What's your favourite Christmas tradition?

Retrogirl
Retrogirl
@retrogirl
9 years ago
317 posts
Unfortunately, I can't do mine anymore because I live in Nova Scotia, and I left all my friends & family behind! Also unfortunately, it's very rare that I miss them! But, we used to have a family tradition that we'd go over to our neighbour's house Christmas Eve. These people have become like family to us. I realized when I left how much I loved that tradition. It had a strange beginning because it started out as us waiting for their Dad. They were more or less separated as he would go on business trips that got longer & longer until he only visited a few days out of the year. Their mom had a hard time letting go, and would badger him into agreeing to visit Christmas Eve. She refused to go anywhere in case he showed up, so we went over there, and he never showed up. Maybe once. But, it became a tradition that I grew very fond of. Disfunctional as they are, I miss them more than my own family, who are plenty disfunctional, but we just look better on the surface I guess. Well, if you made it to the end of my little self-indulgent story, thanks for reading!What do you remember fondly about Christmas?
updated by @retrogirl: 01/22/17 12:17:34PM
Roxanne
Roxanne
@roxanne
9 years ago
1,562 posts
Well..every Christmas my father in law, a DEA agent, and his sister a nun, would fight over who made he better stuffing.It would be funny if they weren't actually serious. LOLBut my new favorite tradition is the new one my husband and I started with out kids and that is to find a need somewhere and fill it.It completely takes the angst off all the other holiday stress...to get in touch with someone who really *needs* help.In this way we find so much to be grateful for. And the boots we may have wanted seem to grow dull in comparison to what joy that money might bring to someone else. I truly hope my children will carry on that tradition as they grow older. I know we didn't invent this tradition...but I'm glad we finally embraced it.Today we'll bring food to the local Food Pantry. I understand they have been inundated.
Bruce
Bruce
@bruce
9 years ago
207 posts
My favourite is the present at the bottom of the bed, this is the one present that is allowed to be opened without everybody in attendance. Over the years as the children have got older it has grown into the present that sets the tone for Christmas. Mrs Bruce and I hide in the bedroom until they get up and chew the pillows until they go downstairs but alas the kids have turned into adults and this year could be the last time we do it. (( sob )) Merry Christmas Everybody
Retrogirl
Retrogirl
@retrogirl
9 years ago
317 posts
Aw, what a nice tradition!"It would be funny if they weren't actually serious."ROTFL!!! That sounds a lot like my family. They'd make great cartoon characters!
Retrogirl
Retrogirl
@retrogirl
9 years ago
317 posts
Awww... nice!
Retrogirl
Retrogirl
@retrogirl
9 years ago
317 posts
Ha ha! Sounds like you enjoy Christmas even more than the kids!
Retrogirl
Retrogirl
@retrogirl
9 years ago
317 posts
Oh, how sad! {{{Hugs}}} for Grandma!! I used to love going to my Grandma's house at Christmas too. Sounds like we had a very similar situation. After my Grandma sold her house, it just wasn't the same anymore.
Retrogirl
Retrogirl
@retrogirl
9 years ago
317 posts
That's awesome! I'm sure that's pretty rare the parent having to wake the kids up!!! I remember my brother waking me up at 5am to go open presents!
Retrogirl
Retrogirl
@retrogirl
9 years ago
317 posts
I love the Santa key! Sometimes tradition can be restrictive too! Getting together & eating, how can you go wrong with that?!?
Retrogirl
Retrogirl
@retrogirl
9 years ago
317 posts
That's very cool!
Retrogirl
Retrogirl
@retrogirl
9 years ago
317 posts
Wow! Does that sound fun! I'm coming to your house next year!!!
Retrogirl
Retrogirl
@retrogirl
9 years ago
317 posts
That is awesome! Makes me miss my Grandma. She was my favourite person growing up. I loved going to her house. When she moved out, I wanted to buy it so badly, but it was in a small town 1 hours' drive away from the city. It just wasn't practical. I still miss that house. :( She sounds a lot like your Grandma, she cooked & sewed, and my mom said she could play the piano by ear, but she didn't have one in the house. She was always singing & humming. I was kind of mystified because my mom said she didn't even like cooking, but she was an amazing cook! Mom always said she would've rather been outside with the horses. She had an amazing garden too.

Want to reply? Login here

From Our Sponsors

• empath book