Traps of the online environment

To post a reply, login or signup

Kate
@kate
2 years ago
131 posts

I feel this is a sensible subject for all of us more or less and i seem to find myself in a trap i have been trying to escape from without much success. Going beyond the daily need to access internet for various sources of information though, what do we do when it evolves into obsession and starts destroying our lives more than other drugs such as nicotine or alcohol do?

It is not my case and hopefully will never be, but i have talked with people who admitted that online games and addiction to them has destroyed their lives. It became their free time, and the people they talk to there their only friends.

Interestingly enough, even there certain people asked or said that something about me makes me feel trustworthy, and proceed to tell me about their lives and thoughts or ask personal questions (regarding themselves)... it felt me feel like a good person in a way, but soon i started to realize i was falling into the same direction myself regardless of how clearly i saw my every step and let my curiosity be fed. Well, when i say falling into the same direction i mean basically spending more time than i should and ignoring college homework and the such, which is a big minus for me and probably will prove to be extremely negative if i let it affect me further. And yet it came form a desire to talk with people, see other cultures & so on, since in real life people have become... well, colder than it's the case in my opinion. I could probably try and find many reasons for me spending more time than i should on a mmorpg (had some pretty stressful experiences at a college dorm last year... now it isn't the case anymore, but i guess i searched for ways to distance myself form that environment when i found myself in it. I won't ever and i never indulged into physical pleasures or drugs to escape something, from overeating to smoking, drinking or clubbing. So i guess I chose the mind way), but they are all worthless for it only matters why i can't simply say no and end the vicious circle and need to take it gradually.

And if I thought before that the people obsessed with social medias, that need daily approval and to post pics daily are bad, i guess i found even worse cases of "i now abandon my life except job, and spend all the money i have here". Even when they quit one game, they find the need to go and find a similar one, and it starts again.

And for the people that are more sensible to energies and the such, these environments are so much more than just a little toxic, given the degree of competition and people who do not care for the other one, the "character" wall and not knowing each other in real life making some believe they can abuse other players verbally/or game-wise and escape the moral/actual consequences...

Another interesting category would be the online vampires who need attention or some kind of "online relationship", which is typically satisfied with multiple "partners". While these would make an interesting psychological study, i feel like i deeply resent what is going on and i find them far from positive, even though, i agree, friendships can also be created, and this is a fact. But, more often than not, this happens not on online games, but in places such as forums where people go not to escape reality due to a variety of reasons but to share common interests, hobbies, achievement and dreams for future. Well...

Now the real trap for empaths would be them thinking they are doing good work and helping people. It can be real in a way. And it is, you can help them, and they will essentially be more open in an online environment more than in real life sometimes! Because they'd need a special social context or a psychologist to ask certain questions or present someone your frustration and get a cheerful answer or a new perspective onto the matter. Many will keep away form talking with counsellors for the obvious reasons, starting from shame to thinking they are crazy or not having money to spend on such things.

But helping others means learning to guard yourself, and voiding to involve yourself without having the other one's accord. Thing is you don't go to an online game for these things. You go there to have fun, you don't even think these could actually happen (but yes, they are very real and they do) and thus you risk becoming addicted to the same game you initially went just for fun. Gives you the sense that you balance what you cannot do (yet) in real life (helping people, unconditional acceptance, nullifying the "you are my patient" idea, giving it a sense of spontaneity which makes it flow more easily, in a way.... yea, in a way.) Even though you realize there is another element to it (i.e: you being able to feel the other one's energy or intentions) it still feels like a toxic environment essentially (thinking about certain but very popular games at this point, such as CS:GO).

Again, I am personally trying to distance myself from these places.

We are all a little bit (or a little bit more) crazy deep inside, and different, and yet chase similar ideals, such as love, care, recognition. The road you take is the one that is important, and one should not be ashamed of a slower start in life especially when you were simply born in it.

I wish to hear, from the people that once had to deal with online addictions of any kind, how did they change their environment and get over it? :)

Thanks for reading ^^

updated by @kate: 01/15/17 01:32:45AM
Reckless
@reckless
2 years ago
117 posts
Something may have to happen to change you, at least in my case that rang true.

I can say I once won over an entire server, nearly, not completely. I was f2p all the time, so big spenders pretty much hated me. Paid others to harass me all day, but they failed.

It was one too many updates that I decoded to quit. You know what I mean too. When they add extras for players maxed out on gears and to encourage more spending. I was at their level constantly so I was seen as a hacker. Reported plenty of times, not banned once.

It doesn't stop either. I have mmorpgs on my phone and play them on my free time. I may get sucked in here and there, but it is usually around my free times.

I've been caught on a few dates doing it as well. It sounds like a real problem LOL but it isn't that big. I enjoy games and they entertain me. Once they fail to I may find another when I reach boredom. Boredom is one of the lower levels in a person's vibration that is considered as bad...

In most games I've played I've been back stabbed. Meaning when I trusted others and helped them, they usually turned on me claiming they feared me. Others out of jealousy. The games can become very real. I've even had women chase me in there. I always find it strange that guys are nice to "female" players LOL I usually imagine an older guy in a robe drinking coffee.

There are some simulator games that pay real money. When I was a teen dating this woman in her 40s, she offered me a job in game. I backed down because she told me she was 19-20 but after seeing her on camera she started explaining herself... I was really creeped out. Anyway that was years ago and she was making like 500+ a month. Not much but she plays games...

I know tons of other ways to make money through games, and in sure you do too. Live streaming is one. Players there make thousands per month, some per week.

I don't mind the nerd tag either. In real life people would not even guess or have an idea I would know so much about this subject. I usually surprise people with my deeper knowledge about something. They believe since I look good I have to be dumb. Lol people can be balanced.. I just can't be too good around certain people. Their jealous minds will really put you in a bad situation.
Lulip
@lulip
2 years ago
36 posts

I had played an online game with friends I made when I was around 9, until I was 14. (which I am now.) I recently stopped playing often because of school, and I lost interest in the game. There were times when I was younger, (ages 6 to 8) that I would really love video games. They were completely fascinating to me, and I believe I formed many addictions even at such young ages. However, I grew out of those. And I don't think that those addictions were the type people would form while trying to escape reality. I watched a video on addiction a few days ago, and I think you might be interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao8L-0nSYzg

As stated in the video, addiction stems out of mostly other problems. Based on what you've wrote, I would guess that if that was your case, it would be your abilities that were your "problem", which could be fixed with practice. (basically blocking out negativity)

But it isn't always the "problem addiction." And if you're having issues while trying to quit, going "cold turkey" is never pleasant. I would recommend not quitting completely at first, but slowly adding more balance to your life. For example, making yourself do your homework before you're allowed to open your computer. Maybe try setting time limits for yourself. Surround yourself with friends and family, things that make you happy. That might help separating yourself from the game. If it's a browser game, I think there's some app for chrome that you can install. You can set certain time limits for sites and after the time limit is up, it will kick you off.

Hope that helps!

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book