Empath as a Filter

To post a reply, login or signup

Scott Yates
@scott-yates
2 years ago
62 posts

Has the thought crossed anyone's mind that an empath sometimes filters out the negativity from the surrounded energy for those who the empath is near? This thought crossed my mind today actually. My father is bed bound and diagnosed with dementia. So you can imagine the negativity. Anyway, I have had the "Blahs" today and couldn't figure out why. As I sat on the porch communing with nature, I got an overwhelming feeling of negative energy flowing into me and being filtered allowing positive to flow onto my father. I also noticed that my dads dementia got better and his bad attitude was gone.

If this has ever happened to any of you or any of you have personal insight on this, I'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance and God bless.

updated by @scott-yates: 03/12/17 12:18:21PM
Scott Yates
@scott-yates
2 years ago
62 posts
Interesting. I'll definitely look into that to further understand what happened. Thank you.
Lavender&rose
@lavenderrose
2 years ago
82 posts

I'm really confused. I thought this was what empaths DID. To me, it's not in the slightest bit unusual. It's why 'the gift' can be for some of us such a curse...

Rose3
@soralei
2 years ago
49 posts
Really because I do that all the time.Usually right before bed.I thought it was just a normal thing we did.
Scott Yates
@scott-yates
2 years ago
62 posts
I bring this topic up because I've never filtered energy for someone in my years of being an empath. I've always felt what others were feeling and helped accordingly. To actually filter energy for someone is new or maybe I have done it and never noticed until now. Either way, my interest has been raised on this situation.
Dice
@dice
2 years ago
284 posts

Scott,

I think we do many things we are not conscious of. It could be you noticing because of the intensity and your attachment to your father.

I have also come to realize it is probable that this runs in the family. I started to think aboutmy childhood. I believe that, for me, this was passed down.. but eachparenthas/had very different abilities...

Coconut oil has helped many with Alzheimers.Ionly learned about it after.. hope it can benefit youand yours.

Love & Light

Dice

Scott Yates
@scott-yates
2 years ago
62 posts
Thanks dice. I appreciate it very much.
Karen2
@womanwhowalks
2 years ago
783 posts
Hi...I've noticed with the work that I do...that I'm like a huge sponge....I'm in a good mood one minute....then the people start getting on the bus....lol....my mood is constantly changing with each person that comes in....my system doesn't have a chance to clear for the entire day....and I'm usually exhausted by the time I get off the bus...plus...if the person who drove the bus b4 me happened to be in a bad mood...I can tell instantly....instant mood switch...one woman I picked up...was in a pretty bad mood...I happened to be 4 minutes late...which in the grand scheme of things isn't such a big deal....the 1st words out of her mouth were not pleasant...and the energy that flew from her to me was pretty big and heavy....right in my face it flew....it took almost 6 hours for that to start to recede even with my pocket full of ceder....and I was exhausted...had to call in sick the next day....i'm trying to manage this by selling a couple of days of my work during my 2 longest weeks...so i can have an extra day to recover from the over load....but sometimes it doesn't work that way...lol...i can only assume i inherited these abilities from my biological parents...but my adopted mother does show signs of having empathic abilities and isn't aware of it...anyway...my dad has also been diagnosed with early stage alzheimers...they have him on b12 shots...and doing memory exercises....it runs in his side of the family...so we weren't really surprised....
Scott Yates
@scott-yates
2 years ago
62 posts
You've just described the last week of my life...lol.
Karen2
@womanwhowalks
2 years ago
783 posts

Lol....

Karen2
@womanwhowalks
2 years ago
783 posts

Another thing I noticed is that they always seem lighter after transfering that energy to me...and I feel heavier....sometimes I don't think it's quite fair...lol...

Lavender&rose
@lavenderrose
2 years ago
82 posts

Ah, I see - feeling what others are feeling and helping accordingly. Yes. I think that may be what many people think the empath thing is all about, and that maybe explains why they call it a gift, as it is a gift for both parties when it is something like that.

If you'd been doing this and not noticing, I'd think you would have become quite unwell by now.

Anyway, my experience is older people can suck up quite a lot of energy, inadvertently, because they need it.

My empath experience is nearly always as a filter or a giant sponge for the physical and emotional distress of others, and then I have to process their stuff out of me (exhausting) or I am simply left as you were (exhausted and drained).

Scott Yates
@scott-yates
2 years ago
62 posts
I agree. Its hard to deal with at times but after seeing the results of this filtration, I'd do it agai for sure.
Scott Yates
@scott-yates
2 years ago
62 posts
I was one of those people who thought empathic abilities were to feel/know others feelings and then help them through their issues. This filtration took me by surprise. New levels to the gift I guess. I will always look at this as a gift because I can help others no matter what I have to go through. That's just me though...lol
Leafherder
@leafherder
2 years ago
35 posts
Oh, yes. I came to this concept for myself several years ago. I had been feeling more and more "cloudy" emotionally and mentally, and it was starting to affect me physically. My office had moved a little closer to the city, into a renovated former psychiatric hospital, and my coworkers started coming to me more frequently with personal dramas because I was a good listener. A couple of coworkers told me how much more calm and at ease they felt after being around me. I was glad to help, especially since I was feeling so sluggish and useless, otherwise. I started meditating out of desperation to find if I had an internal explanation for the change in how I felt, and what you described about filtering is exactly my answer. I felt I was moving energy from the ambient area back to the earth, turning it back to grounding energy whenever I used my technique to turn dark into light - meditation, making people laugh, or any of the fine arts work - the rest of the time the energy clung to me and was making me dull. I specialized in dance and found it very effective for me (if inconvenient); it moves the emotions and gets them out of my body. My whole family is into the arts, particularly music, and it is a need like food.
Scott Yates
@scott-yates
2 years ago
62 posts
I've always meditated. Never thought of using the arts or activities you love doing to cleanse your energy. Very helpful. Thank you.
Lavender&rose
@lavenderrose
2 years ago
82 posts

Well, you've only had one fairly mild experience of it! Doubt it's going to ravage your life therefore.

I thought that bit where one knows other's feelings and tried to help them was just being empathetic, myself. That, with a bit of codependency thrown in, in many cases.

Leafherder
@leafherder
2 years ago
35 posts
Yes - every bit helps. I myself have yet to make a concerted effort at meditating regularly. When I do so sporadically, it is tremendously informative, and I understand that regular meditation can connect you to a source of energy that will keep you from getting depleted so fast. I took a shortcut to that and sought a Reiki attunement when my grandfather got cancer. That connection helped soften the edges of the pain (for both of us) and gave greater depth to the good moments. I hope you get that experience, too.
Scott Yates
@scott-yates
last year
62 posts

In my situation, I turned the negative energy into positive energy by realizing that I just helped my father in his last days. Seeing this as a good thing and something special is what made the change.

To process negativity out, I goto a place that is quiet and where I feel tranquility and positive energy. There I meditate to expel the unwanted energy and fill up on positive energy.

Scott Yates
@scott-yates
last year
62 posts

I experienced his frustration and confusion; felt his anger. This lasted about a week before I realized what was happening and guarded against it.

Goodenergyhealing
@goodenergyhealing
last year
373 posts

I understand it more as mainly energy (healing) resistances, energy attention seeking, or (negative) energies trying to use us as a channel out (they just want to go home, back into the Light) - feel free to peruse my blog about it.

http://empathcommunity.eliselebeau.com/profiles/blogs/my-empath-experiences-and-empath-tools-for-healing

Dementia is a sucker. Been sending regular distant healing to my dad for 6 years, initially 1pw, now 3-4*pw. He is not too bad yet, but it has not stopped the progress of it, or reversed it either.

Love and Light!

moon
@moon
last year
73 posts

Yes, according to some, we have a purpose in transmuting and grounding the energy around us. A good book on this subject is: The Reluctant Empath by Bety Comerford and Steve Wilson. Apparently, all this shielding we've been doing only serves in keeping energy stuck to us. We should be allowing it to pass through us without judgment or adding our own energy to it. We are also supposed to stay gronded to the earth...

Lavender&rose
@lavenderrose
last year
82 posts

I think this is a thoughtful review of that book:

http://www.greenheartguidance.com/blog/review-of-the-reluctant-empath

moon
@moon
last year
73 posts

Well, speaking for myself and only myself, shielding by whichever means has never worked for me.

Lavender&rose
@lavenderrose
last year
82 posts

I thought it was an interesting review. I wasn't suggesting you or anyone else should shield, or give up shielding, or anything else. I didn't think the review said that either!

moon
@moon
last year
73 posts

Sorry. Wasn't suggesting that you were. I believe everyone must find their own way.

The concept of not shielding came as such a revelation to me after years of frustration with white light and bubbles and visualizations of all kinds of protective devices.

I believe that decades of "fighting" the energy caused my chronic autoimmune diseases. I am paying a mighty price now for my ignorance. It is my fervent wish that other, younger people who are dealing with similar scenarios learn that there is a whole other philosophy and perhaps an energetic purpose for having these empathic gifts.

The article is very interesting and certainly points to a need for learning, understanding and sharing these concepts which I wholeheartedly agree with.

Thanks for posting the link. Blessings..

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book