father has an issue or freak out session like he does from time to time it will light me up head to toe with anxiety. I get almost instantly sick at my stomach with a very unique kind of feeling and it can become painful even. It can sometimes affect me all day or even "days" if someone close to me is in a crisis of any kind. It can do alot of damage and lead to serious conditions if left unchecked. My poor mother didnt realize she was an empath for years and has become a digestive wreck so to speak and it has made her life very miserable. I am just now learning myself about chakras and how this gift works. I just always thought for years this is just how it is and nothing can be done :(

Kit Kat
@kit-kat
last year
230 posts

I recently found out I had SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth) For anyone suffering from IBS - this may very well be the answer for you :) It is one of the leading causes of IBS. I would love to help anyone I can by sharing this info. - especially since I suffered for about two years with terrible symptoms before I found out what was really wrong. Also, this condition can be treated homeopathically, which is amazing :) I still have a finicky digestive system, but at least the pain is going away...

Homeopathic remedies:

-Organic cranberry Juice

-Turmeric (the more Curcuminoids the better)

-Peppermint

-Lemon

-Garlic

Kit Kat
@kit-kat
last year
230 posts

Have you heard of S.I.B.O.? The symptoms you mentioned are similar to what I had/have... I had multiple G.I. doctors write my symptoms off as IBS and "psychological issues" like anxiety, so I did my own research for cures, and now things are better (not perfect, but 1000X more manageable). :)

Lynda Jo Thornbrugh
@lynda-jo-thornbrugh
last year
2 posts
Yes, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which I suffer from during acute stress in my life. I get sick just as soon as I'm done eating and it cramps my stomach and gives me diarreah. I don't take anything, I try to re evaluate my triggers
TigerLily
@tigerlily
last year
309 posts
I also suffer from non diabetic hypoglycemia, made a dramatic change to my diet and it has helped my digestive issues tremendously. I also live in a big city, and retreat out from time to time and notice a big difference in how I feel. I plan out moving for good next year as I couldn't believe all my nature escapades and love for the water has been so cleansing.
CrystalRose
@crystalrose
last year
48 posts

I have this problem too. Whenever something has really upset me and I get extreme anxiety.

Jonathan
@jonathan
last year
18 posts

A couple years ago I remember having upset stomach quite often, grumbling and growling, especially in public it felt rather awkward. Later though it disappeared after I lost my sensitivity to anxiety.

I don't know about others but thinking back, ever since I remember the time when I most likely awakened as an empath, I've always eaten a lot. Big meals, the kind that people always tend to look at. It was around the same time I became a vegetarian (I only became a vegan a couple years later), I've never put on any weight and I just love eating good (and healthy) food.

PeaceOnEarth
@peaceonearth
last year
32 posts
I definitely relate to this- when my parents got divorced when I was 5 I remember always having an upset stomach. Last week, it actually resurfaced after I had a big argument with one of my teachers about grades (I'm in high school). This being related to the Solar Plexus chakra is new to me but makes sense.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book