Am I an empath or just oversenstive?

To post a reply, login or signup

Schemz
@schemz
2 years ago
4 posts

Hello , thank you for accepting me here. I would like to ask .

Back then before I usually get psychic attacks from a family member. As a growing up girl I tried my best to be a good daughter, struggling my way between school works and housetasks. With mistakes I did out of personal choices I made back then out of taking chances, I get endless curses. And everytime the emotions of that person are intense, I get so overwhelmed and felt beaten down although no physical impact was done.

There are also times when I can feel a certain emotion for a particular person. I have this friend from college who i always feel energized when he's around. He is a jovial and hi spirited person. There are people who i don't feel comfortable with even when they are not yet doing anything wrong. Then in the long run it turned that they are not the people worth keeping friends for.

Can anyone tell me if I'm being oversensitive and paranoid? Or this is being empath?

Thank you for any thoughts you might share...

Love

Shemz

updated by @schemz: 01/17/17 02:44:19AM
Umar
@umar
2 years ago
72 posts

Hi Schemz and welcome :)

In my opinion: regarding your question, does it matter? I don't think so. The label doesn't change a single thing about who are you today at all. If you experience the world a certain way, it doesn't matter if you are doing it the right or the wrong "way" or in a means aligned with a particular label. Reflect on yourself and your experiences. If there are things you wish to change, start seeking resources; if there are things you want to explore, do it; if you want to feel accepted, be open and honest with yourself and others to allow acceptance into your life. "Empath" is a label that cannot define you, because you are your own special unique person <3 :)

Emotional experience is on a spectrum: some people are very hypersensitive and some people just have some of Mamma's Intuition -I am of the opinion that all people are empaths, the difference is some of us can use the skills better. For example, we can all hold a drawing utensil and draw a puppy, but with practice using that skill, some people can draw a puppy very well. If you align with the label of empath and that makes you feel good, then you have every right to use it without needing permission from anyone else :) I sincerely hope this comment puts your mind at ease <3

Schemz
@schemz
2 years ago
4 posts

Thank You UmarsFins ^_^

Visitor
@visitor
2 years ago
303 posts

You're not "oversensitive". You're just sensitive, which means you're normal and healthy.

It sounds like people have alwaysexpected you to be a certain way, and didn't stop to ask you what you wanted out of life. If you try to live up to other people's expectations it's almost guaranteed to make you feel depressed and like afailure.

It's difficult to break away from people who try to control you, especially if it's your family. Try this book "Self-Care for the Self-Aware" by Dave Markowitz. It's helped me a lot.

Umar
@umar
2 years ago
72 posts

You are most welcome. I sincerely hope it helped you :)

Schemz
@schemz
2 years ago
4 posts
Thank you ^_^
Schemz
@schemz
2 years ago
4 posts

Thank you. Wow I've also heard of the Lightworkers and they are awesome <3

Regards,

Shemz