Empath or Profiler?

To post a reply, login or signup

Sev91
@sev91
last year
8 posts

I've found information online that states that empaths are actually just spectacular profilers. I can't help but feel that there is more to it than this. What do you guys think?

updated by @sev91: 04/15/17 03:40:50AM
Trevor Lewis
@trevor-lewis
last year
274 posts

I am not sure what is meant by "spectacular profiler".

The definition I use of an empath is "Someone who takes on the feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of other people as if they were their own. This ability may exist regardless of physical proximity, range of the five physical senses, or intellectual knowledge of the activities of the other person."

If "spectacular profiler" means someone who takes a limited amount of sensory input through the regular five senses and extrapolates the rest of the information in a "spectacular" way, then no, absolutely not. I regularly find myself process someone else's energy where I have got NO connection with them through the mainstream five senses. I know many other empaths who operate similarly.

Sev91
@sev91
last year
8 posts

What I meant by 'spectacular profiler' was just what you said.

I agree. I can not even be looking at someone and feel something from them. It's nice to know that other people feel the same way.

Trevor Lewis
@trevor-lewis
last year
274 posts

It irks me that so many people are writing about empaths and don't know what they are writing about (or feel that they have to invent their own terminology) ... but consciousness is changing faster than human language can keep pace!

The sooner we can communicate telepathically (once more!) the sooner we can move beyond this antiquated notion of using words to convey meaning, LOL! :-)

Visitor
@visitor
last year
303 posts

No way. Profilers use their five ordinary senses to "type" people. I never type people, and it annoys me when others do it. My reactions are purely emotional and pretty confusing. I'm still a newbie empath and just beginning to understand it.

Visitor
@visitor
last year
303 posts

I think a lot of people think of Deanna Troi from Star Trek, some curvy goddess from outer space.

Trevor Lewis
@trevor-lewis
last year
274 posts

Hehe! Yes, the day I realized that I was an empath it was Deanna Troi, indeed, who was immediately in my head to provide the label "empath".

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
last year
1,194 posts

Hi Trevor and anyone else with an opinion, (Sorry this got so long!)

I agree we are not profilers, who tend to use left brain logic to type people, whereas we favor the right brain.

I have a couple of questions for you..... Trevor, you said above that: "This ability may exist regardless of physical proximity".

I have often heard that said about psychic ability, but have read that for empaths, who may be, but are not always psychics, physical proximity makes what is being picked up much stronger. Do you see any difference there or not?

I have some psychic abilities and at least for me, proximity strongly affects both those abilities and my picking up of others thoughts and feelings, even to the point where some of the symptoms of a serious illness I have disappear when I am at other people's homes, rather than my own. I live in what I would call a monster sandwich, between the two most malevolent, constantly angry, mentally ill externalizers I have ever met, and can't move w/o leaving my spouse, whom I love. If I have attracted this somehow, then so have all the other neighbors who have moved to get away from them (3 and counting). One set of them was here before I came.

I take it you would disagree that my proximity to these people ,who send me visible waves of blackness, blame, envy and anger, is affecting me, and that I would absorb the same amount if I was 1,000 miles away? I wonder what is going on here then. If that is true, I need to give up my dream of moving and learn how to deal with it here. I've tried saging, salt, feng shui, and do daily sending of source light through Qi Gong as love to them to replace darkness. Been doing it a very long time now w/minuscule change.

Btw, thanks to all for the discussion of protection. Trevor, you once told me I had the only 100% effective shield you'd ever seen here at EC. I use that because of the people I mentioned above.

After reading another post like this about it being a bad idea to shield, I stopped doing it and within 24 hours I woke up seeing and feeling through a very dark entity inside my head. .....scared me half to death to experience what it is to be a psychopath. I had to call upon Archangel Uriel to help me get the Arc*on out of me, and I usually have no trouble evicting them from my aura and sending them back to source. I'd never had one inside like that. I would guess this means my own vibration is too low to go without a shield at this time, but I would go back around the circle to these surrounding energies who I feel pulling me down and the oppression does leave when I am away from here along with several physical symptoms. I actually believe my illness, despite abnormal tests that prove it's "physical", is ultimately caused by this constant absorption. It is like eating organic food but drinking soda with it and expecting to be well. How does one get out of this vicious circle?

I should also mention that unlike most here, I am not a light worker but a light warrior, and feel I am more prone to attack from lower vibrations as a result. There used to be two others like me here, who could confirm what we go through as light warriors, but they have left, so I feel very vulnerable in even posting this, which is sad. I do not like doing this job, but when I tried to "resign" it only worked for 3 weeks, and then I found myself fighting them all night on the astral plane again, exhausting me. I would ask those who've never encountered the Arc*ons to refrain from judging them as "not bad energy"until they have walked a mile in my shoes and fully understood they Arc*ons intentions towards humanity. The darkness plays a part in bringing out the light in people, I agree. However, the light has more than one part to play also.

Namaste,

C. Cat

Trevor Lewis
@trevor-lewis
last year
274 posts

Great question Cat. You got me on a writing spree in response.

I think there are many factors influencing how we pick up energy from other people:

1. Sending:
    Some people transmit their energy more strongly than others and the depth of the emotions that they are experiencing will also turn up the volume that they are sending out.

2. Receiving:
    Our sensitivity as receivers will factor into how much energy we pick up.

3. Awareness:
    The unaware person may be just as sensitive as the aware person. The latter will understand why they are having mood swings the former will not.

4. Bloodline:
    Blood relatives will influence us regardless of where in the world we are and whether we are thinking about them or not.

5. Emotional connection:
    Friends and acquaintances will influence us primarily based on the strength of the emotional connection we have to them largely without regard to physical proximity. The stronger the emotional connection is, the less influence physical proximity has. Having worked from home for many years with teams spread all over the country I have certainly picked up energy from managers and teammates regardless of location.

6. Physical Proximity
    Neighbors and strangers will influence us based physical proximity. This is true for people living in our neighborhood who we have never met and the strangers that we brush up against in the shopping mall.

I'll leave it to you to determine how much of a different moving across country could make to the amount of energy you are currently dealing with. Being out of sight, may help with you being out of their mind!

Does this help? More clarification required?

Blessings,

Trevor

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
last year
1,194 posts

Hi Trevor,

Thanks so much. That clarified it totally. :-)

These are both neighbors, one to the south and one to the north, which is why I said I live in a "monster sandwich". The ones to the south are my husband's relatives, but we have nothing to do with them and my husband is not an empath and finds it easy to simply ignore them, while I feel them intensely and actually see waves of blackness coming from the one to the north. The one to the north is just a neighbor, but has driven 3 other neighbors to sell and move to get away from her.

The one thing we did do which has helped to limit their access is to put up 6 foot high solid wood fencing all the way around with a gate that looks just like more fence, and our friends have to be taught how to open it.

So, I have to conclude moving probably would help as much as I think it would, but it seems impossible, due to several factors I won't bore you with reading, unless you feel they will help with your answer. Given that, if you had to stay in place in my shoes, what would you try to lessen the effects?

Thanks for your expertise,

C. Cat

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
last year
1,194 posts

Trevor,

In reply to your amended post, two of the 5 people involved, one on each side of us, are INTENSELY emotionally reactive in terms of instant anger. If you told them with a smile that it was a nice day today, they would angrily yell at you that it was not and you don't know anything. I totally agree with you about strength of transmission, because I am able to handle the energy from the other 3 people, even though they are pretty dark.

Their volume is definitely turned up to Max! One of them is what psychs call a "gusher" who deals with her emotions by immediately passing them on and she must be talking to someone all the time. If she can't find a relative or friend to telephone, she'll go looking for a neighbor to discharge her anger upon, and we are her closest neighbors. Unfortunately for me, she despises other women, but is afraid of men, so she does not bother my spouse. I feel this is due to reactive projection from her family of origin situation. She is also a dry drunk. The other is a narcissistic sociopath and pathological liar with severe untreated ADHD who is insanely jealous of my husband, who is his older and far more successful (in every way) brother. And, yes, I am qualified to diagnose these things and am unfortunately not exaggerating.

Any ideas to turn down the volume to where it won't affect me? I do feel it is part of why my physical condition keeps deteriorating, despite my doing everything right to fix it. I hope your info will help someone else reading this too, since I don't want to divert the thread's purpose.

Thanks,

C. Cat

Visitor
@visitor
last year
303 posts

Speaking of "regardless of proximity", I pick up vibes from the internet, telephone, TV, etc. I have to be very careful. I see so many horrific things out of the corner of my eye when I'm browsing, and I internalize them whether I pay full attention to them or not.

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
last year
1,194 posts

Hi visitor,

YES!!! For me the animal abuse stories or commercials are the worst. I can never get them out of my head. They break my heart. Its an understatement to say that they do not help me learn to love people unconditionally, which is something I already have big enough problems with. I can mute the TV ads and turn my eyes away, but tend to avoid reading our local news on our homepage, since they sneak in a horrible animal abuse story almost daily.

C. Cat

Dice
@dice
last year
284 posts

I look forward to the day :)

Trevor Lewis
@trevor-lewis
last year
274 posts

Hi CC:

I have posted this blog as a reply to your request (it's not really on topic for this discussion).

Enjoy,

Trevor

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
last year
1,194 posts

Thank you Trevor, and my apologies to Sev91.

C.C.

Karen2
@womanwhowalks
last year
803 posts

No...that's not what she said at all...

LaoG
@laog
last year
137 posts

It is possible to be psychic like that, mothers have been known to recognize when their child is in danger from a very far distance away. Dogs know when their owner is coming from a far distance behind closed doors(so that can't really be blamed on smell). Have you heard of quantum teleportation?

Also on a side note @greed, you were kind of harsh to Karen before, I cant find the topic you had from before now maybe it got deleted, but I think she deserves an apology. The 'why are you on an empath site go to a narc site' like comment (I don't remember word for word) was uncalled for.

LaoG
@laog
last year
137 posts

Well, you stated something along the lines of an empath being someone who could just be sensitive because of trauma. Naturally, children are wired to adapt to their environment and survive, that is as far as I know the strongest impulse they have because at such an age they are mostly concerned with self satisfaction of immediate desires. Therefore they may learn or try to learn how to pick up emotional signals from emotional abusers to avoid immediate pain. An adult may try to endure short term 'pain' or 'discomfort' from confrontation or find some complex strategy but children often just use the short term method due to the fact that they aren't that developed on an intellectual level.

Anyway, having stated all of that, if the psyche of a child is wired to 'always understand what makes someone ticks' for the sake of self-preservation, the use of reading body language which is an inherent skill in many mammals would be given a high priority, and the exercising of it may be put on a subconscious level, as it is tantamount to 'survival' or a very strong behaviour (in this sense being an empath can be considered perhaps a pathological behaviour, and many struggle setting boundaries because of this).

I don't know if the person in question had a childhood where they had to constantly read people's emotions to survive or if they inherited genes that gave them an advantage in this area, but I do believe that the circumstances I have explained are a valid explanation for interpersonal communication skills at the level of what would be considered ESP.

As for sensing emotions long distance, I believe it is very possible.

http://www.light-hearts.com/rainbow5.htm <--- this is an example of telepathy from long distance between parents and even adoptive parents. I believe that if such an awareness of others was necessary for survival at a young age or in a rough environment, it may be developed for the sake of survival, as that is the basis on which behaviour is formed for many, many people.

In that sense, empaths may not necessarily be 'good', as much as they are survivalists. If there is a good person, that is probably someone who overcomes their pathological behaviour to do what is 'right' whatever that is.

Well I went off again on the reply lol that ending seemed like the ending of an essay lol gotta have that cherry on top.

Karen2
@womanwhowalks
last year
803 posts
Lol..too funny...lol
Karen2
@womanwhowalks
last year
803 posts
Thanks LaoG...lots of hugs..
Lavender&rose
@lavenderrose
last year
82 posts

Adults are not traumatized by verbal abuse?!! Good lord. I think you need to experience a bit of adulthood, or at least read up a bit on such things.

I think your comments to or (supposedly) 'about' Karen have been atrocious, and utterly uncalled for.

Karen2
@womanwhowalks
last year
803 posts
Lol...that's why you erased em...I said... people on this site deserve respect...that I came to this site to try and help others...that it makes me feel good to help others going through what I went through...when they start trusting in themselves and relaxing...that everyone has a story that deserves to be heard including yours...and I had the right to stand up and defend those including myself who are being mistreated which In my opinion you were doing...so..aside from the narcissistic remark...like you I don't really think I have anything to apologize for...I don't think I projected my energy on you..at all...I don't hate people...I dislike them...but not hate...I love my family even though we've had our troubles...my empathic abilities are mine...I have nothing to prove to you...so...all this over stupid iq...any my saying something because I felt it was wrong...and the right thing to do to speak up...i'd do it again...
Lavender&rose
@lavenderrose
last year
82 posts

Er...

'I think the reason why adults dont get traumatized from verbal abuse is that they don't have to be around the abuser.'

'Another reason why adults won't be traumatized by verbal abuse is that they won't internalize it, because they will usually have other people to go to to talk about it and get an objective opinion.'

I see no 'most'.

'Jesus christ, can you address what I actually said for once and stop putting words in my mouth?'

This is starting to sound more and more like crazy talk. I have put no words in your mouth. We have no relationship. There is no 'for once'. Please contain your rage here.

Karen2
@womanwhowalks
last year
803 posts

You saw something in what I said didn't you?....and it scared you...that's why you had the panic attack...and why you erased the topic....your scared that what I said is the truth....your angry and frustrated and scared....well guess what? Your NOT the only one with that problem...not anymore...we are all at different levels of healing...but we are not here to be your punching bags either...

Karen2
@womanwhowalks
last year
803 posts
No...I told you i've had past bad relationships...and not in any detail...you asked about them...I answered...no projection...just one person asking a question and another replying to an easy question...which was really nice of you. ..
Rene''
@rene
last year
1,194 posts
Me toooo!!
Dice
@dice
last year
284 posts

Or is it that Empaths make great profilers. :)

Rene''
@rene
last year
1,194 posts
Yes please do because we are Empaths and your rage will be like ripples on the water when a rock is thrown. I am an Empath with some psychic abilities long and short distances. But first and faremost, I'm an Empath. And I have to say I am feeling some bad vibs. I didn't think I was a profiler until now but the vibs never lie.The only time we "analyze" one another is to help one another. We do not need to be beat down by words because we are experts at doing that to ourselves already.We share our lives on here for a reason, we understand each other.I have seen this on other forums and that's why I'm here. I can post when I'm in a good mood or bad mood and I know someone here understands and i don't have to worry that every word I say is going to be torn apart. They may have an opinion or ask why but for as being judge, I haven't experienced that here.Now see, I'm having a "centered" day and my anger problem is mellow. You can thank my guides for that.
Ecila
@ecila
last year
898 posts

I haven't read this whole thread so sorry if this has been mentioned, but if you can stand bloody shows, the Hannibal TV series did have an empathic profiler. I couldn't resist mentioning this...I loved the show! I can see how being empathic could make for a great profiler, but what we think of as a true empath would involve more on an energetic level.

Karen2
@womanwhowalks
last year
803 posts

I'm sorry...but what the heck is a dry drunk?.... lol...I don't think I ever heard that expression before...lol

Visitor
@visitor
last year
303 posts

A dry drunk is an alcoholic who doesn't drink, but hasn't confronted the things that make him want to drink. Lots of AA members don't drink at all, but they are still dealing with the daily urge to drink, and the emotional trauma that makes them turn to it, and so forth. I believe they teach members to find another addiction to replace drinking. AA meetings are addictive, so is coffee, so is knitting, so is church, and lots of other harmless things. I don't know much about it, but as long as they're making a difference, I applaud them. I don't have that particular addiction, but my brother is a dry drunk. He thinks AA is for losers and he thinks not drinking is good enough. (It's not good enough.)

Visitor
@visitor
last year
303 posts

It's not just about profiling. I remember being at work one day, and feeling a sudden chill, like a refrigerator had just opened. I looked around and saw a woman I despised, waiting to talk to me (I despised her too). That's not a profile; that's a personal reaction. I didn't even judge her or "type" her for hating me; I just felt her chilly emotions. (Note: There was a man behind it.) Saying we're profilers is simplifying the matter FAR too much.

Sev91
@sev91
last year
8 posts
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
last year
733 posts
Don't let him doubt yourself. If he is with you long enough, he will eventually witness the "unexplainable". My husband was a hardcore skeptic, however, since being around me for the past 10 years, he admits now that there are things that defy common logic ;) and cannot be explained away.
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
last year
733 posts
He is even to the point that if I get moody for no reason he is the first to point out, " Maybe your picking it up from someone else." Lol :)
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
last year
733 posts
Ditto!
Rene''
@rene
last year
1,194 posts
Yes, my husband was also like that and would tell me "you know , they make medicine for that" lol but he's coming around. He help me buy some crystals then bought himself one. I told him we are buying crystals for me he said will this one is a nice one. I told him whatever but your not putting it in my box. Lol Humans are scared of what they don't understand.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book