Since there's been so much talk...

Emmy Long
Emmy Long
@emmy-long
3 years ago
486 posts
It seems to be the consensus, and I agree, that empaths are easily targeted by narrcicists. Do you think these people know what we are, beyond just that we are compassionate and understanding? I say this because I never tell anyone what I am. It feels like it's bragging or something (even though im convinced everyone COULD do it). But they always know anyways. They are always the first to say "hey I can do that too" after they start asking questions and I explain. But they are usually the last person I think of when I think of empathizing and kindness. Like I said, I truly believe everyone is capable of it, but that doesn't mean I think everyone does it. Though the world might be better off if we all did.Anyways, does anyone else ever feel some people claim to be empaths but are actually narrcicists in disguise, wanting to find another way to secretly tell you what you feel and how you should feel?
updated by @emmy-long: 09/07/18 12:34:58AM
Emmy Long
Emmy Long
@emmy-long
3 years ago
486 posts
Hey door: it wouldn't let me post the reply under your post but I do think I understood most of what you were saying. I suppose I just assume compassion comes with empathy because that's how it worked for me, and I couldn't imagine it any other way. It does make sense though how you put it. So do you think that these narcissistic people are coming to me because I give them the ego boost they are looking for? Because I'll admit that in trying not to be mean or insensitive to anyone, I most likely do give them this boost.
Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
3 years ago
1,330 posts

Hi MA,

Great article....I sent it to a few people. Thanks!

Visitor
Visitor
@visitor
3 years ago
303 posts

I don't think narcissists think about anybody but themselves. So I don't think they target us, but since we're more willing to listen and sympathize, they tend to hang around us a little too long.

There are narcissistic empaths, and evil empaths, and abusive empaths. Empathy is a talent, not a character trait. It's how you use your gift that counts.

Emmy Long
Emmy Long
@emmy-long
3 years ago
486 posts
Yes! That is how I meant to explain it but couldn't find the words. Like sociopaths love the idea of being empathic because of the "say so" they think it gives gen. And I also have the same problem of understanding a persons heart and still falling for their tricks. I think maybe it's because even bad people have SOME good in them and that's always what I look for. At least that's what I telling myself. :)
Emmy Long
Emmy Long
@emmy-long
3 years ago
486 posts
Pat: I'm still young and learning. Haha. Unfortunately I still think people are all good and some may say my mind is TOO open. But I'm currently going through a situation where I'm learning otherwise. Not with a teacher but just about people in general. Funny how life interlaps.

Want to reply? Login here

From Our Sponsors

• empath book