What do empaths do for a living?

To post a reply, login or signup

h1234
@h1234
last year
49 posts

Hi, I'm a newly discovered empath, I suspected for a long while but was too depressed to sort myself out. Ive been through every job imaginable, retail, teaching, care work, but I've found right now writing is my saviour, I am thinking to be totally unconventional, as its my life regardless of people's opinions, I need to focus on my strengths. I need to get my self confidence up too.

Is there anyone that lives near to me, South west england, uk . I would love you to write and share your empath tips, meet maybe sometime.

love and light x

updated by @h1234: 10/19/17 11:38:44AM
Gem
@gem
last year
220 posts
Hi, I'm im the North West but happy to inbox and chat if you'd like?I too have had varied careers ranging from retail to working with disabled children in mainstream education.I got career burnout really bad. I didn't know I was an Empath but did know I couldn't cope in toxic work environments.Through my process of awakening, healing and soul searching I've found my strengths and for me I need to work for myself. From home so I can cater my need for peace. I'm in the process of setting up an Etsy shop selling my organic skincare products etc, I'm qualified Reiki 1 and looking forward to Reiki 2 in a couple of months and also doing my online Soul Realignment (Akashic Records) course.I've taken a lot on but they are all in line with my soul..I have no doubts at all about that and am getting a lot of synchronicity in my life now I've made these changes in direction.What sort of writing do you enjoy? Never worry about what other people's opinions are..this is your life not theirs.L&LGem x
h1234
@h1234
last year
49 posts

hi Gem,

Great to hear back from you!

I mainly write journals for myself and sometimes on a forum, I also write on Trip Advisor, I am dabbling in Children book writing currently. I am the ultimate empath multipotentialite,(scanner) personality type, done most jobs on the planet and more qualifications than id like to count. I find working for others draining and especially female bosses who seem to be domineering like my mother, not a healthy happy place to be.

So my search goes on, I love ebay and selling childrens toys, I have a playworker qualification level 3 and two degrees english and media, english and education.

Who says its ''normal to have one career'' our society, culture, stuff that !!

hayley x

Nikki3
@nikler
last year
116 posts
I've had many jobs in every industry from accounting to dog food manufacturing. I never lasted more than 2 years anywhere, I worked as an administrative assistant. I hated it, mostly working with women in repetitive thankless jobs. Until I finally found a company that would let me switch, it's surprising how they don't want you to change what you do when you're good at it whether you are happy or not. I am now in the quality industry and I work on projects so it changes all the time and I work mostly with men and a few courageous women lol. I love it! Men don't tend to have the need for constant gossip, they don't hover and micromanage, they don't think and feel crap 24/7 like women do. It's working well for me. I can't run my own business I get carried away with the creative part and hate the business part, not my thing. Do what you love, love what you do, know yourself :)
Kit Kat
@kit-kat
last year
230 posts

That's a great word: multipotentialite :) Pretty much describes me as well! Maybe we're on the same wavelength. I'm interested in writing children's books too! But I also love reading, editing, drawing, painting, beadwork, playing instruments, singing, nutritional advising, traveling, photography...etc etc etc. lol

Gem
@gem
last year
220 posts
I relate so much, it was a female manager that led me to a nervous breakdown.. staff turnover in our department was high due to this woman. I can't put myself in that situation again. It taught me what I can and can't cope with. A shame though as I truly loved helping the kids I worked with.Writing children's books sounds wonderful, creative and happy :) have you tried to get any published yet?My brother is like us...he's currently trying a huge shift in career also due to burnout. He said he thinks he's got at least 5 more types of career in him yet lol! I don't think you have to conform to 'job for life' anymore... Its pretty impossible anyway in today's work climate.Do what makes you tick...that's what living is about follow the dreams that resonate most! Believe in yourself. I'd love the read one of your children's books..I bet they are amazing :)BlessingsGem x
Gem
@gem
last year
220 posts
Oops replied to KitKat instead of you Hayley lol...more coffee needed stat!! X
lilly
@lilly
last year
30 posts

i dont work due to illness but ive thought if i ever got better that i would set up an ebay shop too!! Id like to sell essential oils and natural skin care as well. And also decoritive items. I would really love to do it but just not well enough at the moment.

But the experiences i had of work i know i couldnt work in any normal job without having a breakdown. I had numerous breakdowns cos of work and that led me to get physicaly ill. Its working with toxic people and maybe just now working with people in general i cant do ever again.

I would also love to run a small plant nursery but not do the buisness side. Just spend time with plants i love their energy and have a big collection of houseplants.

I also like writting and mostly do journal work and dabble on forums. I love the process of expression. As well i have multiple interests that are mainly creative that i would like to earn money from instead of being on state benifits. But i do sell the odd little item on ebay but i have little energy to make things cos of my illness.

Rene''
@rene
last year
1,194 posts
I worked in Quality Assurance for 20 years which is a bittersweet occupation for an Empath. The working with all kind of people was a learning experience but the decision making against my better judgement was always a problem. Having to lay my emotions and common sense aside to make company ordinated decisions was a problem.I had always wanted a career that involved studying and working in nature. Being in wooded areas watching wildlife always brings peace into my heart. I feel like that's where I belong.
Nikki3
@nikler
last year
116 posts
I understand that, my company has a very high moral compass so it sits well with me for the most part. If I had to choose a career regardless of money I would wouldwork with children or animals, horses are my passion but because I am the sole butter earner and my son is still dependent on me I have come to terms with it. I work with great people too which makes all the difference. :)
water_lily
@water-lily
last year
90 posts

I don't live remotely near you, but I am a scientist, which, I realize seems kind of counter-intuitive. I've found that "right brained" activities like creative artistic pursuits tend to push me towards being even more empathic to the point that it is very difficult to control. Scientific or mathematical problem solving (which, admittedly, stillrequire some creativity) tends to silence that part of me to some degree. I am happiest when I have balance: too many artistic pursuits and I feel out of control and ungrounded; too much scientific thinking and I feel cut off from the world. So, for me, it's science while making certain that I have at least one artistic outlet in my life.

Scott Yates
@scott-yates
last year
62 posts
I work in maintenance. Nothing else really suits me. Being empathic, I have an overwhelming urge to fix things/ people that are broken. Comes with the territory I guess. So the job fits during work hours as well as after hours with those I meet.
Sarah
@sarah
last year
386 posts

I'm a writer, too, and most of my writer friends are empaths as well. It must be connected. I wish I lived in Southwest England, but alas, I live in the western U.S. To pay the bills between book sales, I work at a school. I love working with kids. Their energy is so bright and fun and crazy in a good way.

Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
last year
726 posts
I am an accountant/tax preparer. Early on in my career, I enjoyed the book work, as long as I could keep to myself. However, since the digital era has come, I no longer do book work as much as just preparing taxes. Due to the stressful nature of the job I am retiring in this line of work. The job lends itself to stress...no one likes taxes...and if the person happens to owe, somehow it always becomes your fault. Not to mention cranky co workers.
Sev91
@sev91
last year
8 posts

I am studying to become a counselor, and my ultimate goal is to become a psychologist. Cliche, no?

Crownite
@crownite
last year
107 posts

I work as a registered nurse in the neonatal icu. I use to work with adults but burn out quickly too. Mostly because of the demands placed on nurses despite having little autonomy in the work place.

Soothsayer4
@soothsayer4
last year
44 posts

OK, I may be the only mental health counselor here then. Perhaps more will come forward about such a profession. However I have found that doing counseling as an empath has rewards but also that additional challenge of dealing with residual energy after a session. The good thing though, seemed to be that I have been doing this so long that I found a way to keep it at the office (on the most part). There is a thing called flash memory. Well I found that one can also do flash empathic viewing. You just have to be willing to either absorb the imprint that is left, carry it and dump it somewhere, or otherwise fight it - knowing intuitively that memory of emotion is not yours. Otherwise an empath in this profession would surely break down completely. Hope this helps a bit

Tesha Johnson
@tesha-johnson
last year
11 posts
I find it very hard to deal with people so as an empath I work as a grooming assistant for a boring kennel I find it very rewarding to work with animals and not have to deal with the owners to often as I pick up on everything from them and end up mirroring their tone of voice.
billyscotia
@billyscotia
last year
5 posts
I grew up in a bar and at a very young age I knew I was an empath. As a bar tender it was a great skill. Then I went on to be a paramedic and then I worked with the disabled but I would always burn out. I'm now I'm retail, not as much stress and I can use my ability.
Bigg Hoss
@bigg-hoss
last year
36 posts

I did phone work for most of my career. Like (horrible) Telemarketing and Tech support. Every time I took on a new job it was horrific because the stress levels are so high on top of raging jerks on the phone people like us stay in a constant state of turmoil :( I would luckily get so good at it I could relax and make people happy sometimes and it would be manageable part of the time. My last major job of around 3 or so years I mastered and could stay in control of situations and help people with little to know incident. My ex left me and I got laid off around the same time withing a year or less of each other and it got very rough needless to say. My next and last job was so bad and so horrific an such a rollercoaster of emotions lies and negative energies I quit. I woke up everyday and got to where I was sick and shaking with anxiety before I even clocked in :( It was doing tech support for Comcast with some sales on the side. That was the last straw for me I was just too sensitive to things on top of my own issues I had to quit. I could feel peoples rage and discontent through the phone on top of the verbal insults. My parents retired and had some issues and asked me to come stay with them and help out and I have done that since. I need to find ways to make money from home as well now it would be greatly helpful. Now if I can just figure out what to do :P

Bigg Hoss
@bigg-hoss
last year
36 posts

This was one of my dreams before I got discouraged :( I was half way through or so on a bachelors in psych. I wanted to be a addictions counselor. Seems the older I get the more sensitive I become and makes me second guess this kind of work. It sounds like it is very demanding for us. I bet it feels wonderful to see someone helped though.

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
last year
1,185 posts

Soothsayer 4,

You're not the only one, but being a psychiatric social worker running group therapy for teenage girls was not what burned me out. I had to move to a part of the country where my life-threatening allergies did not exist, and could not find a job in my field here, so I ended up in the business world. It was the shocking shallowness and total lack of morals in the business world that eventually made me so depressed that my immunity fell and I got a serious disease and am on disability. It was not residual from the psych work that made me ill. It was very fulfilling, and I was friends with my coworkers. I could not be friends with them in business, since their "values" made me sick to my stomach. That's a very lonely feeling. I agree with what Big Hoss said....helping people is an unmatched high.

C. Cat

Soothsayer4
@soothsayer4
last year
44 posts

Let me tell you, it is a difficult and challenging journey for an empath, but well worth it if you can find a way to ground yourself and keep yourself in check. The hardest part is knowing your own stuff and that of the person you are with, and being able to walk away clean afterwards. Good luck to you. It's a true journey of knowing we are connected to everyone's pain... No man is an island...

Soothsayer4
@soothsayer4
last year
44 posts

Thanks Cat. It's good to know other empaths have been in the field. I couldnt do what you did in business either. God has a calling for us.

WindWolf
@windwolf
last year
117 posts
I work as a cook, well most of the jobs I've had were cook jobs. I've also been tech support over the phone thank God I got away from that. I love helping people but it was too much and I'd say about 90% of the people that called in had an attitude a treated me like I wasn't even human. Cooking helps me because there are normally good vibes when food is involved. And in my spare time I write, I've always wanted to be a famous author. Helping people escape reality like books helped me when I was younger
Easeful
@easeful
last year
1 posts

I have found great enjoyment in advocacy/social work. I didn't know I was an empath until the very end of my career but explains how I was able to do my job. I have the ability to see injustice through the eyes of those whose disabilities and limitations I do not share. This allowed me to advocate successfully for those unable to voice their needs adequately themselves, primarily the elderly and mentally ill.

This ability made me a hero for a lot of people. And being someone's hero is a heady and addictive feeling. I worked in this field for the last 10 years of my life. It can be difficult and soul sucking and I was fortunate to have situations that allowed for long breaks, ie: regular 4 day weekends and 2 or 3 week vacations twice a year.

The other area where I found I was able to achieve was in accounting and IT. Dealing with reports and numbers was way less exhausting than coping with the public.

Raven3
@raven3
last year
15 posts
I did well when I worked at a bead store. It was still retail, but I really knew what I was doing and it was a more specialized clientele. Plus it was creative work.
Bookworm
@bookworm
last year
85 posts
Hi HayleyI realise you posted this a while ago but I am in London so south (ish) and happy to chat :)I recently moved jobs from a horrible environment that was turning me into a person I didn't really recognise anymore, to a new company where I'm doing the same thing (marketing) but working for a charity and with a really positive working atmosphere and the difference is astounding.I also worked in retail for several years and mostly hated it, too much interaction and some of the negativity from people can really get to you! Like you I enjoy writing and a lot of people here benefit from being able to use their creativity in some way; obviously it's hard when you have to pay for food and a roof over your head but if you can try to follow your passions and incorporate them somehow into your day job you'll probably find you're much happier. I think empaths struggle to just show up, do their day job then go home and forget about it, so it can take some time to find the right fit. But definitely don't let other people put you off or make you feel you should be doing things differently - it's your life and only you can figure out what will make you happy!Inbox me anytime I'm always happy to talk :) xx
h1234
@h1234
last year
49 posts

Wow! thanks everyone for your insightful posts and honest viewpoints.

Its hard following your heart, particularly when worried about how things affect others, ill try and write to those who want me to chat individually.

Love and light

Hayley x

Lindsey
@lindsey
last year
3 posts
Hiii for a long time I was the same way! I never felt like I could handle the jobs/weren't the right ones for me until I found out I was empath and realized I need some sort of job doing energy work (everyone is different). For me being in retail or a place that has a lot of people and their energy is overwhelming. I've now been a reiki healer for the past year and absolutely love it! Not only do I get to help others but it helps me too! Try visualizing yourself surrounded in white light, this is great for general protection and grounding. It will help you feel more comfortable and confident and will shield you from any lower energies. As empaths we have to be careful not to soak up the energy around us like sponges because it can lead to anxiety, depression and stress. I hope this helps, I would definitely look into reiki, it's amazing :)Love + light
Josh3
@josh3
last year
2 posts

I used to be in law enforcement. About 10 years ago, I changed to finance and wealth management. I have always used my passion and drive to help people. Plus, I am able to focus my analytical abilities and use my intelligence for the same reasons.

Soothsayer4
@soothsayer4
last year
44 posts

Sevy91,

Let me know if I can give you any advice on your career path. As an empathy, it was lots of trial and error... just don't take it home with you.  There are several visualization exercises that help with this.  With work we can also digest other's energy.  Hope it goes well for you on the education and career.

Corey Easton
@corey-easton
last year
62 posts

Currently a computer technician, I'm getting my Bachelors in Computer Science and might do software engineering but if that becomes too much would rather work at home or stick with becoming an IT manager were the work is easy and I can focus on myself 

Corey Easton
@corey-easton
last year
62 posts

Corey Easton:

Currently a computer technician, I'm getting my Bachelors in Computer Science and might do software engineering but if that becomes too much would rather work at home or stick with becoming an IT manager were the work is easy. And I can focus on helping others and making sure im a "healthy empath" I'm extremely good at logic work, gets me away from everything and you are either "right" or your "wrong"

mommy4
@mommy4
last year
28 posts

Currently I'm a stay at home mom but one job I hope to go back to that I loved was was waitressing. But not at night time.  Night time waitressing was mostly drunk people from the bar down the street. People full of negative energies or emotional wrecks.  Good for tips but horrible for a empath. And the night shift where I worked was 10 hour shifts.  I was a awesome was waitress and liked day time better people were friendlier and in the right state of mind.  When I left and my fiancé was a cook for same restaurant on the same shift he left with me so their 3rd shift took a down fall I heard after he and I left. Customers loved when him and I worked together we are an awesome team but gotta find a waitress pay that contributes more than $4 an hour. Maybe soon again him and I can team up again. He still cooking at another place but with our kids schedules aren't meeting up.  But,  it was fulfilling to me which is odd because being a mom of 4 ages 6-2 years old I do nothing but serve food and clean up messes but I enjoyed it was able to get to know some sweet older regulars who just wanted coffee usually but more calm energies so it was easy to be around them and listen to their stories and such. But,  maybe I'm unique nobody usually enjoys waitressing but throughout all my jobs I liked it better than them all. I'm only in my 20's though so I've got some time in between to find many jobs or maybe build onto my enjoyment in serving and maybe management or owning a small restaurant. Not sure yet but thought I could maybe help. Hope you find a fulfilling career or job that you feel great doing soon.  Blessed Be

Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
last year
726 posts

mommy4:

Currently I'm a stay at home mom but one job I hope to go back to that I loved was was waitressing. But not at night time.  Night time waitressing was mostly drunk people from the bar down the street. People full of negative energies or emotional wrecks.  Good for tips but horrible for a empath. And the night shift where I worked was 10 hour shifts.  I was a awesome was waitress and liked day time better people were friendlier and in the right state of mind.  When I left and my fiancé was a cook for same restaurant on the same shift he left with me so their 3rd shift took a down fall I heard after he and I left. Customers loved when him and I worked together we are an awesome team but gotta find a waitress pay that contributes more than $4 an hour. Maybe soon again him and I can team up again. He still cooking at another place but with our kids schedules aren't meeting up.  But,  it was fulfilling to me which is odd because being a mom of 4 ages 6-2 years old I do nothing but serve food and clean up messes but I enjoyed it was able to get to know some sweet older regulars who just wanted coffee usually but more calm energies so it was easy to be around them and listen to their stories and such. But,  maybe I'm unique nobody usually enjoys waitressing but throughout all my jobs I liked it better than them all. I'm only in my 20's though so I've got some time in between to find many jobs or maybe build onto my enjoyment in serving and maybe management or owning a small restaurant. Not sure yet but thought I could maybe help. Hope you find a fulfilling career or job that you feel great doing soon.  Blessed Be

Funny, I like waitressing too. I did it from my teens to early 20s before I became a bartender....which is a job I liked too, except when dealing with someone that had too much to drink. I then went to college to become an accountant, which paid a lot more with benefits. I now volunteer for hospice which I wish was a paid position due to the fact I really like it. I often think of my lifetime of jobs....waitressing was my favorite.

Blessings

mommy4
@mommy4
last year
28 posts

Thanks cat whisperer... I was thinking along maybe starting a small restaurant or something with my fiancé since he's a cook and we work well together and not just including our 4 children our immediate family is big also so it could be a family business sort of.  His family is full of hard workers but I know he's had rough patches with people hiring him until he started cooking but they really missed out on hiring him cause he a hard worker and will work overtime and cover shifts etc. They just didnt hire him for a few years for no reason. He has no felonies, tattoos, etc.  It was just hard for men in their 20's to find a job at the time and our family need a job where the job is flexible. So,  maybe a family business to prepare our kids when they get old enough and that works well for the family so they can do their jobs and still have a life, make money with little to no drama is going in a good direction. His dad needs work but had a injury that prevents him or limits him and his mom needs a flexible job so it may suit everybody's needs around people we love.  His parents have done a lot to help us so this is sort of my way to help give a little back. And he and I will feel like we've accomplished something that helps or loved one's because we know their strengths and such so that's beneficial. And his sister is a manager right now so she can help and I'm use to handling the paperwork and schedules are my expertise so it feels like a doable dream. 

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book