Animal Intelligence

To post a reply, login or signup

Bill Walker
@bill-walker
6 years ago
729 posts

ANIMAL INTELLIGENCE

A few weeks back I stopped at a McDonalds (A fact that I am not proud to admit, but this kind of made up for it.) when I had one of the most incredible fast food experiences that I have ever had. Im pretty sure that most of you have stopped at a fast food restaurant and noticed all the birds that hang out in the parking lot waiting for a dropped fry, or a board customer like me, who often will buy an extra order of fries and throw them to these hungry little souls who know how to coerce a free meal out of us humans.

At any rate, this time just after I got in the car to eat my meal and even before I considered what feathered friend might be expecting lunch, I looked up at the windshield of my car to notice that a little bit of a bird had landed right on my windshield wiper and was at first looking me in the eyes thru the glass and then shifting his gaze to my fries that I was holding. It was perfect in that this bird needed no other form of communication to get his message across. And he stayed right there as I opened my window and dropped fries one at time on the edge of the windshield wiper. After a number of fries I guess he was full and he took off.

First of all I encourage everyone to buy an extra order of fries for the birds during the winter months as the oil used to fry them is actually good for their feathers in the colder climates. But this also got me to wondering just what other incredible feats of intelligence that we humans here on EC have witnessed from either their domesticated animals or undomesticated wildlife that you might like to share?

This bird blew my mind because he knew exactly what he was doing and what he was asking for and so did I. In this instance he was the teacher and I was the student. I really want to hear your true stories and photos are welcome as well. And if I can come up with enough accounts I might even consider trying to edit them into a childrens book!

updated by @bill-walker: 04/23/17 01:24:39AM
Bill Walker
@bill-walker
5 years ago
729 posts

French fries probably are not the best of diets for birds, but I don't think that they really get a steady diet ofthem for the most part. And I usually don't feed themfries in the summer months, just when it's cold. And I liked your story. Crows do some amazing things and I honestly believe that they are really smart!

Bill Walker
@bill-walker
5 years ago
729 posts

Very cool stream about crows guys. I'll have to do a little studying up on them. I already love to just watch them and try and figure out what they are thinking about. Thanks for the info.

Bill Walker
@bill-walker
5 years ago
729 posts

Cool, I'm a vegetarian sort of, I eat fish but am working to remove that from my diet as well!

Bill Walker
@bill-walker
5 years ago
729 posts

He talked to you spiritchild, just in his own way, that's all. And I'm sure that if you listen carefully, he still does!

Bill Walker
@bill-walker
5 years ago
729 posts

Hi Nancy,

The real answer is "NO" they have no idea. Their official answer was that fireworks scared the birds and they flew into each other. My response, "Really?" You've got to be kidding? Then how come we don't have thousands of birds flying, into each other, every fourth of July when there are a whole lot more fireworks then around New Years Eve and day?

Again, they have no idea and that was the best BS they could come up with. My guess is that they may well have flown into each other but it wasn't because of fireworks. I would bet it was something like an energy burst from the Harp radar, or something similar, that scrambled their brains and location system that left them completely terrified and confused.

Debbie Winchell (Loving Dove)
@debbie-winchell-loving-dove
2 years ago
49 posts

650_discussions.jpgI have a non-wild, non-bird story.

I used to have three cats. My oldest cat at the time, Midnight, had developed arthritis in her hips. She decided she would live in the living roombecause she was afraid that one of the youngercats would try to pounce on her otherwise. I set her up with her own litter box and food tray, anda dish of water at the window.

I bought her a heated cat bed that she liked very much.(She wouldn't sleep in the other one I hadafter her sister Jenny died.) It sat on top of a chest of drawers in the corner by the window. She would lie there and look out the window. The youngest cat Molly liked the bed, too, and would creep into it when she had the opportunity.

One day Midnight came over to me, looking bright-eyed and energetic. I thought she wanted to play. I tried tossing a ball to her a couple times. That wasn't it. I tossed the ball the other way, away from the sofa where she was. Molly jumped out of the bed to chase the ball and Midnight quickly ran across and climbed into the heated cat bed. I was very impressed of the ploy that Midnight had to think of and plan so that she could get into the cat bed.

Bill Walker
@bill-walker
2 years ago
729 posts

Yes indeed, totally intelligent, no question!

Share This

From Our Sponsors

• intuitive reading
  • empath book