Dreams about smoking

To post a reply, login or signup

Sarah
@sarah
2 years ago
386 posts

Lately, I keep finding myself smoking cigarettes in my dreams. The other night, it was so real that I wondered if I had gone back to a past life where I was a smoker or was on another plane and it wasn't a dream or something. It was very five senses and familiar and felt nice.

In real life, I've never been a smoker. I tried a cigarette once more than 20 years ago and after a few puffs threw it in the river and never tried it again. A lot of my extended family were smokers and died from it. I have always been tempted by smoking even though I've seen my relatives in their coffins dead from it, and even though I tried it once and didn't like it. I think it looks soothing and comforting and I'm a person with anxiety, so anything that would help me feel comfort is appealing on some level.

I feel like it is significant in my dreams, but when I look up possible meanings, they don't quite fit. It might have something to do with my need for comfort, or maybe my new life away from my church and away from the traditions I was taught, like almost a rebellious freedom. It might have to do with me putting away the cultural expectations of my old life and delving more deeply into my artist life that is more true to my nature.

I can't imagine it, for me anyways, as an all the way good or all the way bad symbol, but I think it means something. Any insights?

updated by @sarah: 03/02/17 02:36:00PM
Sarah
@sarah
2 years ago
386 posts

Since I posted this, I'm still having dreams about them. This morning I dreamed they were naughty and rebellious. I dreamed I was going to sneak out of the house in the wee hours of the morning and get some, but the Queen of England woke up and stopped me. :D

Ecila
@ecila
2 years ago
898 posts

The Queen of England....hahahaha. Maybe that is your higher authority. I think you interpreted the dream already. Rebellious freedom seems to fit perfectly to me. Smoking is a self-soothing action. Even though you don't, you are familiar with it from seeing your relatives do it. You must feel a little guilty about choosing your own path. I'll guess the dreams will stop after you fully accept your choices.

Sarah
@sarah
2 years ago
386 posts

You are probably right. :) Thanks!

Sarah
@sarah
2 years ago
386 posts

You know, I hadn't thought about it being about feeling kind of bad and naughty because I haven't fully accepted my choices about it all. That's really interesting and makes a ton of sense, especially where I've been lately on this journey. Thanks again!

Ecila
@ecila
2 years ago
898 posts

You're welcome. Guilt trips are one of my fortes:)

Sarah
@sarah
2 years ago
386 posts

Falling for guilt trips is a special talent of mine as well! :D

Ecila
@ecila
2 years ago
898 posts

I think you said you were raised in a very christian house? I was too, and the guilt tripping seems to go along with that. I have had to really work on getting rid of the condemnation that I always heard growing up....still do, really. That is my biggest problem with christianity, all the guilt they want to bestow on innocent people.

Sarah
@sarah
2 years ago
386 posts

I totally agree. Guilt has a crippling and crushing effect and it's not how God would work. It's too bad that it happens so much in churches.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book