updated by @reckless: 12/28/17 06:17:54PM
My personal perspective:
1) Don't "look" without permission
2) If you do "look" without permission, don't tell
3) Stand up for who you are but ...
4) Don't confuse people who don't understand
5) Recognize that there are people out there who come off as varying shades of weird/crazy. Avoid adding one more to their numbers.
6) Recognize that balancing 3 4 and 5 is a challenge!
Only the ignorant are frightened of what they don't understand. That being said, some people are not ready for the truth. Some things are better kept to yourself until the time is right. As an empath you will know who it is safe to share with and who it is not. As for myself, I opt for not sharing 99 percent of the time. Not that I don't long to share. I just don't feel most of the people in my life right now would understand or would one day use it against me.
I think that people fear what they don't understand. Both history and fiction has shown that any leap in evolution is met with fear and the desire to wipe out the ones who are different/unique. Is is wrong to protect our secret when they give us no reason to believe they will accept us? Everything out there says they won't. Better to err on the side of caution then the other option.