Do you let sage burn itself out when smudging negative energy?

To post a reply, login or signup

Gem
@gem
2 years ago
220 posts
I've only smudged twice. Once myself and once my bedroom. Both occasions it died out itself relatively quickly.I've been feeling low/sad so decided to smudge myself and my bedroom. That was half hour ago and it's still smoking. I've got to leave the house in 20mins.It's in an abalone shell. Will it be safe in that while I leave? I'll be gone about an hour or so?Please someone answer if you know xBlessings
updated by @gem: 01/09/17 06:43:47AM
2 years ago
159 posts

I smudge every few months but, I tend to do a walk around, into corners etc then put the sage out

(the smudging is the means - to let burn out is not smudging its engulfing and over powering if that makes sense - there truly is no need to do this and the house, room will be overwhelmed)

I wouldnt leave anything burning anywhere just to be safe.... A little late in responding though lol you are probably back by now?

Gem
@gem
2 years ago
220 posts
Hi, thanks for your reply I'll know for next time lol.Yes I'm back, I put two plates under the abalone shell just in case which I was out. It burnt the whole sage wand by the time I came back and had gone out.I'd read on a few sited you should always let it burn itself out and I've felt very low/heavy so didn't want to do it wrong and nit get the benefits.You're right my room is overpowered by it now..but it does feel calmer.It's difficult when there is so much conflicting info out there!Thanks for your response.BlessingsGem
Gem
@gem
2 years ago
220 posts
Lol did you! Yeah its pretty strong think we'll all be smelling of it for a while haha! I'm glad I know now what to do in future.I had a general anaesthetic on Mon so think my low mood is just to do with the affects of that. I fully intend to have a lovely bubble bath though..and do a bit of drawing/coloring.Blessings and thank you for your kind thoughts :) x
2 years ago
159 posts

I know what you mean, have you tried meditation music?

Sometimes I just lay in the dark listening to calming music or try visualization meditations that take me away from the norm.

A relaxing bath is always lovely esp with a candle as Fancy Girl suggests

Hope your mood lightens :)

Gem
@gem
2 years ago
220 posts
Wow thanks for the info I'll definitely do some recipes including those. It has knocked me sideways. Had a good cry earlier which made me feel a little better.That's very kind of you to send that info. X
Gem
@gem
2 years ago
220 posts
Thanks and yes I've got a bubble bath running now, I plan to do a guided meditation in there.. I find it very soothing to do in the bath makes me feel like any negativity is thoroughly cleansed away.I'm planning on making my own body scuba with essential oils over weekend too if all I need is delivered on time :) x
Michellem
@michellem
2 years ago
9 posts

Hi Gem! I smudge alot because I smudge all my crystals when they're new and periodically when I know they need to be cleansed energetically. Just like karma, I also smudge my home and the corners are really important because stagnant energy really likes to collect there. Now in case you don't know the next couple things I'm going to tell you about smudging I cannot stress how important they are. 1st ALWAYS OPEN A WINDOW WHEN YOU SMUDGE!!!! The negative energy you are releasing needs somewhere to go and you want that to be somewhere far away so out the window it must go!!!! 2nd when you smudge you want to cleanse and get rid of the negative energy first and bring in the positive energy after. You also should say some kind of blessing. When I do my house or my friends apartment I state the following repeatedly while I go through out every room: "I ask that all negativity and lower energies be cleansed from this space and that it be filed with divine love and divine light". When I smudge my crystals I say something similar: "I ask that all negativity and the lower energies be cleansed from this stone/crystal, that it be filled with divine love, work only in light and love and for the highest good of all". I'm just giving those as examples of how you can ask to release the negative and bring in the positive. When you're done you always want to say thank you (I always feel I'm thanking the universe, but you can call on angels and deities or whomever you'd like to help bless what you're smudging. And of course thank them when you're done). Now...i think we need to cover your Pyromania :) ;) when you light sage some people wait a couple seconds for the flames to burn out but then some people wait a couple seconds to make sure the sage has begun to burn and then gently blow out the flame. Just do what resonates with you. Depending on how much sage I'm using sometimes the flames die down quickly and then sometimes the flames are really strong and then I blow them out. When it comes to putting the sage out so it stops smoking you'll read a ton of different things people do, but no matter how you do it YOU MUST ACTUALLY DO IT :) when you are done smudging part of the process is ending it by putting the sage out, however in this case it's the fire hazard it creates by continuing to let it smolder that we're most worried about :) always put it out when you're done. I do what is least recommended and that's running it under a little water to put it out. Dude, it's all good with me so it's simply all good :) but I do also tend to use a small amount of loose sage so it's pretty much all burned out unlike a smudge stick. You could always put it out in the same fashion people put out cigarettes. Some people put it out my smothering it in a bowl of sand....again, do what resonates with you and feels right. But most importantly don't burn your house down ;)

Michellem
@michellem
2 years ago
9 posts

Well thank you very much Fancy Girl :) I'm a wise a-s-s (thought I'd write that in code in case it's considered inappropriate language) :) I'm glad you got a laugh out of my post.....however I don't think lighting fires is anything to joke about. ;)

Michellem
@michellem
2 years ago
9 posts

I hear you. Laughter is nourishing to the soul. So Gem if you read this, I'll give you something to laugh at, even if you're laughing at me, as long as it puts a smile on your face I'll be happy to try and lift your spirits. I know how difficult depression is. But just have faith that not only are we on your side but so are the angels :)

With love and light -Michelle

Fancy Girl I didn't forget about you :) but do you know if Gem Will get notified that she was mentioned in a comment? I hope she sees this!

Gem
@gem
2 years ago
220 posts
Hi Michellem, lol thanks I do appreciate the 101 as I have read so many conflicting things :) I did say a blessing repeatedly and my thank yous. It's good to know it's ok to put it out myself lol. I was truly starting to panic when it just kept smoking and smoking haha! X
Gem
@gem
2 years ago
220 posts
Aww thank you and yes I've woke up and had a laugh reading these comments lol! Pyromania definitely had me laughing out loud.Feeling a bit better than yesterday, think the anesthesia and after affects of my procedure just knocked me back a bit mentally as well as physically. Had a pretty deep counselling session yesterday too which made me emotional.Getting some lovely reiki at home soon though and I always feel better after that!So today I believe will be a better day..with no smoke lol x Blessings
Michellem
@michellem
2 years ago
9 posts

I'm very glad you are feeling better :) that's wonderful to hear :) just wanted to say that I've used an abolone shell before but it really heated up with the sage in it as opposed to holding it over the shell to catch ashes. I don't know if that's happened to you. But it got pretty hot which surprised me cuz so many people use them. Maybe mine was an imposter!!! Like it was a spy for the Shell's Of The Sea organization. I've heard they're nobody to mess with!!!!

:)

Gem
@gem
2 years ago
220 posts
Lol yes they sound like an organisation not to be messed with! I'd imagine they are wanting words with me after my debacle with leaving the sage smoking in it...and you're not kidding the shell was hot hot hot!I shan't make that mistake again lol! :) x
Lavender&rose
@lavenderrose
2 years ago
82 posts

Whoever is saying to let the sage burn itself out is probably selling sage bundles! The directions I follow involve using sea salt. If the bundle doesn't go out of its own accord once I stop blowing on it, and I've finished smudging, I gently butt it out in the seasalt that sits at the bottom of a heavy glass ashtray I use.

I would never leave the house with anything burning, especially something like sage bundles that can produce small embers...

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book