Chiron: The Wounded Healer

To post a reply, login or signup

Christina Rogers
@christina-rogers
2 years ago
30 posts

How many of you have heard of the story/concept of Chiron? The Centaur from Greece.

"The myth of Chiron tells the story of

how the centaur was wounded by an arrow from Heracles bow.
Chiron does not die; instead, he suffers excruciating pain for
the rest of his life. It was because of his wound that Chiron became
known as a legendary healer in ancient Greece."

Only recently was I given and name/face for this phenomenon that Iknew was why my life is always so much more dramatic than any of those around me.

But...can we become healers if we have not been wounded? It would seem that most healers have experienced great pain and suffering and are here to help others release their pain and create balance. The 'wounds' - of many lifetimes need to heal.... This is the spiritual pulse of the world grid.

But what happens when the Wounded Healer is healed and has had enough drama with healing? It is then they are shown the truth behind the illusion of reality.

Who is The Wounded Healer? Many articles and books have been written about 'The Wounded Healer.' It is the person who has gone through suffering, sometimes great, and as a result of that process has become a source of great wisdom, healing power and inspiration for others. In fact, the archetypal wounded healer undergoes a transformation as a result of their wound, their suffering and pain. They can actually transcend it, and successfully lead themselves to a path of service. It is as if the wound itself helps you drive yourself to an inner journey that becomes the transformation itself. One strips away the selfish, ego-based feeling of being all alone in our wound and expands to see others and how if one chooses a different role, one can help.

The Wounded Healer is often the Victim - He who must suffer the wounds of life to understand. Do you set yourself up to be a victim?

What do you think? Are we all this way to become the healers? I feel we are. I think we're on our way too ;)

The Journey of the Wounded Healer by Alex Grey

http://www.crystalinks.com/woundedhealer.html

http://www.jungatlanta.com/articles/fall12-wounded-healer.pdf

updated by @christina-rogers: 07/21/17 02:16:19AM
Pat-Starbridge
@pat-starbridge
2 years ago
437 posts

This is just an aside but I had to check the link from the first quote that Chiron becomes a legendary healer because of the wound. In most of the stories of Chiron - he was immortal and was already known as a healer and teacher before he was wounded.

I get what you're saying. The "wounded healer" was coined by Carl Jung when he noticed how many psycho-analysts had similar trauma to those of their patients. I'm not sure how Chiron got into this whole thing but it creates the idea that the wound came before the healer phase, whereas, Chiron was already a healer before the wound.

Some use the term "wounded healer" to refer to healers who can't heal themselves. This happens, where others around the healer will be healed by his/her energy but the healer can't heal him/herself. And this is where the term really applies to Chiron. Even though he was immortal he couldn't deal with the pain so he gave up his immortality, became human so he could die and end the suffering.

Christina Rogers
@christina-rogers
2 years ago
30 posts
I actually know all this, but the concept I was trying to convey remains. I also encourage others to always do research.Too many people join these groups/communities as dependent victims, and they never do any research of their own.One person responded to a discussion about book sharing. What happened to radical self-reliance?
Pat-Starbridge
@pat-starbridge
2 years ago
437 posts

I understood the concept, the wounded healer type has been around. Just the first quote was way off. Glad you were aware of it.

Pat-Starbridge
@pat-starbridge
2 years ago
437 posts

Sorry, the concept of knowingly using inaccurate info as the basis of a discussion, is foreign to me - but that's my reality.

I agree that people rely on others for help without doing their own research. In this day of internet and with so many books and online articles, it doesn't make sense; why not take the initiative and spend some time learning to assist one's emotional and spiritual growth.

I wasn't sure if you were joking in your last sentence. After reading your reply, I checked and found your post of December (I take it, that is the one you are referring to.) It's a very impressive list and an excellent resource for others. From the people that I regularly chat with on this site, I would say that they are avid readers of such material and are always looking for new material. Usually, book suggestions just come up naturally in the course of various posts.

As you are aware, sometimes posts just don't receive attention, there is an odd ebb and flow to discussions and some things get missed. It's not a comment on the material of the post, nor on the members, it just happens. Also, your post was during the holidays and the EC has been very quiet. Many regulars haven't been contributing for several weeks. I suspect that this is both due to the holidays but also many are more reflective and less willing to join in. As we go through these intense transitions on the planet, it does effect people in many ways.

Speaking for myself, I had a very large collection of books. I think I spent most of my life surrounded by books. In addition to my other interests, my library of spiritual and metaphysical subjects was broad and this was pre e-book days. However, I never bothered to make a list until I had to sell and donate most of them as I had to move and couldn't take them with me. So, for me, it's no an issue of radical self reliance - I'm just lazy and don't make lists.

Paul
@paul
2 years ago
916 posts

I read somewhere that of all the atlantis created forms the centaurs were deemed worthy to carry a soul. So if one decided to aid mankind by becoming a healer, so much the better.

Christina Rogers
@christina-rogers
2 years ago
30 posts
Ah! Yes thank you! Very great perspective. You're right, but I DID (sorry, no italics on phone) include a link to the Carl Jung PDF where the author discusses the history of the term etc. Should I move that to the top you think?
Pat-Starbridge
@pat-starbridge
2 years ago
437 posts

I think if you plan to publish this blog on other sites, it might be helpful. The thing is you have a strong argument but it was weakened by the first quote from the author. She isn't the first person I've read who has altered that myth so it's floating out there. The Carl Jung quote is stronger and also, it's an idea that's far more recognized. Also, you could always just keep that first quote by stating that "here's a more recent interpretation of the myth - or one author's viewpoint.

I do think that you have a topic that is one that needs to be put out there. The story of Chiron is still important to the discussion. For Chiron, as the wounded healer could not heal himself. This is something that energy healers deal with, I include myself here. I can help others but there are many things that I can't heal in myself. I also like Chiron because he comes across as such a sympathetic character and almost Chirst-like. One version of his story states that when he chose to become mortal and die, he took the place of Prometheus to save him and thus, gave his own death, meaning.

Anyway, the whole topic of the purpose of suffering and is there a reason for it is an excellent topic and certainly worth further exploration.

Christina Rogers
@christina-rogers
2 years ago
30 posts

Thank you very much for the help! I am very new at this and I very much appreciate the guidance/suggestion.

Christina Rogers
@christina-rogers
2 years ago
30 posts

That is beautiful

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book