How to connect?

To post a reply, login or signup

Alison
@alison
2 years ago
71 posts

I've been reading some of the discussions on here with interest. I'm interested when people talk of connecting with angels, guides, etc ... this is something I've never really been able to do, not for the want of trying. So I'm wondering how do people connect with spirit?

I have health problems which prevent me from quietening my mind so meditation is difficult. I don't have some of the experiences some people talk about... in fact, maybe some of you could enlighten me, what actually happens when you connect with your angels or whomever? How does it work? How do you experience that communication?

I tend to have very 'low key' experiences eg I occasionally have significant dreams or I'll dream about someone I haven't seen for years and then meet them the next day. This makes me think I'm dipping in and out of my spiritual connection so it is there but I'd really like to strengthen it but don't know how. I'm guessing I need to pay more attention to these things that happen and trust that they're part of something bigger rather than just seeing them as weird, individual incidents. But that's another question ... how do you trust in something you're not sure of? Do you trust first or do you have to experience something first to make you trust?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks :-)

updated by @alison: 01/21/17 04:43:04PM
Pat-Starbridge
@pat-starbridge
2 years ago
437 posts

First up, there are those who have major life changing experiences with spirit; however, spirit works with us at every moment and tends to be quiet, so you can't judge your experiences with another person's. I read lots of accounts and I think, I would like to have that - but I don't. It doesn't mean I'm not in contact with spirit, it's just not as technicolor as other people's.

The thing that pops out at me, is your comment that you can't meditate. However, this is the door that opens up the conversation with spirit. What we are simply doing is shifting our brain waves. Let me give you an example that happens to all of us. Say you can't find something - a piece of paper or your keys. So you turn the house upside down and you're just focused on finding the lost item. Finally, you give up and go do something that requires little thought - take a shower, rake leaves, go for a walk and suddenly - the thought pops in your head, "they're in the car" or you can see in your mind where the item is.

What happens is when we quiet the left brain that's continually chatting; our intuitive side opens up, that's the side that connects with guides and angels. That's why meditation is important. But it's not necessarily about trying to meditate for hours and have some deep spiritual encounter. Meditation is simply moving the brain waves from beta (our everyday thought process) to alpha which is a more relaxed state. It's the state before you go to sleep, it's receptive and not focused on anything specific.

So meditation can be a quiet walk, or just listening to relaxing music; anything to move you into the alpha state.

To your other question; when you ask for information or help from your guides or angels, you may get the information coming in by that receptive alpha state "where something pops into your head" or you may receive information in other ways. Some of us use oracle cards or the pendulum to open up that intuitive side. Then there is the communication that goes on all around us. People complain that they never get "signs' from spirit and yet, signs are all around. A passing comment heard on the street or something said on tv, or a book that falls off the shelf right in front of you. It's about learning to be open to receiving information.

Trust is built up by experience. Whatever information you receive, remember that it is always for the highest good and is never threatening or frightening. Sometimes people think that they have messages from spirit but they are fearful messages or to boost the person's ego - this isn't the guides or angels. The information is always calm and loving.

Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
2 years ago
726 posts
Not sure with your health problems, but what I have found that helps me with meditation is "hemi-sync" cds. These are listened to through headphones and connects the brain waves between the left and right side in the brain.
Goodenergyhealing
@goodenergyhealing
2 years ago
373 posts

I was very zealous the first few years of my spiritual journey - I meditated and prayed a lot! After a while I managed to communicate with voices in my head - but the information was not always accurate, nor helpful. (Not much has changed in that regard over the years, but I have become better of identifying the crap information)

Overall it has been the accumulation of experiences over the years, especially now a few years of working as a masseur and healer - feeling something when channeling healing regularly, clients reporting my hands get hot at times, etc. It took (10+) years to loose attacks of - 'What if I am just imagining it all?'; 'Am I just wasting my time with all this meditation?' ; 'Am I deluding myself, and potentially my clients?', etc. A cynic might say that by making major life decisions because of my spirituality and having built my income on it now, I have no choice but to believe in it. I have brainwashed myself into my delusions..... That is fine - I have had enough positive and otherwise unexplainable experiences on my journey. It took years to collect them though - so I would never expect anyone to blindly trust! I have learned too that staying grounded in esoteric matters is important too. There is a lot of mis-information in thee esoteric field too. Even being all psychic is no guarantee that one does not get brainwashed by a guru or falls for delusions created by not so benevolent spiritual entities. I have witnessed such frequently....

But to your original question - I connect, by asking the good forces out there - The Divine (or I call it Ultimate Good!) to connect to me. I do not know where e.g. the angels live, but I trust they can find me always.
Ones I am connected/ hooked up - I just let the energies flow - and I ask for perfect healings, cleansings, protections and recharges for myself, my bodies and my life. The energies know what to do and where to go, we just have to let them. It does not matter if you can 'switch off' during that process or not. It is a bit like taking a shower - once you turn on the water on, you'll get clean - regardless of whether you think about the water or your shopping list.... Some meditations might be nice and calming, then you might have some again where you are all over the place, or just fall asleep - the is not wrong ones,... If we use the shower analogy again - it will be most effective and pleasant if done somewhat regularly....With each meditation you'll cleanse out accumulated negative and stale energies - like stresses, fears, anger etc. - so over time your mind should become clearer, more fine-tuned and more receptive automatically. I still pick up new interfering stuff every day, but nowadays say cleansing out my main chakras is a much quicker process than it used to be....

There is one guided meditation that I can recommend whole-heartedly: https://archive.org/details/VisitTheAngelsGuidedMeditation It rarely fails to at least put me in a calmer and safer state....

Good luck with your journey! Just ask for all the divine guidance, protections and healings you require to live a happy, healthy and fulfilled life and the Divine will deliver (It might just take a while until it becomes palpable - so ask for plenty of patience too ;))

Alison
@alison
2 years ago
71 posts

Thanks, this is really helpful.

Pat Starbridge - yes you're right, meditation can be done lots of ways. I needed reminding of that. I struggle with grounding but one of the best ways I find is doing some housework or something practical that really absorbs me and switches my mind off. I am aware that I get answers to questions/things popping into my headbut it's all a bit random and easy to put down to coincidence. I think I need to start writing things down so I can join things up a bit. I'm also aware I get ideas as I'm waking up in the morning.l I need to start monitoring these too so I can see if they are helping me. Thanks.

Only yesterday I was in a shop and got really annoyed because somebody jumped in front of me in the queue. Straight after that I went to the library and a book I picked up opened at a page about dealing with anger and the example they used was queue jumping!

Cat Whisperer - I'll look into those CDs thanks although I've tried so many different things (music, guided mediation, chanting, didgeridoo!) and can't seem to stick to anything.

Good energy - yes, I think I need to 'collect experiences' in order to build trust. I guess that's what I'm talking about above. I like the fact this feels like 'practical spirituality' - I do find a lot of stuff is airy fairy to me.

How do you know when you are connected or hooked up? Your shower analogy is very interesting. I've always thought it's hard work to maintain a connection (exhausting) but you're saying it's not the case - just know it's there. I like the analogies you use in your posts - they really help to illustrate your point. Keep using them!!

Tracie
@tracie
2 years ago
16 posts

If you find conventional meditation difficult then something like Tai Chi or Qigong might be easier for you as both are 'moving meditations'. Mindfulness in which you give your attention fully to what you are doing/ experiencing in the moment is a useful practise too. Any of these (and there are others I haven't mentioned) help to quiet the incessant chatter of the mind.

For the record, in my experience, everyone finds meditation difficult at first. If you manage 2 minutes the first time then that's a great result. It takes practise and gets easier the more you practise.

Dunno if you've heard of the book 'I had a black dog'? It's a book about depression. I recently bought my other half another book in the series- 'Quiet the mind' by Matthew Johnstone. It's about meditation but written for people with depression who have notoriously busy minds.

Just a few ideas in case they are useful :-)

Goodenergyhealing
@goodenergyhealing
2 years ago
373 posts

Originally I learned the feeling of being connected through 'handing over'. A bit like EFT one can use a simple prayer to get rid of negative emotions/ thoughts/ believes etc.. E.g. if you feel angry just say - "I hand over this anger and whatever is connected with it to Creation, and I thank Creation that it takes it off me and rehabilitates it/them as necessary. - Amen' (you can say dispose or recycle instead of rehabilitate, but I believe everything is alive and intrinsically good, so a rehabilitated anger energy will turn back into Love or Happiness). When you have said that prayer you might notice that you start to breath deeply and most times (unless am energy is very big and enmeshed) you'll feel a relieve after a while as the negative energy disappears. When I learned this tool I got all zealous about it. I'd sit down for hours handing over everything negative in my being and life I could think of. I'd breath so much 2 or 3 times I started to cramp and hyperventilate - BUT it really blasted through and opened up my Hara (the Lightpillar inside your core - running from your crown down, and out between your legs). My consciousness and awareness was pretty much mostly inside the Hara. It felt/ feels just so 'right' - I just could not deny it! It is the same feeling I get now when I go into 'healing-mode' i.e. ask to be connected and start channeling energy for myself or someone/ something else.

You can also try to become aware of your Soul Star. The Soul Star is 2 finger width above your belly button, inside your abdomen. The Soul Star is likely the mot holy part of us and when I manage to link into it - I can usually feel the Oneness of all to a degree....

There is more info about the Hara and Soul Star on a blog post of mine - http://www.alexander-king.com/blog-1/2014/11/28/the-anatomy-of-the-human-energy-bodies-chakras-aura-kundalini-hara-and-soul-star

Yes, it helps to keep ones awareness on a connection, but even if one cannot feel it anymore, I believe it is there. Actually when I e.g. connect to healthy Earth energies to ground - the Earth energies are going to be by far larger and more powerful than me. For them to connect to me and stay connected is going to be much easier than if I try to control it all. If I do not feel a connection anymore that should be there I just understand it as some pesky energy trying to disconcert me and in a way numbing me. There is some indirect proof that I am right - when giving a healing massage to a client for 2 hours, I rarely think about my connection - I might even chat with a client, but they still at times remark that my hands are getting really hot, without me particularly concentrating on the healing when it happens.....

Alison
@alison
2 years ago
71 posts

Thanks for the suggestions, Tracie :-)

Alison
@alison
2 years ago
71 posts

Thanks for your reply and for the link. I like the idea of handing things over. I realise that I try to control things, make sure the connection is notbroken, wonder which chakra to work on,etc - it all becomes a bit stressful. It never occurred to me that I just need to open up and let the energy do the work as and where it's needed. I will try this. I think mystuff is very big and enmeshed (though maybe it's not helpful to think that) but I guess just practising handing over as a new habit is a positive step.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Karen2
@womanwhowalks
2 years ago
783 posts
I don't think you have to do much....except ask.....all the preparation that we're told or taught is NOT always necessary....spirit guides and angels....are born with us....so are not that far away.....it's recognizing the connection that Is difficult at times.....and spirit is either quick to respond....or not. ....doesn't mean they don't answer. Because I am audience.....I hear more answers than feel or see .. anyway...be living they're there is what important....
Dice
@dice
2 years ago
284 posts

Hi Alison,

I am not sure that they are not trying... however we all have different ways of receiving and interpreting the information we are given. It can be something you would not recognize many times...

I often image mine with a wine bottle just to cope...

But I guess what I need to tell you from my experience is that when I was younger.. I heard differently than I do now. The trick is to ask them to help you "hear". Whether you like what you hear... well.. that is a different story!

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book