Empath versus HSP

To post a reply, login or signup

Nea
@nea
2 years ago
201 posts

I thought this might be interesting for people that like me sometimes have a hard time accepting the Empath term. This article delves into the differences between HSP and Empaths.

http://thehappysensitive.com/being-empathic-versus-being-empath-crucial-differences/

Personally I believe I am both HSP and Empath - what do you guys identify with and what differences do you feel there is between the two?

I recently have looked more into the HSP label, and found that for me, it's been an area my knowledge have been lacking in.

Here's another article about the subject: http://www.rose-rosetree.com/blog/2011/08/21/empaths-hsp-psychopath-inspired-quiz-highly-sensitive-person/

updated by @nea: 10/20/17 06:09:12PM
Nea
@nea
2 years ago
201 posts

I dunno, I think HSP as a concept is easier to understand and accept coming from what we've been taught growing up. I think many Empaths tend to have problem accepting that what they are sensing in others is not just 'in their heads', as they were taught growing up. As changes in world view goes, the empath concept is not as accepted as a scientific truth - while HSP is an accepted psychological term. Psychology is already on the 'murky' side of science, and Empathy certainly has ways to go before being accepted, despite the discovery of mirror neurons etc.

I do believe there are Empaths that aren't HSP, but they are as rare as Empaths themselves are among the HSP.

I have known for sometime now that I definitely am HSP, but not all of what I go through can be explained by that alone, so the article I posted is definitely one of the things that will help me understand myself more.

(although I inherently become suspicious of sites that charge for knowledge in these areas, it doesn't mean they aren't genuine in this instance)

Nea
@nea
2 years ago
201 posts

It's interesting, because I grew up in a Christian home, but also in a very scientific-loving society, and while my Christian upbringing also actually made me more open to the energetic world - the scientific part of me also doubt my abilities at least equally as the spiritual one. For me both world views plays a part, both in accepting and in doubting. It's definitely complicated.

Nea
@nea
2 years ago
201 posts

Thank you! It's something I've been thinking alot of myself, so I thought it would be interesting to others aswell. I'm glad. :)

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book