Antidepression / anti anxiety meds blocking abilites?

Carrieanne
Carrieanne
@carrieanne
3 years ago
5 posts

Hi everyone, I am new here. In fact, until super recently, I had no idea there was a name or term for how I had felt my whole life! It is really comforting to know that I am not crazy, or "over-emotional" as many people have labeled me. I am just figuring things out in terms of what I feel in other people or animals, and how to nurture my abilities, while keeping balanced and sane :)

Here is a question for you all, I have been taking SSRI, antianxiety meds on and off for my whole life basically. Right now I take 120 mg of Cymbalta. It does make things toned down so that it is easier for me to deal with. But it also numbs me, and I wonder if it plays a part in inhibiting my abilities? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks so much in advance!

updated by @carrieanne: 01/18/18 02:21:35PM
Cat Whisperer
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
3 years ago
758 posts
I have also taken antidepressants (Elavil) for 20+ years. The reason I was put on it in the first place was because of my abilities. I didn't know this at the time but in hindsight I do. I was apparently picking up very toxic emotions at my workplace and knowing that I was being set up to get fired by my coworkers. Btw, I did get fired, it was not in my head after all (but we all know this). The Doctor of course labeled it as depression/paranoia and put me on a very high dose of this medicine. It did numb the feelings coming in but they still came in. Hence, why I have been in it so long. The information coming in was "turned down" so to speak. However, since I have become aware of being an empath and knowing that all of these negative emotions are not mine I have been able to wean myself off of the meds. The problem with taking them for so many years is that my body had become dependent on it. I would get a sort of flu feeling if I missed a dose. But now I am only taking 20mg every other day vs. 200mg for years. My abilities have been a lot clearer since majorly reducing the meds. I hope to get off this and stay away from the Drs. I feel sooooo much better since realizing that the depression was just my reaction to all of the incoming emotions that were not mine all along. Now I have found much healthier ways of dealing with the empathness. Hopefully you can too. Hope you will not have to take them long.Shine on....
Cat Whisperer
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
3 years ago
758 posts
Side note, now I take it more for sleep than anything else. I have trouble sleeping and it does help with that. Again, I feel that it was because I was on it for so many years that my body was addicted to it. The manufacturers suggests not taking it for extended periods of time but try telling a doctor that. If I have offended any doctors on here I apologize in advance. I have not had good dealings with Drs, they all think I'm nuts.
Carrieanne
Carrieanne
@carrieanne
3 years ago
5 posts

Thank you Cat! I too am beginning to wean myself off the meds. Taking it little by little as my body also is very addicted since I have been on them for so long. I am trying to replace the meds with meditation and yoga. We'll see how it goes! I appreciate your response and thank you! Great to hear you are feeling so much better :)

Carrieanne
Carrieanne
@carrieanne
3 years ago
5 posts

True, we aren't all as confident, or in my case I did not even know there was such a thing as an empath! We are all figuring out ourselves as we go! But good for you for not feeling bad or guilty for who you are!!

Cat Whisperer
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
3 years ago
758 posts
Meditation helps immensely. Also, check out the Empath Survival Guide on this site, also there is a lot of good resources here to help with being an imbalanced empath. Sending love and light your way. You will get better as you progress ;)

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book