Antidepression / anti anxiety meds blocking abilites?

To post a reply, login or signup

Carrieanne
@carrieanne
2 years ago
5 posts

Hi everyone, I am new here. In fact, until super recently, I had no idea there was a name or term for how I had felt my whole life! It is really comforting to know that I am not crazy, or "over-emotional" as many people have labeled me. I am just figuring things out in terms of what I feel in other people or animals, and how to nurture my abilities, while keeping balanced and sane :)

Here is a question for you all, I have been taking SSRI, antianxiety meds on and off for my whole life basically. Right now I take 120 mg of Cymbalta. It does make things toned down so that it is easier for me to deal with. But it also numbs me, and I wonder if it plays a part in inhibiting my abilities? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks so much in advance!

updated by @carrieanne: 01/11/17 03:58:46PM
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
2 years ago
726 posts
I have also taken antidepressants (Elavil) for 20+ years. The reason I was put on it in the first place was because of my abilities. I didn't know this at the time but in hindsight I do. I was apparently picking up very toxic emotions at my workplace and knowing that I was being set up to get fired by my coworkers. Btw, I did get fired, it was not in my head after all (but we all know this). The Doctor of course labeled it as depression/paranoia and put me on a very high dose of this medicine. It did numb the feelings coming in but they still came in. Hence, why I have been in it so long. The information coming in was "turned down" so to speak. However, since I have become aware of being an empath and knowing that all of these negative emotions are not mine I have been able to wean myself off of the meds. The problem with taking them for so many years is that my body had become dependent on it. I would get a sort of flu feeling if I missed a dose. But now I am only taking 20mg every other day vs. 200mg for years. My abilities have been a lot clearer since majorly reducing the meds. I hope to get off this and stay away from the Drs. I feel sooooo much better since realizing that the depression was just my reaction to all of the incoming emotions that were not mine all along. Now I have found much healthier ways of dealing with the empathness. Hopefully you can too. Hope you will not have to take them long.Shine on....
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
2 years ago
726 posts
Side note, now I take it more for sleep than anything else. I have trouble sleeping and it does help with that. Again, I feel that it was because I was on it for so many years that my body was addicted to it. The manufacturers suggests not taking it for extended periods of time but try telling a doctor that. If I have offended any doctors on here I apologize in advance. I have not had good dealings with Drs, they all think I'm nuts.
MintyEmpathy
@mintyempathy
2 years ago
157 posts
I never was scared of being different or overly.emotional it's nothing bad
Carrieanne
@carrieanne
2 years ago
5 posts

Thank you Cat! I too am beginning to wean myself off the meds. Taking it little by little as my body also is very addicted since I have been on them for so long. I am trying to replace the meds with meditation and yoga. We'll see how it goes! I appreciate your response and thank you! Great to hear you are feeling so much better :)

Carrieanne
@carrieanne
2 years ago
5 posts

True, we aren't all as confident, or in my case I did not even know there was such a thing as an empath! We are all figuring out ourselves as we go! But good for you for not feeling bad or guilty for who you are!!

Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
2 years ago
726 posts
Meditation helps immensely. Also, check out the Empath Survival Guide on this site, also there is a lot of good resources here to help with being an imbalanced empath. Sending love and light your way. You will get better as you progress ;)

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book