Empaths & Hoarders - is there a connection?

Visitor
Visitor
@visitor
2 years ago
303 posts

I'm a recovering semi-hoarder. My house doesn't look nearly as bad as those in the TV shows, but I've got all the symptoms.

I've been cleaning out, one drawer or box at a time, and I've noticed that it's horrendously emotional, especially the drawer I'm cleaning out now, which is full of old letters, cards, and other correspondence. I've been deeply depressed, not like cleaning out a sock drawer and throwing away the singles.

Then I started to wonder if there's a connection between empathy and hoarding. Hoarders attach emotions to objects, anthropomorphize them, can't let them go. That's how it's described. But we know that objects do carry emotion - other people's emotion.

Is anybody here a hoarder, recovering hoarder, semi-hoarder? I'd like to talk to you.

updated by @visitor: 09/01/18 11:27:17AM
Karen2
Karen2
@womanwhowalks
2 years ago
968 posts
Hi..i'm not a hoarder..i've been in a hoarder's house...at that time I really wasn't understanding the reasons or the mentality around that issue...and the need to collect things in access..but I do know what you mean about having difficulty throwing stuff out...birthday cards as an example...and gifts that people give...the guilt over throwing out those things is obvious to me...i've kept cards for years out of guilt...and obligation I thought... I have a beautiful collection of garden magazines that I can't seem to throw out...the photos are art..and beautiful...and cost a bit of money...lol...so...I don't buy anymore...but I keep the ones I have...just in case...lol..and you are definitely right...objects do carry energy...have you ever thought of smudging your home while cleaning and sorting to rid the house of negative energy?...that might make it less difficult and clear the room as you go...
Visitor
Visitor
@visitor
2 years ago
303 posts

Ecila - My parents are hoarders too. My father is a clean and neat hoarder - everything is labeled. My mother is dirty and messy. She hates to throw anything away, even garbage. They're getting old and I tried to live with them and help out, but it didn't work. I helped her clear out one corner of the kitchen. It took a few hours, was very exhausting, but I felt like we'd gotten somewhere. Then the next day it was all cluttered again with different stuff. I gave up!

People have to get rid of their own clutter; it's a personal process. Your mother meant well but she shouldn't have done that. The only time to intervene is when it poses a fire hazard. And I knew a woman who died because the paramedics couldn't reach her.

Visitor
Visitor
@visitor
2 years ago
303 posts

I have used smudges and incense, bells, etc. It helps a little. I think once I get all these letters cleaned out I will feel much better. It's good to clean the area out after you've de-cluttered it too - dust it or scrub it or whatever it needs.

Karen2
Karen2
@womanwhowalks
2 years ago
968 posts
When I was moving...I found I had too many papers...I didn't even bother to go through it all...I got a plastic bag and dumped it all in...out the door to the garbage. ...that way I overrode any mind chatter about keeping it...lol...I dumped a lot of stuff that way....I just don't think about it...grab a bag and dump...the only thing I kept was my divorce papers...and I REALLY had to talk myself into keeping those. Lol
Cat Whisperer
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
2 years ago
769 posts
Just the opposite. Clutter causes me major distress. It's kinda like too many people talking to you at once....or too many emotions coming in at once. It may just be my perfectionist nature to just have everything in order. Not saying if you like clutter that there is anything wrong with that though.
Visitor
Visitor
@visitor
2 years ago
303 posts

I actually hate clutter. I just find it hard to get rid of.

Cat Whisperer
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
2 years ago
769 posts
Yeh, as soon as I get rid of something, that's when I need it :) lol
Visitor
Visitor
@visitor
2 years ago
303 posts

If I waited until I wasn't depressed, it would be YEARS before I could clean. I'm constantly depressed - unemployed, dog just died too young, untrained empath, whatever. I find it's helpful to turn on some music or the oven timer and spend 20 minutes cleaning. It's amazing how much you can get done if you just stay in motion for 20 minutes.

Karen2
Karen2
@womanwhowalks
2 years ago
968 posts
Actually the timer thing sounds fun...beat the clock cleaning...lol...what a great idea!
Visitor
Visitor
@visitor
2 years ago
303 posts

...and it works!!

Want to reply? Login here

From Our Sponsors

• empath book