Feeling like a social pariah

To post a reply, login or signup

Kristin R
@kristin-r
3 years ago
11 posts
I have been feeling like a social pariah at work lately. I feel like people are giving me weird looks when I talk, don't understand me, think I'm generally odd, and I feel often forgotten. I don't think I have worked at a workplace, before, that has made me feel so out of sorts. It's starting to cause me major social anxiety, and I feel like I am withdrawing from others more. On top of this, I'm feeling burned out at my job from long hours, an insane pace, detailed and intense paperwork, constant corrections and over-management...I'm feeling like I'm becoming worse and worse at my job and I'm losing all interest in being social. I'm not sure if I'm posting this more for my own need to finally say how I feel about things or for help. With that said, I would greatly appreciate feedback and suggestions from you all. Thank you.
updated by @kristin-r: 01/22/17 12:17:27PM
inlanddan
@inlanddan
3 years ago
387 posts

Hi Kristin, I know for me I tend to always think the worse of peoples reactions to me. I know that some empaths feel this way quite a bit. We have self doubt. The more I have become grounded as an empath the less I feel like this. Mind you I still have my issues. It is also very normal for us to pull away from be social too. I really tend to isolate myself from people. It could be the same self doubt.

I hope this helps at least a little to know you are not alone with this.

Dan : )

Emmy Long
@emmy-long
3 years ago
484 posts
This happens to me sometimes too. What I've learned helps is finding some kind of common ground with these people. Even if it's small and just on a business level. For example, talking about what goes on outside of work may not be a relatable topic for you with others because as an empath you most likely lead a different life than them, but you all work in the same place and that is something in common. If you are with people and they are talkig about something that happened in the work place like a new uniform or an extremely interesting meeting, try to talk to and relate to them on that. You don't have to hide yourself or be somebody different to fit in, but you don't have to necessarily bring any of your personal life to work. If everyone is talking about how much they like the new office coffee maker and you think it's nicer than the old one too then throw in a little comment on how you agree that it's better also. Just make sure you aren commenting only to fit in and sound desperate, just say something like "oh I know the old one always left coffee grounds in the coffee." Finding common ground with people helps them to feel comfortable around you, even if it's something as small as a new coffee maker. Our coworkers don't have to be out friend outside of work, sometimes just being coworkers is ok.
Emmy Long
@emmy-long
3 years ago
484 posts
Also I should add that some people are just simply mean and very cliquish. There's nothing you're doing wrong, they just feel they're better than others and want to make them feel unimportant. If this is the case and it's a small group of people at your work doing the eye rolls it's best to leave them be and move onto making small talk with people who aren't so pretentious and stuck up. I will never understand how some people feel exclusivity brings them importance. Some people are just mean.
inlanddan
@inlanddan
3 years ago
387 posts

Hi, I would like to add that in general I feel society has become very narcissistic over all. Compassion and empathy are becoming a part of the past. I think "they" whoever they is wants to keep it this way.

Dan : )

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book