Hello I would like to introduce myself.

To post a reply, login or signup

angelwhisp
@angelwhisp
2 years ago
4 posts

Hello I would like to introduce myself as an empath who has just discovered that I am an empath. I joined this forum about a week ago and I have not been able to pluck up the courage to speak until now.

I have been reading all your interesting posts sat in the background, finding them fascinating. I only discovered that I was an empath because I have been seeing a counsellor who says i'm an empath and she gave me an article highlighting the most common traits of being an empath. I was amazed at just how many of these traits I have and I also felt a great sense of relief to discover who I really am after all of these years.

I have put a lot of my symptoms down to the anxiety I have over the years but I have always been affected by other peoples energies and I can process other peoples feelings and energy I can also feel and take on the emotions of other people. I don't know if this happens to other people, but if i have a conversation with someone that is trying to give me information or ask a question I don't always seem to have listened and heard what that person or person's said. I seem to filter out what they are talking out and I seem to start to read them and their emotions and I can pick up on their thoughts, moods & desires. I then feel foolish because I haven't heard a word they've said and I end up asking them what they said and they look at me as if i'm stupid. It also happens when i'm watching a tv programme, i start reading the person and before I know it I don't even know the story line and I end up asking someone what has happened. I was wondering if this happens to anyone else?

I tend to bottle up my emotions and I find it hard to trust anyone fully to be able to talk about how I feel.

I am also sometimes a bit reclusive in that I sometimes prefer my own company. During my life I have found it hard to have a true friend and I always feel that people seem to want to avoid me as a true friend and run a mile from me. Inside i feel that they know that I can read them and see through them which makes them take a wide berth from me. I'm not sure if I am giving off vibes to others to stay away or if they see me as some sort of threat or something. I would appreciate it if someone could give me advice about how i'm feeling. Thanks for reading this post.

updated by @angelwhisp: 10/23/17 02:15:13PM
Kithor
@kithor
2 years ago
17 posts

For many years and even still I confuse anxiety with energy or vice versa. I confuse other people's emotions particularly frustration and anxiety as sometimes my own. I thought I had attention-deficit because I was so easily distracted, but yet in reading people and situations I could be hyper focused. I'm not one to make or care for many friends. Usually I can feel something about someone that just leaves me feeling uncomfortable especially people that have certain traits like the inability to ever admit failure. When I'm in crowds of people or even just normally I tend to keep my eyes away from others. I'm not quite sure if it's because it can cut down on me reading people or if I think that one of them will see in mine what I can do.

You're certainly not alone if that makes it any easier. My advice is be careful with what you have, but don't try to contain it and stifle it. It makes the anxiety much worse. Just try to maintain self awareness because if you are already this far in understanding what's going on within you, then you are on your way to living more comfortably with it.

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
2 years ago
1,185 posts

Welcome angelwhisp!

I would like to recommend that you check out The Empath Survival program, which you will find in the upper left hand corner of the Home Page here, under Elise's picture. There is a lot of help there for these type of problems. Before I knew I was an empath, I became physically ill from absorbing other's feelings, and sometimes still have to tell someone that their bad mood is making me a nervous wreck. I am no longer timid about saying so, lol!

The Dial-down technique seems like it would be very helpful with what you and Lynda are experiencing, and there are other things you can try as well. If things like that don't help, you will probably need to learn how to shield, and I would suggest a good shield to Kithor as well. There are many techniques for shielding, some on this site, many in YouTube videos, and you will need to find one that fits you. You may want to join the Tools for Empaths group.

I am exposed to a lot of people like Kithor mentioned, ones who never admit their failures, and those are their good qualities, lol. As a result, I have to clear my aura, clear and align my chakras and then shutter all but my base and crown chakras, ground myself, and then put up a strong shield. I do this daily before getting out of bed. It sounds like a lot to do, but only takes maybe 3 minutes. I also wear crystals that make me feel more loving toward others, like clear or rose quartz when I go out in public, but you may find other stones work better for you, depending on how what you pick up usually makes you feel. Many wear black tourmaline for extra shielding protection.

You're now in a place where you can find friends who understand you, and how being overwhelmed with stimulation can cause a retreat from others. We've all been there! :-)

angelwhisp
@angelwhisp
2 years ago
4 posts
Thank you everyone for your replies and advice which I will look into more. Thank you Karmalee for the friend request it means a lot to me and it's an inspiration to know I'm ni longer alone. You all seem such lovely compassionate people and I feel lucky to be part of your community. In reply to your post Tshidi, my counsellor is also an empath so she picked up on the traits I have. She says she would never have suggested that I was an empath if she didn't believe I had the traits. I have just started training In Reiki as my counsellor said I could channel my energy through this discipline. I find it fascinating and very therapeutic and I have now decided to take up training to treat people with Reiki. I work as a nurse and this would be of great benefit to my patients and family and friends and more so to treat myself. I would recommend it to anyone. Does anyone else practice this type of discipline where you channel universal energy? Thanks & enjoy your day everyone :-)
OutOfTheShadows
@outoftheshadows
2 years ago
10 posts

Welcome! I'm new here, too, but since this is an empath community, I think it's safe to say you're in the right place.

I can relate to you not listening. I am the same way with not observing people. I have been seeing the same counselor almost once a week for about seven years, but I couldn't tell you what they look like. I also often have no idea what people are wearing, if they wear glasses, if they have a beard, or if they wore that same outfit the day before. It just doesn't register with me.

It's not that we're stupid -- we're just paying attention to other things. As far as I'm concerned, they're much more interesting things, anyway.

born vego/ born empath
@born-vego-born-empath
2 years ago
8 posts
Welcome. I get it. I'm also newly awakened it.is.a.beautiful time for.me., and you. Reiki works I had it.as.a child and. It worked.cause I'm very open.and.receptive. I wonder how.well it works on those who are.true sceptics. Also relate.to all the rest. Recently decided.to study naturopathy.
angelwhisp
@angelwhisp
2 years ago
4 posts

Hello and thanks for the welcome, what is naturopathy it sounds very interesting? I've only had a couple of Reiki treatments with my counsellor and i've started doing self treatments. I have been quite surprised at the benefits that it has gave me so far as regards to healing my body. I've also felt a lot calmer and less anxious since doing the treatments and my mind hasn't been working overtime. It's interesting to read similar stories from people who physically absorb other people's feelings.

I have quite a lot to learn and i'm glad that I am in the right place now among lovely people, who can give me advice and help me understand what being an empath is all about. :-)

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book