How did you know you were an empath?

Emmy Long
Emmy Long
@emmy-long
4 years ago
486 posts
I'm 22 and have begun to wonder if the way in which I can so easily understand and know people goes beyond "normal" observational skills. I often know what a person is feeling when I walk up to them. I used to think I was picking up on subtle clues like facial expressions or posture, but now I'm not so sure. Recently I have also noticed people tend to feel how I want them to about me or just situations in general, is part of an empath being able to alter moods? Or am I just able to relate to them more and so I can manipulate them easier? If anyone could fill me in on how they knew they were an empath that would greatly help me in discovering myself, or even if they wanted to try to read me and see if they can tell. I'm open to anything, I just want answers.
updated by @emmy-long: 09/03/18 11:10:55AM
Emmy Long
Emmy Long
@emmy-long
4 years ago
486 posts
That all seems very similar to what I have gone through so thank you very much for that. It's nice to know other people have gone through similar things because I was honestly a little scared when I first realized I was different. And I did not mean I can really interfere with other people's emotions but that like if a friend comes to me and they are upset, I sometimes feel like I can calm them down more easily than it's people. I would never try to make another person feel something they truly didn't feel for themselves. I just feel like sometimes I can show people the truth if they are feeling irrationally or I can calm them down if they are upset.
The Importance of Being Jonny
The Importance of Being Jonny
@the-importance-of-being-jonny
4 years ago
794 posts

For a long time I made it my business to know what kinds of supernatural abilities there were, whether fictional or real. About 12 or so years ago, I had this innate inkling that I was an empath. But back then, I didn't know half as much as I do now. So because I only thought it meant to feel other people's emotions, I thought that maybe I wasn't one since that's not what I was experiencing. But there's so much more to being an empath than feeling emotions. We're energy feelers. Everything is energy and that can come across as emotional energy that may affect us in relation to someone else. Even though I had given up on researching what an empath REALLY was, I still instinctually knew I was an empath. A few years later I did a google search for "Am I an empath?" and I found a bunch of traits which was like reading a book about my life and that then led me here. I think for a good chunk of us, we "know" we're different, but we may not know how different. For me, I knew I was different, but I also knew I was an empath. It was just something inside of me that knew. Some of us can be oblivious to our true natures, others just know.

Want to reply? Login here

From Our Sponsors

• empath book