Qi Gong - negative side-effects?

To post a reply, login or signup

Chrisis
@chrisis
3 years ago
39 posts

Has anyone experienced yet negative effects from practising Qi Gong?

I've taken a Qi Gong evening couse last year. In the beginning, I experienced it as positive and I felt more centred but then I had to stop it because instead of getting more energy and feeling better, I was feeling totally exhausted after the courses, my body hurt all ower the way and it kept me from sleeping at night, this state continuing for up to a week (until the next course). Also, there was not a feeling of energy flowing more freely after doing the Qi Gong exercises , it felt more as if I had done any sort of physical exercise, like swimming or running (and way to much of it).

Does anybody have an explanation for this?

Chris

updated by @chrisis: 06/11/17 01:19:13AM
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
3 years ago
1,185 posts

I did not have the above problems with Qi Gong. My problems were more mundane, ie. it made my knee joints hurt really bad and no other form of exercise does that. There is way too much squatting and then twisting the body and I have hyper extensive knee joints.

I now do a 4 exercise short healing Qi Gong set each morning, because I have a serious illness. That seems to put me in a better mood, but only takes about 3 minutes. The rest of my routine is range of motion, stretching, strength training and light aerobics.

I can understand why there might be problems with this for empaths though. I am one but do not know why I do not have that problem. It did make me feel better at first before it got worse though, similar to what you said.

Cheshire Cat

Chrisis
@chrisis
3 years ago
39 posts

I do not know if the pain was along acupuncture meriadians, I'm not familiar with acupuncture and it's some months ago (yes, I've taken a really long time to come to the conclusion that I could ask here on the community ... oO ) I just remember a sharp pain over the whole body and that I had to take a hot bath in the middle of the night to be able to relax enough to sleep a bit. After this experience, I did not retourn to the course.

Perhaps it was the same effect as had justlooking, and the pain was showing that it actually worked. So, I think I'll try some Qi Gong exercises at home, in small doses, and without other people, to see, if this happes again.

Thanks a lot for the answers

Chris

Fly~Robin~Fly
@flyrobinfly
3 years ago
731 posts

You explained that really well, Tony. :)

Chrisis
@chrisis
3 years ago
39 posts

I started now to practice a 10 minutes sequence every day, that I learned in the course. (Nei Yang Gong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pQjpzxkeKE&feature=youtu.be)

What I found out so far: I should not do it in the evening. I tried this, and it made me totally nervous and gave me an antsy feeling all over my body. When I'm doing it in the morning, it feels good, and I feel better afterwards. So, lets see if there're going to be "long-time" effects :)

Angel
@angel
3 years ago
607 posts

It sounds like you might benefit from it during the daytime :) My experience with it is, in a sense, total loss of control, there is alot of energy, your physical body is moving alot, and though there is certain things they do, it's not really controlled energy. The idea, I think is to shake off the negative energy but there is really no place this energy is going except all over the place,lol. So it sounds like this type of activity may just get your nervous system on overload. What's good for one, may not be good for everyone, so if it's not working for you. I would try something else ")

Chrisis
@chrisis
3 years ago
39 posts

Hi Kelly,

We did a lot of warm up and self massage exercises to begin with, but nothing like cleaning exercises. It was a relativly mixed group, a lot of people over 50, it's possible I could have picked up bad energy, I' still learning to shield. I hat the impression that the whole thing was overstraining me. I did not talk to the instructer about it, because I'm rather sure he would not have understood it and his standard response anyway was, that we had to practice at home. Only, I could not manage it at that time to practice at home for several reasons.

The daily 10 minutes in the morning or early afternoon I'm doing now (alone and at home) seem to be doing me some good, though.

Where I live there's not a big choice of local courses so I took the first one that was in my vicinity at a time that was possible for me. He hat learnend from chinese masters, so I think he was not to bad as an instructor, but I think he saw it all more from the physical point of view.

Chrisis
@chrisis
3 years ago
39 posts

Hi Angela,

wow, I always thought it was rather the other way around because with me always having my head in the clouds :)

I'm rather new with chakras. I just boght a book with exercises for clearing and activating chakras, but it's recommanded in the book to start with the lowest. So, I think I'd rather follow the instructions, since they include clearing exercises, event if that means I'l have to stay a pear for some time :o)

thank you for sharing our thoughts

Paul
@paul
3 years ago
916 posts

All, I've interested in Qi Gong but have not followed through and now I read this, I asked my trusy pendulum if that was a good thing to practice and it said NO. So much for that! I have a feeling that the energy being drawn is not from the Source and will be tainted by other things and thus the reason why its not recommended. If the energy is drawn from the Source, there should be no reason why its bad, but I do not know of a way to do that other than through Reiki practice.

Paul
@paul
3 years ago
916 posts

I know of one other person that does Qi Gong after a Reiki session to clear/deal with energy. A properly attuned Master does not need this at all and frankly its not needed. You should not be picking up any bad energy from anyone or using your own energy for healing. I have taken so much Crud of people and it does not stick to me at all. Doing Reiki is its own channeling and mixing things can get some in trouble. Connection to the Source is key here and the energies have a way of doing what they want. Energy work is NOT A GAME! It should be approached with respect. Doing otherwise will spell big trouble for those that think its a game. Just recently the energies available have increased by about 10 fold. Even more reason to show respect.

Sarah
@sarah
3 years ago
386 posts

Yes! I was going to a weekly Qi Gong class at the beginning of the year and I'd get sick in the middle of it each time, and stay not feeling well for days. After a while of this happening over and over, I asked an energy worker friend to see what was going on. She said it is too overwhelming for my spirit right now and to not do it for a while. I still can't do it because it's just too much for me.

Chrisis
@chrisis
2 years ago
39 posts

Hi everybody :) A Happy New Year!

So, for anyone still interested in my little selfexperiment: I practiced the qi gong exercises for some time regularly but I now decided definetly not to practice them anymore. I found out that on the one hand, it seemed to do me some good. But on the other hand, I got the feeling, that the exercises made me kind of numb and a bit disorientated. I do not want to offend anybody, but I begin to get the impression, that this kind of exercises are not necessarily designed to get us on a higher level (spiritually) but rather to make human beeings (that is the body) function better and longer - because that is what it did to me. Perhaps this is only the case for the exercises I learned and cannot be gereralized.

Chris

Sarah
@sarah
2 years ago
386 posts

That's an interesting insight. I never thought about that before. I think you are on to something. Thanks for sharing.

Visitor
@visitor
2 years ago
303 posts

I used to take yoga and although it left my muscles feelings nice and stretchy, I would get a delayed-reaction depression that hit me really hard. I've had a hard time finding out why I can't exercise hard without getting seriously blue, but Tony's explanation makes sense.

I do very light exercise like walking. I don't have an answer for you, sorry, but I'm glad to be on this forum, because everybody else I talk to says I'm crazy (or lazy).

Ecila
@ecila
2 years ago
898 posts

I do a little qi gong in the mornings and it gives me an energized effect. I've never gone to a class, though, so no possibility of interference from other's energies. Since you are working with energies, if is possible that you became a bit overloaded. I wouldn't give it up and working at home at your own pace seems to be the ticket. I do yoga at night and it is very relaxing. Sometimes it does leave me really sore, though, and I've been taking some magnesium for that. I think both are great and have too many benefits to count, physically, energetically, mentally, etc.

Caren
@caren
last year
1 posts
Hi Chris,I hope you don't mind me replying to your thoughts and experiences with qigong, with my own thoughts and experiences. About 8/9 years ago I met my tai chi instructor. and the things you talk about happened to me. When I would tell my instructor he guided me and pointed out how to change what I was doing to avoid those things. It's been a difficult path for me as I was never motivated, was afraid of everything, worried about the whole world and cried a lot. My instructor taught me a lot, but I was the one who had to put the work in. Tai chi and qigong work on your physically body, your mental state, and your emotions to bring them back into a state of balance. Then it works on spirituality, I like to call it inner happiness. It was a long hard road for me. There were many tears as past hurts healed. There were many muscle aches as I built muscle tone from the inside outwards.Today, many of my fears have gone, my anxiety and stress has gone, my confidence has grown. My physical ailments have corrected themselves. And my sensitivity has not become more fragile, it too is balancing. It has helped me to let go of a lot of stuff that was holding me back in life. My only regret is that I wasn't doing it from a much younger age and given the opportunity to enjoy life a lot sooner.I'm sorry for going on so long. I just wanted to share my experience with you. And I'm sorry it didn't work out for you.
Visitor
@visitor
last year
303 posts

I've had a similar problem with yoga classes. I would feel nice and stretched out until a few hours afterward, when I would get overwhelmingly depressed and exhausted. People told me I was crazy, that yoga was "supposed to make you feel better" and I wasn't "reacting the right way". But research has taught me that other people react this way to intense exercise, especially if they're in a room full of other people and can absorb all their energy, positive and negative. I feel better after a leisurely walk.

I

Visitor
@visitor
last year
303 posts

Justlooking - if you're a physical emphath, you pick up physical pain from other people. I just pick up emotions, so I feel depressed after a workout.

Chrisis
@chrisis
last year
39 posts

Ecila, Caren, Visitor.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I do a little yoga myself at home and I always feel better afterwards. I tried doing the Qi Gong exercises alone at home but I stopped this because I always felt a bit "beside myself" afterwards. Sure it would help to get instructions from a Qi Gong teacher whom I could tell I was an empath - but I did not have enough trust in my teacher at that time to share such information about me. Interesting to know though, that yoga can have a similar effect.

I tried something different, in the meantime, that is finding and deleting inferfering "soul contracts" (I'm not sure if this is the right translation). The first time I did this was a real overwhelming experience and there was a whole lot of "me" coming back to me. I didn't think of it until now, but perhaps I should try the Qi Gong exercises once more, to see if it made a change.

best wishes and thanks for sharing

Chris

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book