Do I fit the label "empath"?

To post a reply, login or signup

Snap
@snap
last year
103 posts

Hi everyone. I'm new here. Although I've been aware of the term empath for a long time, I only realised it may fit me in the last three to six months. So does the label fit?

I've never liked crowded places, and I've never really known why. When I stop to think about it, however, I know I feel over-stimulated and indeed often overwhelmed and on edge. I get bouts of sadness and anxiety that come suddenly and lift before I know it, sometimes when in public or sometimes wherever I am.

I'm creative and composed music for about 15 years in total as a serious hobby. I was serious about drawing/sketching and visual art generally as a child. I had a vivid imagination. I say had because I've tended not to use it as much as I'd like for a while.

I feel storms coming, particularly more severe fronts. I am electrosensitive, particularly to fluorescent lights, mobile phones and pcs.

I have always been able to 'read' people and lately I've taken more notice of this, and realise I can sense energy from people. Highly controlling people make me feel uptight (or do I feel that they're uptight?) and make my head kind of spin out of control. Some people have energy that seems 'blurry' or 'dull' to me and sometimes they look sick in some way also.

I am very intuitive and tend to just know the reasons for events and behavior. To me it's generally obvious, but evidently not so to most others.

My mother used to say I could just read people and she trusted in me if I got a bad feeling about someone as a child.

Now I have my own children. The other day, my son was highly anxious about something (fortunately not serious but stressful for him). I was about 12 miles away from him and not in contact, and suddenly felt tight in the chest and jittery. I knew what time it was. After I got home and heard about what had happened, I described it to my son, he said that's exactly how he felt and it was at the same time.

I wonder how many times in my life something like this has happened and I thought the origin was within me!

I'm a very (very) direct and open person. I'd rather confront issues than ignore them. I find it very difficult to take passive aggression and I think the reason is that I feel the aggression very strongly and find it no excuse at all that the outward behavior is 'passive' (to me that doesn't really fit anyhow).

My first degree is in Psychology and I also have a PhD in psychometrics/educational statistics.I don't rate a lot of psychology all that highly, albeit a lot of very interesting stuff has been done in psych.

I'm known as hypersensitive by people who know me well, and that is true enough as I tend to be sensitive to things, chemical, electrical, emotional, etc.

Quite enough about me. I have quite a few topics I want to discuss here but have been on forums enough to know that it's generally a good idea to introduce yourself first.Nice to be here!

Steve

updated by @snap: 01/29/17 11:14:30PM
Rene''
@rene
last year
1,194 posts
Hello Steve, glad you found us. You, my sir, should be googles poster child for the definition of an Empath And a few other gifts I suspect.
Snap
@snap
last year
103 posts

Ha ha :) thanks Rene', that's what I'm starting to suspect!

Trevor Lewis
@trevor-lewis
last year
273 posts

I agree with Rene'.

There are lots of versions of "99 traits of an empath" out on the internet. My favorite 7 questions are:

• Were you described as an over-sensitive child?

• Do you pick up energy from other people?

• Do you feel worse when you are around crowds?

• Do you find it hard to watch the news or sad/violent movies?

• Do you sense when someone is not telling the truth?

• Do you have mood swings for reasons that you often dont understand and cant control?

• Do you have other experiences that modern science cant explain (such as telepathy, knowing future events, or knowing current events happening far away)?

So yes, "poster child for empaths" describes you well!

Welcome! Your vibe tribe is here!

Trevor

Gem
@gem
last year
220 posts
Yep I agree with Trevor and Rene :) poster child right there lol!It'll be interesting having you around and reading your experiences!Welcome!Gem x
Dice
@dice
last year
284 posts

:)

Visitor
@visitor
last year
303 posts

Are you an empath? Yes INDEED. Welcome aboard.

Snap
@snap
last year
103 posts

Thanks everyone for the welcome. My tribe huh? For once, having mostly felt like an outsider. Sounds too good to be true.

Snap
@snap
last year
103 posts

I know I answered most of these, but I can't resist :)

• Were you described as an over-sensitive child?

And adult, yes.

• Do you pick up energy from other people?

Yes, albeit I only realised just how much recently.

• Do you feel worse when you are around crowds?

Oh yeah! Wish I'd known why when I was young, and especially during University days. Those days make so much more sense now. I thought all the uncertainty, anxiety, different moods was all me. I guess I know how much confusion there is among the young people at a University. Now I work at one!

• Do you find it hard to watch the news or sad/violent movies?

I think yes. I think I desensitised myself but have now reversed that. Hard to say for sure as I basically don't watch the news and rarely watch movies. It's all from a propaganda machine to me.

• Do you sense when someone is not telling the truth?

To a painful extent! I sometime cringe when someone attempts to lie or conceal the truth. Common thought: "Seriously, you think I'm going to buy that??"

• Do you have mood swings for reasons that you often dont understand and cant control?

I think yes. I'm not "moody" at all, and find moody people a bit hard to take (wonder why?). However I do have 'sudden onset' changes in the way I feel for no apparent reason. I may abruptly feel sadness for no apparent reason. If this is the meaning, definitely yep.

• Do you have other experiences that modern science cant explain (such as telepathy, knowing future events, or knowing current events happening far away)?

Yes, I've had clear and specific premonitions (albeit rare). The biggest one for me is synchronicities, often "in your face" type, like the Universe/Source has a sense of humor. Also I tend to know how things are going to play out, especially if I use intuition rather than the analytic mind. Nice one for me: I can often sense what's going on with our dogs, and our boy (dog) often gets my visual requests (so-called commands) and follows them if he's motivated.

As for modern science, I know much of it very well and most of it is nonsense. I've had a funny journey with that one. I've gone from being a mainstream science 'junkie' to knowing most mainstream science is more like pseudo-science. The theory of relativity is perhaps most notable. It's nonsense. Einstein was an interesting fellow, he indicated he knew it was nonsense.

Best, S

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book