Neighbors miserable kitten

To post a reply, login or signup

4peace
@4peace
last year
187 posts

Hi Everyone,

My neighbors kitten escapes from her house and shows up at my door almost everyday begging to be let in.  She's miserable, and I have to give her back.  The neighbor said I could keep her, but I'm only allowed one pet in this apartment:(  She's breaking my heart.  She purrs when I pick her up, then as I'm walking to the neighbors door she starts growling - she does not feel loved at all :(  Any suggestions???

Much love,

Rhonda

updated by @4peace: 03/20/17 02:30:10AM
Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
last year
1,185 posts

Hi Rhonda,

I have been in this situation too, except I was not allowed to have any pets at all, and I really feel for you. I felt I just had to rescue the kitten and was prepared to violate my lease, forfeit my security deposit and move. I told my landlord exactly what had happened and why I had the kitten, and he surprised me by actually having a heart. He told me that I was such an excellent tenant, always paying rent on time, being quiet, and keeping the place clean, that he would let me have the cat, since he knew I would keep the place clean even with a pet. This was a 3 apartment house though, not a huge impersonal apt. complex. I don't know your situation, but I find that often when I step out on faith and I do what I feel is right, things fall into place. Only you can feel what is right in this one. Maybe the kitten could live with you, but you can say it just "visits" you a lot because it likes to play with your other cat, and the neighbor could agree to go along with this story and say it is still hers and lives with her, in case you get caught. This is breaking my heart too, and I'm not there......I wish you the best solution for all involved. 

4peace
@4peace
last year
187 posts

Chesire cat - I was thinking along the same lines.  Say I was babysitting or something if caught.  Let the lady have the kitten back on the days they come for pest control - once a month for a few hours - or try to take it out of the house with me :)  My husband doesn't want another cat, but I think he caved - just have to make sure.  Have you seen the meme that says, "Wife wants a cat.  Husband doesn't want a cat.  They compromised and the wife gets a cat."  - something like that :)

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
last year
1,185 posts

That sounds like a very good compromise. I hate it when they subject pets, especially small ones to pesticides. 

I am glad your husband has caved. Mine would already have the neighbor's cat that we take care of inside if it were not for me and my allergies. He loves her dearly, since he misses our last cat, who was his lap cat. She was an Abyssinian rescue, and they are the most affectionate of breeds.  I haven't seen the meme you mention, but I have seen one where the husband does not want the cat, so she is offering up the husband for sale instead. ;-)

I am married and own a home now. My experience that was so similar to yours happened a long time ago when I was single, but we presently have what I call a timeshare cat, lol. The cat comes from a home one block away with 9 others and she wants to be an only cat, so she came to our house, choosing the only nearby home with a totally fenced yard that did not have a dog, but did have lots of landscaping to play in and a couple of suckers for cats, ie. myself and my husband. It was obvious the cat was being fed, but not enough, due to her refusal to go home, so we followed her back to her home when she got hungry, and I've become friends with the owner.

The owner provides the food and Vet services, though she gets no shots, due to this woman's religious beliefs,  and we provide flea meds during summer, since she does not believe in medications and we got fleas in our house at first. The cat lives outdoors except that it sleeps in my husband's workshop office in a bed he made her which I lined with sheepskin for cold nights. This is central Florida, so she is in no danger.

I am allergic to cats now, so promised the doctor not to get anymore after our last one died, and we are old and cannot afford the Vet bills now, and have no friends left who are willing to take the cat if we pass on. It works pretty well, though sometimes we have to buy food, since she doesn't have time to come over and deliver it in time, and we are feeding only what she wants to feed the cat, which is the very best, plus evaporated milk, which I do not agree with for cats, due to their lactose intolerance, but it is not our cat, so I oblige. 

Cats always seem to know how to find those who love them and can't turn them away. They are not only beautiful and unique, but smart, as I'm sure you'll agree. :-)

Cheshire Cat

P.S. I think I told you this before, but I had a cat named Rhonda that looked almost exactly like the one you used to use as your Avatar. 

Cheshire Cat
@cheshire-cat
last year
1,185 posts

@4peace,

OOPS. Senior moment. I got you mixed up with Cat Whisperer, when I mentioned your previous Avatar looking like a cat I had long ago named Rhonda. That was her previous Avatar, not yours. That must have confused you, sorry. I have a serious brain injury and memory problems from Lyme Disease as well, and sometimes my eggs get scrambled.....in this case it was scrambled cat Avatars, lol.

Cheshire Cat

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book