Invigorating the Solar Plexus Chakra
Note: This blog entry is part of a series on psychic development. Find the index for the series here.
The solar plexus chakra is related to personal power, strength of will, and self-esteem. An imbalance in this chakra can result in a reduced ability to maintain appropriate personal boundaries, a common problem for empaths. Imbalances can also affect our ability to turn our desires into reality, and to feel good about ourselves.
I've decided that I quite like the videos that I found while researching options for the sacral chakra, so here's the one for the solar plexus:
I have to admit that as much as I have been and will continue to be a "meditationcures everything!" type of person, I'm not big on meditations for the solar plexus. My feeling is that awakening the solar plexus (which is one of my personal problem areas) is best done through taking action. My favorite method is lifting weights at the gym, but if I were a runner, I'd probably prefer that. Anodea Judith lists many suggestions in her book (page 172-173), and here are the ones I like best:
- Breaking inertia -- Do something different. If you are sluggish, get moving. If you are hyperactive, be still. Break boring repetitive patterns, and choose a challenge. Overcoming difficulties increases strength and confidence. Power is seldom developed by clinging to security. Give up being safe and your power chakra will awaken more quickly.
- Avoid invalidation -- Criticism from those who do not understand your situation can sometimes be more detrimental than helpful, especially if you are a sensitive person who takes it to heart. Often when we are undertaking something new and uncertain, invalidation can be an instant power-crippler - stopping the sensitive person dead in their tracks. Remember, as Albert Einstein said, "New ideas meet their greatest opposition from those who misunderstand them."
- Effort and resistance -- Both effort and resistance are tiring and wear down our energy. They are both a sign that our power is not flowing harmoniously. When you find yourself straining with effort, stop. Think about what you are doing and imagine doing it without effort - smoothly, enjoyably. Ask yourself why you are so attached to this particular thing. Ask yourself why it's taking so much effort - what's missing that would make it flow smoothly? If you are in constant resistance to some force, stop. Ask yourself why this force is manifesting in your life at this time. Resistance is often fear, the opposite of power. What is it you are afraid of? Imagine what would happen if you stopped resisting. How can your will protect you with less effort or resistance?
- Breaking attachments -- Energy that is directed toward something that is not manifesting is energy that is "hung up," caught, or otherwise useless. If, after reasonable effort, something is not working, let it go. The energy you feel when the attachment no longer has control over you can be exhilarating. The more you release, the less friction there is on your energy. The lighter you become, the more you move toward spirit and away from matter. Be careful not to go too far, however, for the Earth plane is where the power manifests, and without some solidity, the power may become too diffused.
- Anger -- Releasing blocked anger in a safe and effective way can sometimes help to unblock the third chakra. This is best done in conjunction with grounding and is an excellent way of using the energy within you to bring about change - at least in your state of mind, if not your circumstances. Blocked power is very often blocked anger. Anger is a potent and cleansing force, but it is hard earned and should be spent wisely. It's not worth damaging loved ones for things we need to work out within ourselves.
- Laughter -- Taking things too seriously can really make us lose touch with our power. If we can laugh at a situation, we have power over it. Whenever things seem at their worst, remember to laugh at yourself.
- Take care of yourself -- If you don't, no one else will. You know what you want and need better than anyone else. If you care for yourself, this decreases your need to get it from outside and need is often inversely proportional to power.