HI there :)

To post a reply, login or signup

Nea
@nea
4 years ago
201 posts

I always had a story in my mind, and I wrote alot of poems in my teens and tweens, I am still working on becoming an author, but right now I am feeling very much like starting to express myself with painting and drawings. As a beginner, I was wondering if you guys have any advice for me - I essentially want to make paintings, but I know I'm no genius I just want to paint for myself, but I can't start with acrylic or such, I need some basic drawing skills first, so I need to practice. What do you guys think I should start practicing? :)

Nea

updated by @nea: 03/04/17 08:38:32AM
Kimberly Mayer
@kimberly-mayer
4 years ago
20 posts

you should start perfecting basic shapes in both 2-d and 3-d. i personally liked it when i started out with charcoal because it's so much easier to be able to give pictures dimension and you don't have to struggle with the different colors yet. also do simple things like setting up some vases or spread out some fruit and practice drawing those. also try to get some basic drawing and paintings books. you can find some simple ones atMicheal's along with other art supplies. also give yourself a 1 inch border for each picture you do too. also another tip, if you ever plan to do watercolor paint be sure to get cold pressed paper in the future. have fun! :)

Nea
@nea
4 years ago
201 posts

Thanks for your adivce! I actually thought of charcoal, so I have bought that already, I figured it was a good idea to leave out the colors at first. :) What is the 1 inch border good for?

Nea

Kimberly Mayer
@kimberly-mayer
4 years ago
20 posts

sometimes when you're painting you don't want the paint to get everywhere like on a table or where ever and also if you ever decide to frame your picture then that way you don't cut off anything from the picture

Nea
@nea
4 years ago
201 posts

Okay, thanks, that makes sense. :)

Chrisis
@chrisis
4 years ago
39 posts

hi there back :)

(3 months later ... oO)

there are a lot of online free tutorials for drawing an I can recommend the book "drawing with children" which gives a good method if you never ever have been drawing before.

but why do you feel you need to get basic skills before you start? You can start rigth on - Art doesn't have to be realistic. If you want tho express (or find out about) your emotions, all you need to do is just to draw or paint what comes into your head - or rather into your hand, to much thinking makes it more difficult.

to find out about your preferred medium, you have to try out - paint or draw with anything you can get your hands on.

To practise drawing is a good thing to develop your skills -but not a condition to start "the real thing" ! :-)

Nea
@nea
4 years ago
201 posts

Thanks! I appreciate the guidance. :) I really need an outlet for expressing myself, drawing included.

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book