Sick a lot?

To post a reply, login or signup

Sarah
@sarah
2 years ago
386 posts

I'm home sick from work right now. I feel a little discouraged about it. I've been feeling under the weather for about a week now, and I missed another day of work last week because of it. The thing is, I really think it's less about having a virus or whatever, but more about being an empath and the sensitivity that goes with it.

About three and a half weeks ago, I changed jobs. I am a writer from home for my main job, but I need a day job to help with the bills. I was only working out of the house 12-16 hours a week until a few weeks ago. I loved my very part time job, but another position opened at the school where I worked that I knew would be a good fit for me, more hours and more money, so I took it. Since then, I've been a wreck. I've had anxiety like crazy. I've had super deep depression. I've had several sicknesses and can't seem to shake them all the way, and when I'm not at work, I'm having to rest excessively. I haven't had the mental or emotional energy to write either. The thing is, the job is about 30 hours a week--so not even really full time. It's flexible in that I can do some of it from home. The commute is only a mile and a half. It's at a school I love with co workers I love and kids I love. This is not a case of having the wrong job and my spirit protesting. This is something else entirely. It's like my body and soul are so sensitive, that this change has rocked it to the core and I can't cope. I even started seeing a therapist because I was alarmed how hard this transition was for me. Yes, I have had other big life shifts during this new on the job time, too, but my body seems to be reacting out of proportion.

I know it's not unheard of to be sick at lot when a person is first on the job or has other big life changes, with the stress of learning the new position, of working two or three times the hours they are used to working, and being around all those new kids and germs. But this feels different to me. I'm not even sure I'm actually sick, I might just be having some symptoms because of the anxiety of it all.

Are any of you like this. Part of me really hopes I'm not alone in this, but another part of me will feel bad if you all have this issue, too. I just wish I could do what normal non-empath-sensitive people do and just tough it out, but my soul absolutely won't let me.

updated by @sarah: 01/15/17 02:38:24PM
Sarah
@sarah
2 years ago
386 posts

You're probably right. What you said about being bombarded on all sides is probably really true because I could feel it as soon as I read it. Yeah, I'm not very good at resting, even though I think I probably need it more than most people on a daily basis, even when things are fine. I need to let go of this guilt for taking down time. I feel like I'm not allowed, and I guess that's another factor in me being sick a lot.

I had a dream last night that I was breastfeeding bunches of people. Pretty obvious symbolism there that too many people and responsibilities are draining me right now. I better go figure out how I'm going to get some real rest to be able to start getting healthier. Thanks!

Sarah
@sarah
2 years ago
386 posts

I'm sure you're right. My trauma triggers are all activated by getting a new job and leaving my church and I can't seem to be able to handle things--including germs--very well right now. I hope I can go to work tomorrow, we'll see, I'll have to take it as easy as I can, though. Thanksgiving break is next week and I only have two days of work and I'm not cooking Thanksgiving dinner, so hopefully, I'll just spend it resting.

Sarah
@sarah
2 years ago
386 posts

I keep feeling that I need to take Vitamin C lately, but I haven't been listening. I think I'll see if I have some in the house. I know I have zinc. I've not been eating well because of stress and I'm sure that it taxing my system. My stomach is so sensitive and that's where all my stress goes, so I've not been able to eat much fruits and veg because when my stomach is out of sorts, I need bready starchy things that really aren't that nutritious because it's what my stomach can handle. I can't eat much of anything right now, but I can take supplements. I'm going to go right now and see what I already have on hand.

Sarah
@sarah
2 years ago
386 posts

That doesn't surprise me. Almost all my stress goes directly to my stomach. I have anxiety issues and it almost always manifests as feeling sick to my stomach. My poor gut. :) One thing I've found is that keeping the gut bacteria as good by taking probiotics and things like that helps my moods and my anxiety.

I'm not quite well enough to go to the store and now my daughter is really sick, but when I feel up to it, I'll get some Airborne. I hear great things about that stuff.

Also, I have some homemade broth I made myself in the freezer. Maybe later, I'l have some.

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
2 years ago
1,185 posts

Hi Sarah,

I agree with Fancy Girl and am picking up that you need to take as much rest as you can find time for right now. I believe empaths tend to get sick more than less sensitive people.

IME, when you take kids who get the flu and add low resistance to illness due to being bombarded with responsibilities and not enough rest, the result is often Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, not the mild illness it's name implies, but usually a life-long horror show. So, please go easy on yourself.

You have many blessings in jobs that you love. I would hate to see you lose them to chronic illness.

Wishing you health and resilience, from someone who lost it,

C. Cat

Sarah
@sarah
2 years ago
386 posts

Yeah, I really do need to rest as much as I can. I know one of the reasons I have anxiety is because I have gone without taking proper care of myself. I just need more rest and down time that most people--maybe a lot of us empaths do, too. I'm going to rest as best as I can now. Thanks!

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
2 years ago
1,185 posts

AHA! Now that you have added anxiety to your symptoms a light went off in what passes for my brain, and it occurs to me you may have adrenal fatigue. This is a major problem in contemporary society, especially for women. Look it up and see if it fits. If so, there are several nutritional things you can do, along with rest, to greatly help yourself heal. :-)

Sarah
@sarah
2 years ago
386 posts

I have had trouble with my adrenals getting burned out before. I think I even still have some herbal stuff that can help. I can do some energy work for that, too. Yeah, I bet the excess anxiety when I got my new job a few weeks ago, was my adrenals shorting out. I didn't think about that. It's happened before.

Sarah
@sarah
2 years ago
386 posts

I really bet this is it. I couldn't figure out why getting a new job stressed me out so much. It is normal to be stressed about it, but this was way over the top. I still haven't been able to sleep through the night and I got the job a month ago. I get antsy and all off unless I'm moving. I think I'm in that stage two I think it is where it produces too much just before it peeters out. My body is exhausted and running on fumes. Then I resigned from my church which changed everything. I started to crash, but still had too much adrenaline, and working in a school around all those germs, my body didn't stand a chance. Incidentally, one of the best things you can do for adrenal health is take zinc, which was suggested several times here. Actually, just about everything that has been suggested by each comment are things that help adrenals heal.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book