Anybody get freaked out by hospitals and doctors' offices?

To post a reply, login or signup

Visitor
@visitor
2 years ago
303 posts

I'm pretty healthy and usually don't have to worry about this too much, but now desperately I'm looking for a job, and I have to avoid medical jobs b/c I'm an empath.

Does anybody know of a way to deal with the despair and depression that medical environments bring, or should I just avoid hospital jobs?

Help.

updated by @visitor: 03/30/17 01:12:44AM
Sarah
@sarah
2 years ago
386 posts

I have that trouble, too. I get so stressed out at doctor's offices and hospitals because I can feel all the distress and sick and sadness. It's totally overwhelming to me. I often have to take an anxiety rescue med just to go to a doctor appointment.

Gin S
@gin-s
2 years ago
225 posts

I get antsy at the doctors office but it is hospitals and dental offices that really get me. I'm not sure if it is just anxiety or if it is all the energy from so many machines. I will see spots, have trouble breathing, I get woozy and can't concentrate. If it was me I would not be able to even consider a job in that industry. I wish I had some help for you. All I can tell you is to really think about each place first. Try to imagine yourself working there. If it is a smaller office it might not be so bad. Good luck on your job search.

RyuukoGo
@ryuukogo
2 years ago
110 posts

I literally turn off my emotions...at the dentist I start to fall asleep when my teeth are cleaned as well as not use novacane when my teeth are drilled.....the coping skills we have are odd...but to us its normal.

Crownite
@crownite
2 years ago
107 posts

I'm a registered nurse who's also an empath that works in a hospital (a level 1 trauma hospital in an urban setting too so it's VERY busy, the people are often VERY sick and many times the families can be VERY rude). Honestly, working in this environment was the best thing for me because I learned to toughen up and set real boundaries for myself. It actually helped me to overcome my panic attacks/anxiety (I use to get them every day or night before work) and helped eliminate my depression. I knew I was a strong person, but I didn't know how strong until I worked here.

Are you trained to be a healthcare professional? I can't see why finding a job that isn't healthcare related would be impossible. Even if you are a healthcare professional, you could find work selling medical supplies (which is sales mostly), or do something administrative. There's also the world of business. There's so many paths to take in this world (especially if you're from a first world nation). You just have to figure out what you want to do.

Visitor
@visitor
2 years ago
303 posts

Thanks for your replies, everyone. I have worked in a small medical office, from which I was fired after a few months. I'm not trained in the medical field. The patients were mostly old, sick and/or dying, scared, and miserable. The technicians were unsupportive and catty, for the most part, but the whole environment sucked because everyone was overworked and underpaid.

I realize not all medical environments are that bad, but you've convinced me to look elsewhere for a job. It will take years to build up a tough skin and I'm already middle-aged.

Crownite
@crownite
2 years ago
107 posts
Hey visitor, when you start applying, set a goal in terms of self improvement. It took me a year with an intention of toughening up and learning how to cope to get there really good at it. When you set the intention, when challenges come it's easier to remind yourself what you're doing and to perceive it as a performance builder. Middle aged isn't old. You got this.
Visitor
@visitor
2 years ago
303 posts

Hi Queen - I do get this. It's a crossroads for me. Time to stop working for the man and concentrate on doing what I like.

Visitor
@visitor
2 years ago
303 posts

I absorb the feelings of the sick people visiting the clinic and hospital. I don't realize it at the time, but later on I realize that I have feelings of despair and hopelessness that have nothing to do with my life, but that I probably picked up from sick people or their families.

Visitor
@visitor
2 years ago
303 posts

I don't think I explained myself clearly. I'm just looking for a job - any job - and a lot of the ones out there are in the medical field. I just need a paycheck.

Being an empath, I pick up vibes from sick, scared patients. So I think I need to avoid a job in a medical office. I try to keep my options open, because jobs are scarce, but I think I need to avoid that field.

Crownite
@crownite
2 years ago
107 posts

visitor, I think the people who have the hardest time finding a job at those who want to do something specific. There's a lot of options in terms of jobs. Fast food, libraries, restaurants, clothing departments, administrative assistant if you have really good typing skills and word processing skills. There's a lot of options to choose from. :)

Would you be open to working in a business setting? Maybe sign up with a temp agency and do a bit of temp work. The great thing about that is that you don't have to stay in one place for very long. If the environment is toxic, it's only transitory. I use to do that in college during the summer because I was bored and wanted to make money.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book