Emotional testing

To post a reply, login or signup

Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
2 years ago
726 posts
How can I test to determine whether I am feeling an outside emotion or my own emotion? Sometimes I can tell, but other times I cannot.
updated by @cat-whisperer: 10/24/17 11:37:26AM
Spiritual_light
@spiritual-light
2 years ago
3 posts
Hello,

I completely understand your situation as I have been experiencing this problem myself. As Empaths though, this is a normal thing. We do tend to struggle with distinguishing between what emotions belong to us and what emotions belong to others. This is simply because we are so in touch with other people and their feelings that we tend to neglect our own needs and desires. Many of us unintentionally focus the majority of our energy upon others, causing us to then feel confused as to what we are feeling. When we have the ability to literally feel what others are feeling, this can really confuse us and lead to a combination of emotions such as distress, anger and sadness. The best thing to do to determine whether you are feeling an outside emotion or your own emotion, is to first take a few deep breaths. By focussing on your breathing, you are already beginning to focus in your energy to yourself and your inner feelings. Be aware of each breath you take and as you do this, ask yourself, (in your mind/out loud) what I am feeling right now? Imagine you are the only one in the room at the time and you have nothing else to focus on but yourself. It is just you and only you. Hopefully after re-focussing your energy into your own body, it should be easier for you to then tap into your inner feelings and work out exactly what emotion you are experiencing. Best wishes always.

Spiritual_light
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
2 years ago
726 posts
Thank you so much. I will try that.
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
2 years ago
726 posts
Thank you, the hard part is that I pick up on emotions from long distances which makes it rather challenging. Then I am not only trying to figure out my vs others but also who's feelings I am picking up. I do take stock of my emotions quite frequently but sometimes it is fuzzy.
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
2 years ago
726 posts
I pick up emotions from a long distance so sometimes I am also trying to figure out who's emotions are coming in.
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
2 years ago
726 posts
I don't ever "try". It just happens. That is why it is hard to sort out. Not hormones, too old for that. I will sit and take stock in my emotions like Gazing mentions, but, sometimes it feels so much like my own. I have just discovered that I am awakening. I have been like this all my life but have finally found out why my past has been so full of anxiety, depression and the like. It all makes sense now. I have in the past picked up info from others to discover that the person (I was able to identify that time) was starting to go through a divorce. Another time I predicted that something very bad was going to happen to someone if they didn't avoid a certain person (long story) that person didn't listen to my warning and ended up being shot by police. This happens even though I am not around these people at the time. If they would be in my proximity it would make it a lot easier to tell whose emotions I was picking up.
Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
2 years ago
726 posts
Long distance as in I'm in my house, they would be in theirs. Yes, it is normally someone I know. Some of the people I know don't have FB. Thanks.
Chay
@chay
2 years ago
82 posts

This is great! Thank you. I will think about how I normally feel (which is happy ... I am so fortunate) and I know it is another person's emotion. I am getting better at it. I recall suddenly becoming angry at work. Thoughts of my sister popped in my mind. (You know that little voice that isn't exactly a voice, but not exactly your own thoughts?) Anyway, I digress, I called my twin and asked her if she was okay. She was very angry. Not something she usually does. My twin is 600 miles away. When she feels extreme emotions I get them. Personally, it is okay because she is my twin and maybe she needs help. I am just really relieved that I do not pick up any intimacy experiences she is having with her husband. Not quite sure how I would handle that one. Eewww!

Chay
@chay
2 years ago
82 posts

Good thinking. Thank you. I will get a bad feeling and know something is wrong with my family. I start making phone calls. Sometimes I know exactly who it is, but other times I do not. I would rather know. Once, I never want to feel it again, I felt impending doom. It was horrible. I called my family. Everyone was fine. Exactly one week later my nephew was killed in an accident. Next time I will be better prepared, but I really do not know anything I could have done about it.

Ecila
@ecila
2 years ago
898 posts

That's a good question. I do as Spiritual Light describes above with the breathing then imagine all that is not mine falling off of me and evaporating.

Cat Whisperer
@cat-whisperer
2 years ago
726 posts
Thank you Kross, that sounds like a good plan. I have in the past questioned my own emotions and as I think back, it did help. If all is right in my world, it must not be mine.
Clay
@clay
2 years ago
2 posts
Empathy makes you feel others emotions so it's in a sense the same thing. But you have to recognize this emotions in others to have empathy in the first place so I'd start figuring out if you're responding to these emotions.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book