Introduction: I'm not 100% sure if I'm an empath, but I need to find healing.

To post a reply, login or signup

Sarah3
@sarah3
2 years ago
9 posts
I just signed up for this site because I need help and not many understand. I'm an artist in so many forms, and my artistic friends admit they are highly sensitive, which I am too, but this last year it's taken on a new leaf.First off, I have to plan ahead and mentally prepare myself around large crowds of people. All the different energies tend to overwhelm me. I often feel suffocated by people who are enduring troubles because their energy impacts my emotions and tires me out. I need a lot of down time. I often pick up on negative energies and my intuition tells me to run, or not get too close.The first inclination I had was when I was a child and some neighborhood bullies were taunting this young black girl who was maybe 6 years old, for the color of her skin. I was about 7, or in second grade. I screamed at them to leave her alone and even pushed one of the bullies away from her and told them I was getting an adult to come handle them and they took off. I helped the young girl as they tied one of her braids to a wire fence. I was in tears for her. My heart pained me for what she had just endured and that pain stuck with me for years. After that occurrence, I found myself pained by other people's problems, even if they weren't spoke of.Im 31 years old today. The last few years I've become really attuned to people's suffering by their body language, or by things they weren't saying, or the energy they were emitting, or even by the look in their eyes. People always come to me because I relate to their pains and have compassion, empathy, and don't judge. They always feel better afterwards, but I always thought most ppl were like that. Then sometimes I find myself drawn to people for no reason and I'll strike a conversation with them to find out they are very troubled and feel alone.I've been single for over two years now as my last relationship devastated me so deeply I wasn't ready to even start dating again until the last 6 months. I have 6 years sober in recovery, and I met someone in recovery recently, and we really clicked. He's a musician an artist like myself. We talked and took things slowly for a month, never engaged in intimacy physically. He admitted to being highly sensitive too and I caught on to that right away as he was so nervous around me the first few times we hung out. Things started heavily on an emotional level but something switched. He started getting really nervous around me again like he was in the beginning, and he stopped letting me in, but at the same time didn't want to let me go. That was difficult for me. I noticed he has anxiety at times if I didn't respond to his text within a few hours, and he worried a lot, and then he changed. Prior to him becoming guarded, I started having anxiety for no known reason since everything to me was fine. It just appeared out of the blue. Then he changed, and I knew something wasn't right but I had to break off contact with him before I started taking things personal. He didn't want to let go but confessed he's having trouble with self love and was very unhappy. It was weird since he came on so fast which happens often with men. It's been sometime since we haven't talked, but I've been feeling this horrible pain inside. It's not like we ever built anything together or had much invested as it was short lived. I started feeling self doubt. Then last week I had a dream he relapsed from our recovery program. A few days prior I started having pain in my abdomen out of the blue, went to the doctors and found nothing wrong. Then two days ago I found out that he in fact did relapse, and is also having surgery for a hernia in his abdomen that I never knew about. I wonder too since he did relapse, that my self doubt and feelings of inferiority, were ones of his own and not mine. I've never been the type to date much, yet feel so emotionally connected to someone I didn't even get passed the physical intimacy stage with. I just liked him as we shared a lot in common being artist, and two highly sensitive ppl. He shut down recently I heard and deleted me from social media and deactivated all his accounts and was avoiding ppl. That's where I'm at now because I'm so plagued with pain and sadness, not even aware of what feelings are even my own. I need to expel his energy or do something to get past this. I can go about my day and responsibilities, but the pain is there, and it's making me ill. I've dealt with bouts of depression in the past when I lost my best friend and grandmother to death, but never over something like this. Like I said, picking up others emotions and feelings has been something that's really started to afflict me in the last year. I need guidance and healing. I need to learn to differentiate what feelings are actually mine, or of someone else's. Any pointers in the right direction would help.
updated by @sarah3: 02/19/17 07:20:47AM
TigerLily
@tigerlily
2 years ago
309 posts
I know completely what you are going through. Message me.
Sarah3
@sarah3
2 years ago
9 posts
Thank you. I very much appreciate that and I will definitely look into the resources. My doctor is trying to tell me it's depression or bipolar and that I need mood stabilizers to control the sensitive central nervous system. I've never been a manic person or have done anything psychotic. I'm not promiscuous or have impulsive behaviors but he wants me on medications even though I'm so self aware and have done a lot of cognitive behavioral therapy but he said I'm bipolar because of my inability to suffer immensely and for long periods due to loss so it's confusing.
Sarah3
@sarah3
2 years ago
9 posts
Thank you! I will subscribe and tune it!
Sarah3
@sarah3
2 years ago
9 posts
I'm really trying to embrace it. But my psychiatrist things it's a mental health issue even though I'm so self aware and cognizant.
Sarah3
@sarah3
2 years ago
9 posts
I prefer not to talk meds, but he is treating me like it's a bad thing or that it's normal or it's all made up in our minds and is used as a justification. :/
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
2 years ago
726 posts
Most doctors I have found want to medicate everything that they do not understand or can't relate to. They immediately think you have mental issues, when all it is is trying to deal with all of the negative energy coming in from the outside. Try finding a holistic doctor....or one that at least has an open mind. Get a second opinion. I am finally off all of the meds since I have figured out that there was nothing wrong with me in the first place, it is just learning to deal with all of the outside energy. Good luck!
careyleefarnsworth
@careyleefarnsworth
2 years ago
58 posts

Nobody who is not empath as we are will not understand what you feel. I feel others emotions all through my body from head to toes.

Sarah3
@sarah3
2 years ago
9 posts
I totally believe it. Bipolar is so mixed diagnosed. My godmother is a Neuro psychiatrist and she gets outraged over so many exaggerated, misdiagnoses. The only reason I had to go see the psychiatrist is because I do in fact have ADD. No denying that. Lol. My teachers in college are frustrated with it because every 45 minutes I need to step out and get fresh air because I'm overwhelmed sometimes so the school wanted a note. Well my doctor asked me why I stopped taking antidepressants a year ago and I told him it's because I'm an artist. I paint, I fire glass, im a ceramicist, I do metal fabrication, and I play guitar. That all stems from my ability to feel. When I'm in those meds, my feelings are minimal and I noticed a change in my work.Now, a good friend of mine who has a masters in botany open up a few kava-kava bars in the neighborhood. He treats everything holistically. Kava is a root found in the Hawaiian islands and Fijian islands etc.. It calms anxiety, and it a very MILD natural MAOI inhibitor, as well as a good source of fiber and natural diuretic. I quit the antidepressants after a few years consuming them cold turkey, and had no relapse or side effects of depression until lately, but it's only situational. Life is pain. Just ask Jimmy Morison. Sometimes we just need to embrace it. Now kava has a reverse tolerance effect, so the more occasions you drink it, the less you need. It eases my anxiety completely. Plus it does give you a mild relaxed little buzz. It has so many health benefits too. There's been a lot of incorrect info online saying it's bad on the liver. That's only the case if you buy bad kava where the company is manufacturing the entire bush, when in fact you only should be using the root. To boot, it's helped me lose a few pounds. My buddy that owns the kava bars travels the world for the highest quality kava, has it lab tested every week and makes the info readily available, and distributes his bran to about 80% of bars in the business. I haven't drank alcohol or have done any drugs in 6 years. Kava is very mild but does help with my anxiety. Much better than prescription meds. If anyone would like info about it, message me. I get a great discount. Be careful as their are foreign brands that are utilizing all parts of the plant to cut cost, which can cause damage. The root is what contains the kava lactones that benefits your health. :)
Sarah3
@sarah3
2 years ago
9 posts
Wow thank you. I'll be watching it in just a moment. I'm very grateful. Thank you for not criticizing or judging.
Sarah3
@sarah3
2 years ago
9 posts
Thank you! I do have a regular doctor. I just to seek this doctor to get a little for my college professors declaring I do have ADD so they'd leave me alone. I'm 31 years old and getting scolded for having to leave class for 4 minutes because I get so overwhelmed.NOW.. Anyone in the sacramento or placer county area, I've found a really good empath "counselor". We met for the first time Monday and got carried away for hours. It's funny but he's actually being a great friend lol. He said my level of self awareness and of those around me is absolutely mind blowing. He didn't believe that I didn't just start embracing the idea since February. Great counselor and they have great classes too! If anyone is in the Sacramento area, let's plan a meetup! I have spare bedrooms! Hehe.
Sarah3
@sarah3
2 years ago
9 posts
So true. But thanks to you guys, I finally had courage to bring it up to one of my artsy friends since I'm surrounded by artist all day long. One of my gf's replied with "I tried telling you that years ago", while others were like excited to admit they are too. We should have a workshop in my area. We need more resources poorly! If anyone with experience is interested, I'd gladly coordinate. Summer school has left me a litter not entertained. I'm great at coordinating evens and you'll have a free place to stay. :)

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book