Am I really an Empath?

To post a reply, login or signup

Irvine Krei Alforte
@irvine-krei-alforte
last year
4 posts
Hi everyone! I'm 22 and I have discovered a few days ago about being an Empath. One thing is for sure, I have been overwhelmed and I am having an information overload. However, the traits that I have read about an article of being an Empath really stuck in my mind.When I was younger, I easily get hurt (physically and emotionally) and there were times that I do not even know why I am hurt. I get overly stressed or exhausted when I am at a party or social gatherings. I often feel fatigued or depressed although I should be happy because everyone seemed so happy. I don't even know why I feel so negative and my friends are wierded out and sometimes they say I am a kill joy.I also have a tendency (gut feel) that somebody is telling me lies and I often feel bad about it. I also have a tendency to shoo someone out and I cannot distinguish the reason why I feel uncomfortable with his/her presence.Sometimes, I woke up having dreadful, vivid dreams or nightmares. There are instances that I experience sleep paralysis (although I'm not sure if this has anything to do with being an Empath).With these experiences, I tend to stay indoors to spend my days alone listening to music or watching music videos to comfort me or to get on the day... Is there any way to confirm that I am an Empath and if yes, how can I cope up and/or what can I do about it? Thank you so much!P.S. I was so curious the past few days and I tried to do the Empath Test and scored 76 out of 100 and it says that I am truly an Empath. Although I am not so sure about it unless somebody confirms it.
updated by @irvine-krei-alforte: 01/09/17 05:13:03PM
Trevor Lewis
@trevor-lewis
last year
272 posts

Hi Irvine,

For sure you are an empath! You have all the classic signs and most of us here have have come here with the same doubts you have.

One of our members, Bing, has a wealth of information (which he will almost certainly post to your page in the next day or two) and I'll add my usual "welcome package" over there too.

You are in the right place! Welcome to the EC.

Trevor

Irvine Krei Alforte
@irvine-krei-alforte
last year
4 posts
Although, I still do not know what to do right now but I have finally come to realize a thing or two... It's like a puzzle piece of a picture that is starting to become clear. But, I still am confused. Maybe in due time, everything will be settled. Thank you for confirming some of my doubts, Trevor, I really appreciate it.
Trevor Lewis
@trevor-lewis
last year
272 posts

It took many of us decades to find this community and to understand what being an empath really meant. I didn't fully get it until 2012 when I turned 56!

You are starting much younger. That may mean a steeper learning curve but your generation are starting from a place that many of us old fogies only dreamed about.

Good luck with all the reading. Keep asking questions!

Irvine Krei Alforte
@irvine-krei-alforte
last year
4 posts
Thank you so much, Trevor. By merely having to like talk to you makes me feel better and lighter.Although I would like some things to be clarified... There is a trait that says an Empath easily cries... Which is not true to me -- I only cry when I am up to the point of exploding but that rarely happens. I sometimes feel suicidal with all the depression, stress that builds up inside my system -- tho I don't know how or why I am feeling that way (but now I know why).I would like to know what I can do to prevent these negative emotions build up inside me and I am having a hard time to release them by crying.I really hope you can help me. Thank you! :)
Trevor Lewis
@trevor-lewis
last year
272 posts

I don't agree with that trait about empaths crying.

There are lots of lists about traits of an empath. I have whittled them down to:

• Were you described as over-sensitive as a child?
  • Do you pick up energy from other people?
  • Do you avoid crowds?
  • Do you avoid watching the news and sad or violent movies?
  • Do you sense when someone is not telling the truth?
  • Do you experience emotions for reasons that you often dont understand and cant control?

Sending you a friend request ! :-)

Trevor

Irvine Krei Alforte
@irvine-krei-alforte
last year
4 posts
Thank you for making a list of the traits of an Empath, Trevor. I really appreciate it.I relate to almost all of the traits that you have listed down. However, I do not know what you mean by picking up on someone's energy. Somehow, I can sense that a person is bad or not true with what he/she shows. I can easily tell whether they are good or bad or if they have a hidden agenda towards somebody (gut feel). If that's what you meant by picking up on a person's energy then maybe yes.I totally avoid crowds! Some people call me a snob or an anti-social because I would do everything just to escape on a party, social gatherings or any crowds (there is an exception though, inside a computer cafe -- because I'm addicted to online games and I love to get lost in the virtual world and focus on it). I often feel light headed or nauseous whenever I am on a huge crowd. Sometimes, I can also feel like I would fall down because my knees always go weak whenever I can sense that there is somebody watching me! I can't tell the difference between this trait or having a stage fright. Lol.I do not know about watching TV tho.. Maybe I just don't like watching TV or reading newspapers ever since I was younger. I don't even remember as to why I do not like watching TV... Whenever my friends or family would go on a movie marathon and they watch horror films or some nasty movie with a lot of blood or violence, I often feel sick to the point of throwing up, I feel nauseous and sometimes I get a headache.I have been depressed for a long time and I have even tried committing suicide because of the sadness and feeling that I'm alone in this world. I can't control these emotions and by the time that I am about to explode, I just usually go inside my room, lay down and just feel the ache that is throbbing inside me. I can't even think of a good reason as to why so suddenly I feel sad or depressed and feeling them is not quite fun! I don't know if this has something to do with the trauma that I have felt when I was just a kid that I have become a depressive person but I just can't comprehend the emotion that overwhelms me everytime. :(By the way, which request are you going to send me? Is it on Facebook or here? I would gladly accept it. :) Thanks!
Trevor Lewis
@trevor-lewis
last year
272 posts

On the top right hand side of your page here on the EC you should see a friend request (1) listed there. You should also see a list of reading materials under Comments on your home page here.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book