Word or Phrase

To post a reply, login or signup

Femonique
@femonique
2 years ago
62 posts
I was thinking and noticed, not too long ago, that there are certain words and phrases I say more to others than I hear from others. I suppose we all have "catch phrases" or even remarks we use to express ourselves and who we are. Just wondering if anyone would care to share what theirs are, or even if you've noticed such a thing.Mine are, "I understand". And sometimes, with those I know n spend more time with, "I understand. Don't I always?". Another is, "I am grateful" or "Thank you" which is actually coming close to being said as often, or even more so than, "I understand."I ponder upon some things these days, that I never really did or maybe take the time to do so before, but do wanna know if others think about the same and what they come up with.Please share, if ya will. I understand if you prefer not to, but would be grateful if you would.... '-)LOL
updated by @femonique: 10/19/17 04:39:11AM
Scott Yates
@scott-yates
2 years ago
62 posts

I have 3 I use all the time. "Jackass", "It happens", and "Accept it, Embrace it, and Let it go".

Emmy Long
@emmy-long
2 years ago
484 posts
I have noticed one quirk in the way that I speak compared to others. If somebody asks me how something went I will usually respond "good" or "not good" but I almost never say "bad". I avoid using words with a negative connotation like "bad, stupid, mean" and instead will use a positive word like "not good, not very smart, not nice". With a few exceptions, I'm generally an optimistic person and I think that reflects in my speech.
Femonique
@femonique
2 years ago
62 posts
Seems there's lotsa reasons more are using positive words. I learned this in a psyche class years ago, about how we do not process negative words.1.) Negativity doesnt work Literally Our subconcious brain cant handle itThe other thing about negativity is that our brains cant process negative words according to the latest studies. So when we hear phrase like dont smoke or dont touch that, our subconscious skips over these negative words and simply hears smoke or touch that. Our conscious mind can obviously process these words, but its the subconscious that makes a lot of our decisions without us realizing.For young children, this can often be an issue because they havent learned to use their conscious minds to process those negative words and take control of the subconscious to make sure they follow instructions correctly. Its no surprise why children decide that way if you look at the split between conscious and subconscious mind according to psychology.Here's the link to that onfo, if anyone is interested to know more....https://blog.bufferapp.com/how-be-more-positive-to-build-a-habit-of-positivity-for-better-emotional-and-physical-health
Emmy Long
@emmy-long
2 years ago
484 posts
As a psych major specializing in positive psychology, reading this will probably be my favorite thing I do today. :) I can't believe I haven't ever learned that before. This information actually goes really well with the theme of my senior capstone project and if you know of any empirical sources relating to the same thing, I'd love it if you could send them my way!
Femonique
@femonique
2 years ago
62 posts
Sending positive thoughts your way....Not sure you can avoid that word for the rest of your life, Emmy. So....Give it no power and it has none. The quicker the better, hon.Look for a new supportive phrase. All will be well? A new door will open? Or, come up with something uplifting on your own.....might be therapeutic for you.
Femonique
@femonique
2 years ago
62 posts
LOL. I see that word a lot. Myself, I don't curse, but know most do and I don't judge, just prefer not around me. Personal preference and all. I too say, "I do the best I can with what I got." I rarely say I am sorry, but do say, "I apologize", when I make a mistake. I tell others I'm sending positive thoughts and well wishes, or something else more upbeat sounding. I used to say I'm so sorry when I knew of another's pains or woes, but it sorta made it easier for me to stop saying that and use something that feels more positive. Selfish that I am. LOL However, when you've had others drag ya down for so long and not understand that's what it was or who you were, or even why you're the one they choose, then ya gotta do what ya gotta do to protect yourself, ya know?
DemiPanda
@demipanda
last year
69 posts
I often say "It's the way I am, love it, hate it, I AM it." or sometimes it'll end in "I could care less." because I truly don't find peoples negative emotions towards me worth while even though I can't help FEELING it bc I'm an empath. I'm getting good at approaching problems in ways that focus on solutions. I also have recently built upon a long time habit of mine where I literally wave away any unsatisfactory thoughts or problematic airs with my hand as if to say "No more of that." and expell it from existence, now when I do it, it seems kind of unconciously dramatic, lol, I close my eyes and turn away, lifting my chin as if it's just a bothersome set-back and then I wave it away with two to three slow deliberate movements of my hand, this action is often accompanied by a "Oh well." or a "Yada yada." which is a japanese phrase that dismisses an idea. I've also gotten into the habit of saying "How trivial." when I overthink a small problem. or "Mendokusai." which is a japanese term meaning basically "How bothersome/troublesome." when I come across a setback. I also say, "Get it, got it, good." and I have a ton of strange terminology I use to express myself as I'm a relatively very energetic and present person. One of these terms that I say the most would probably be...."Holy shizzlebits."
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
last year
1,185 posts

I say "Your vibe attracts your tribe" a lot, which I stole from Ralph Smart, a psychologist.

I say "yep", "yeah", and "yikes"! a lot too, a dead giveaway to what part of the U.S, I am from, lol.

I use the word "glad" a lot more than most people, instead of saying I am happy you had a nice day, happy you passed a test, got a clean bill of health,etc., I am always glad.

When frustrated I often say "Jesus Christ on a bicycle". Or, I will say "I'm gobsmacked", a word I love which I got from a British friend.

I will tell people "I am praying for your highest and best good", since what we want is not always what is best for us.

Empath-wise, I use "Not mine and not worth it" and chant it until I calm down, when I start to feel other people's dramas.

Cheshire Cat

Rosie333
@rosie333
last year
20 posts

Dear Femonique,

A vocabulary using 'I understand' and 'I am grateful' is a great way of opening people's hearts, I like it!

Something I have found extremely helpful for me has been to say to myself (often aloud when no one is there) 'Can you believe it!' When things goes wrong or people have hurt me or treated me unfairly. This helps me to move from hurt to humour, like being incredulous that people could even contemplate or even conceive of behaving in such a way , as in this is so ridiculous it's funny! And then when things go wrong 'can you believe it!'

helps me to laugh at Murphys law (if things can go wrong they usually do!) This helps me a lot to turn frustration, hurt and anger into their antagonists, humour lightening up any situation.

Light and love to all R

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book