Not sure if I am an empath

To post a reply, login or signup

Suze Rockluvva
@suze-rockluvva
last year
4 posts

Hi

Just joined this group as am interested in finding like-minded people. My name is Suzie & I am not sure if I'm an empath or not, but I seem to fit a lot of the criteria to be one.

I warn you now, I can be very prolific. I have kept a diary since I was 13 (Im now 45) & it has saved my life, since I didnt have any outlets growing up (unhappy childhood) & wrote all my thoughts & feelings in the diary. Im a very sensitive soul & tend to attract likeminded people. This isnt always a good thing, as we can clash a lot if I get too involved with someone. I have a serious lack of balance with emotions, its all or nothing a lot of the time & that can cause me untold problems.

I think I could be an empath (from what Ive read). Im extremely sensitive to other peoples emotions, can pick up on their sensitivity or vulnerability & it attracts me to them. I call it a connection & it brings out the caring in me. It doesnt have to be verbal or physical, it cannot & is never communicated through words or actions, since neither happen for it to bepresent. The only way I can describe it really, is that I feel it as a subconsciously projected emotion.

My 4 main trats are intensity, passion, depth & loving & due to me lacking no or very little balance, I have to be careful because they can overpower.Two people Ive been involved with in the past one I helped accept touch as a good thing, not something that can hurt, another I helped become loving, open & calmer just by loving them unconditionally.

But I do have a nasty temper & lots of buried anger due to my past. I have had counselling to help me release feelings as they happen instead of bottling them up, which has helped me a lot over the last few years, but I do still feel I have a lot of unresolved issues, so am still working on them.

Hope I haven't put anyone off. but wouldn't be surprised if I have, since I tend to due to my lack of balance & overpowering emotions that I can't always control.

updated by @suze-rockluvva: 01/10/17 11:15:55PM
last year
159 posts

Hi Suzie

You sound extremely sensitive and empathic to me - Have not put me off :) - be yourself!!!

The anger from your past is something many people hear would identify with, unresolved issues (at least I believe to be) are very much a factor of my own route to discovering the empath connection within me. The having experienced trauma, upset as a means to understand it and not repeat if that makes sense? - I am rarely angry but, when I am, I am not nice. It is a short outburst but, I end up in a self loathing for sometime afterwards.

We are all individual so each will have had a different route :)

I hear you, I am a very in depth person, people are wary of me, I have no real balance and feel overwhelmed often concerning making any kind of relationship, even if very casual such as meeting someone randomly, I am an intense character...

I too am working towards a means of balance, I do not think being an empath has any rules per se, we all seem to have to have different perspectives and `abilities` so to speak.... emotional imbalance being pretty much a given lol..... Just know you are not `crazy` no one is :)

Alison
@alison
last year
71 posts

Have you come across giftedness in adults? I read Mary Elaine Jacobsensen's book recently (the Gifted Adult) and it's helped me more than almost anything. I would never have classed myself as 'gifted'. I mention it because the three main traits are intensity, complexity and drive. Sound a bit like your description of yourself!

Visitor
@visitor
last year
303 posts

Empaths aren't angels or saints - we're humans with a gift, and yes, we can definitely have nasty tempers and even be downright destructive. It's not just your own feelings you're bottling up; it's other people's that you have absorbed.

You're definitely an empath. Welcome aboard.

Suze Rockluvva
@suze-rockluvva
last year
4 posts

Thanks, Visitor. I often wondered if I was, but can see from reading others' comments on here that I may well be. It's amazing how good I feel when I'm on my own & when I'm close to someone I care for who's unhappy, how much it drags me down. I really do need to find out about chanelling it so it doesn't affect me so badly.

Suze Rockluvva
@suze-rockluvva
last year
4 posts

Hi Alison. I have heard about "Gifted Adults", but didn't know it applies to empaths/deep feeling people. I will definitely be looking into that - thanks so much :)

Suze Rockluvva
@suze-rockluvva
last year
4 posts

Thanks, Karma. It's great to meet like-minded people, we can all talk to each other & help each other & share our stories, makes us feel less alone, but if we want to be alone, we can be. I do need to find out how I can channel absorbing like I do that it doesn't drag me down so much. It's amazing how much better I feel once I'm on my own. Always been a loner, obviously related to what I am & I really crave alone-time more than I should

Snap
@snap
last year
103 posts

Visitor, it's interesting to hear you mention anger and absorption of others' feelings. During 2015 I dealt closely with someone in business who is clearly prone to anger. Although it's passive aggression, I knew it and it was confirmed by someone who knows the person that he had a severe temper when young (and he was still relatively young). Anyhow, I found myself angry a lot in the period I was dealing intensively with the person. I was becoming aware that emotion and energy affects me and I cut off the working relationship. I had to. It's so interesting to put all these pieces together. I know what I have to do, intuitively, much of the time; but I think I will gain ever more resolve with clarity.

Cheers, S (also a visitor!)

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book