Being such a sensitive empath, leading to addiction

To post a reply, login or signup

caligrownashley
@caligrownashley
2 years ago
1 posts

Right now, I am struggling with alcohol, and the only reason I drink is because I can't control what or who I read, and I'm always left with negativity.. I try to avoid negative people or situations, leaving myself lonely and closed off anyways, but the negativity is so overwhelming, the only way I'm able to face the world around me is to start drinking.. I see that my drinking is only making things worse, but without anyone around me to help me deal with my sensitivities, I dont really know what to do, or how to even go about figuring this out.. and then there's the whole trying to explain to my partner about being an empath and how it works is damn near impossible.. I cant get my partner to understand that this "gift" affects my emotions, my physical body, my energy level, just about every aspect of my daily life, and i can't do anything about it..

I just want to know if anyone here can relate.....like, at all??

updated by @caligrownashley: 01/12/17 07:26:45AM
Trevor Lewis
@trevor-lewis
2 years ago
272 posts

Hi:

This question seems to come up in one form or another every few weeks here. You are in the right place! You are no longer alone, you are now part of a community that has been where you are! Most of us have struggled with how to tame this gift. Yes, we can relate! If not through struggling with drugs and alcohol, certainly with the challenge of having felt challenged and appearing challenged with our own mental health.

Some reading material for you to get you going...

1. Elise'sEmpath Survival Program.
  2. Donna Eden'sZip Up Technique
  3. theTools for the Empathgroup
  4. Thriving As An Empath - "we suffer as empaths when we are only in receptor mode, we thrive as empaths when we step into healer mode". This technique is my own favorite for reasons that will be obvious when you go there. I personally use this technique every day and many of the people I have shared this with have had a lot of success with the Conduit of Energy contained here. The main principle here is that it is about reversing the flow so that instead of from-them-to-you it becomes from-Source-through-you-to-them. Try it every day for a week (preferably multiple times a day) and you WILL feel different!

For some people being an empath feels like a liability now but it is a gift, an honor and a privilege to have this ability. Enjoy reading the articles.

Blessings,

Trevor

Alexandra
@alexandra
2 years ago
2 posts
Absolutely! I have also struggled with addiction & resorted to isolation in order to cope. & I am still struggling. I feel exhausted to the point where every waking moment takes more energy than I seem to have, &, for the most part, is completely against my will. In fact I don't seem to have any will left right now, just an overwhelming fatigue & no acceptable explanation for it it seems..Despite all of this, & the fact that it has ruled my life for more than half of my existence, I still have this undoubtable sense of surity that it will all amount to something. That it's all about something much greater than myself & it will all make sense in the end.. All I can do for now is keep going & keep trusting & never stop hoping that my time of giving will come.I'm sorry I don't have anything inspiring or uplifting to say right now, but I definitely do understand if that helps at all.All the best.
Visitor
@visitor
2 years ago
303 posts

Oh yes. I have managed to stay off of recreational drugs for most of my life, but now I wonder why. Sometimes I wish I'd just succumbed to an addiction rather than feel this way all the time. But stay strong!

moon
@moon
2 years ago
73 posts

Yes, yes and yes - lol! We humans will do whatever works. We have a system that is composed of several brain structures. They make up the Reward System. Drugs (alcohol is a drug - so is sugar) will hijack this system over time so that you begin to experience your need for the drug on a survival level. Have you ever been a smoker who couldn't smoke? You truly feel like you'll die without a cigarette - that's the reward system. This is the danger with drugs because it happens relatively quickly.

The reason you use alcohol is that it works. It does what you want it to do. The problem is that it promises a whole 'nother set of problems you don't need.

Working with addicts for many years, I can tell you that the answer is to stop using it (with help if you need it) and start identifying and solving the problems that are plaguing you. Do not. I repeat. Do not - beat yourself up for this. This is a human thing and you're a human. It's just a matter of dealing with it, right?

I can promise you that if you follow this simple plan (simple - not easy) put the alcohol down and get help if you need it to deal with the pain - it will work and it can be the best thing that ever happened to you.

All of us (100%) are wounded in our families of origin. This is to different degrees, of course. This is nobody's fault, really, it's the human condition. What I'm trying to say is that most of us have to "unlearn" coping skills we learned in the very specific arena of our early families. They worked then but often they don't work now only we don't know what else to do so we keep trying to use them.

We can unlearn these negative coping skills and learn new ones. Twelve step groups are great for this!

Much luck. Please know that you're not alone.

Word of caution. If you're drinking to the point of blacking out and/or get the shakes when you don't have alcohol, please know that these are signs that you may need help in becoming sober. Alcohol is a dangerous drug to detox from if you are physically addicted. Worse than heroin. Worse than coke. Please get help if you need it. Lots of people are out there to help.

moon
@moon
2 years ago
73 posts

Hey Visitor, so sorry that you are feeling so bad. It seems that the drugs were masking your feelings (they're really good for that). When you get sober they are there again - big, nasty and dripping. Only now they have company. They have a whole new set of friends that they accumulated while you were using - and now you're supposed to be "just fine", right? If you were able to deal with this crap, you wouldn't have gotten addicted, right?

I don't know what you were using, for how long or how long you've been sober. I know that it is a really messed up rocky road in the beginning and most people can't do it alone. I don't know how much support you have but it sounds like you need some.

Have you been to a meeting? What are your feelings on that score? I don't believe that the 12 steps is for everybody but I truly believe that everybody should try it. The usual deal is to try at least six meetings to see if it's for you or not. If you've never been, I can promise you - it's not what you think. Nobody's gonna tell you what to do and you don't have to say a word if you don't want to. Just listening to other people share about what's going on with them helps in some crazy way.

I worked with an artist years ago who was a recovering alcoholic. I asked her if all artists were sensitive and empathic. She said "no" but all alcoholics and addicts are." I think that's true.

I can tell you that many, many people have sat across from me and after all was said and done, they were grateful not only for their recovery but for their addiction. The journey that addiction and recovery can take you on is like none other. You can truly become the person you were meant to be before this world beat you down. You can finally find and BE yourself - no apologies - you can find the strength within that you didn't know was there. You can define yourself by a whole new set of rules. You can wake up in the morning happy. Actually happy and eager to face whatever the day brings. In the program we call it serenity and it beats money, sex, drugs and power by a long shot... Much luck to you, Visitor

Enfp20
@enfp20
2 years ago
24 posts
I have been drinking since 14 years old. I did not do many drugs as a teenager into my early 20's. After an emotional break up, I starting going to a particular underground house music club where ousted mdma/ecstasy every weekend for about 5 years. This phase completely changed me. This is when I was awakened. My social anxiety reduced, I stopped caring what others thought, I allowed my harried emotions to one out.Currently I am using harder drugs, they medicate me, calm me down, allow me focus. I have in this phase of my life for 2 years now. if anyone knew, they would label me an addict. Truthfully, substances help me cope with everyday emotions.
Alledius
@alledius
2 years ago
18 posts

I get what you're saying, except that I don't drink to try to drown out the "noise". I've psychically felt what it's like to be drunk from others and it's awful. You can try shielding yourself, there are loads of sites out there that offer many types of techniques try. You could try using stones. Clear quartz is rather helpful. If none of those help, then you may be like me, one who simply must endure. I shield and it helps but not completely. For the sake of your emotional, psychological, and physical health, you need to stop drinking. Start going to AA meetings if you have to. There are also online support groups you can try.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book